If you decide to dump dig railroad sites -

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
Here's what we do and use = first after detecting things, find the old dump by looking for discarded rusty cans, concrete pieces, glass fragments. The dump will be away from the house site, probably out back or off to the side. Once in a while it's across the tracks. Downwind and out of sight is desireable.
I use a 4 pronged rake like this to scratch around the dump areas till I find the main stuff. I reinforced the end with wire so it wont pull off.

When you have found the main dump then sift it all using a flat type shovel , running all dirt through the screen. I made this swing away screen so the dirt can be thrown back when done.

Iput some magnets together in an aluminum housing to maker this foot long strong magnet that can be drug through the dirt. It's amazing what collects here. We look for railroad date nails mainly but the old buttons have iron backs and stick also. RR tags, fobs, all kind of things show up.

Lastly, here's a pull type magnet that works great and is fun to use. I bought it online. One can just walk around looking for things and pull it as you go.

So that's the basics of dump digging. We have taken literally thousands of things this way - give it a try in your area. steve in so az

Attachments

• rake.jpg
    rake.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,002
  • sifter.jpg
    sifter.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,994
  • small magnet.jpg
    small magnet.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,872
  • pull magnet.jpg
    pull magnet.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,882
What's a railroad date nail? I was metal detecting yesterday and found something resembling a nail that said 1870. Is that what you mean?

No - the date nails have only 1 or 2 numbers on the head and thats the year the track was laid. They are very collectible, some going for several hundreds of bux, most going for 5-10 bux. Like these - steve

Attachments

• date nails.jpg
    date nails.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,906
Excellent post Steve! I've dug a few dumps up in the woods of CT, and scored some great antique bottles, dating all the way from 1880 to the 1950s.
It's lots of work, but fun, and the bottles are cool. Thanks again for the great post.

Excellent post Steve! I've dug a few dumps up in the woods of CT, and scored some great antique bottles, dating all the way from 1880 to the 1950s.
It's lots of work, but fun, and the bottles are cool. Thanks again for the great post.

I used to do alot of Bottle Diving in CT and have a great collection. You know what the ol creed was way back when "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" So what a better place to throw you garbage but the water. :D

All great ideas! I can't wait to try out some of them!
I just love it when I find the rusty can pile to a site...the bigger the pile, the more people OR the longer the site was occupied.
I read in an archeology book a while back that some of their best finds are in trash dumps at sites, even the ancient sites, and most dump sites are: downwind and downhill, both of which put them out of site and out of mind.
I've got several spikes, but no dated ones yet.:(
Soon. Soon.

I grew up walking the RR tracks as a shortcut .We always tried to pull the numbered nails when we saw them .I think I'll walk the tracks this weekend.

Oh man, that magnet idea is great! I grade hike every year up here(old narrow gauge country) and have found some nice relics. Matter of fact I got a new tattoo last summer of the old South Park Line RR logo. People think I'm crazy but I love the RR.

Off to buy magnets.

Hidin - Me too - love the RR's that is. I collect Southern Pacific, ElPaso & South West, SantaFe, AZ Eastern. It is such a thrill to sift the dumps and come up with an article showing the RR logo , Steve in so az

Here's my favorite - the SP, a complete nail set.

Attachments

• sp set.jpg
    sp set.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,679
Thats a nice collection. My best-and favourite finds-are a silver plated Colorado&Southern spoon from a dining car and a Colorado&Southern bowl also from a dining car. Amazingly they both turned up on the hillside I live on. Unfortunately date nails are pretty rare up around here.

I looked up Colorado & Southern in my RR books and they used date nails from 1916 through 1930 . There should be some around you if you found the other things. Look in fence posts, along any existing Rr lines, etc. Steve in so az

The rails along here between Denver and Breckenridge were torn up in 1938/9. For the most part the current state highway is on top of the old grade. I live right up the hillside from the old grade and have found everything But date nails.(buckets of spikes anyone??). I'm sure not about to quit looking any time soon.

hidin - If you get the book shown in my post below - "what you find at rr sites "_ the one for your area, it will show you all the rr lines connected with your rr line. They sometimes had spurs running off - other lines connecting, stops on the rr you didnt know about, etc. Steve in so az

My younger bro is also a big dump digger, detector and rr fan(I got him hooked on the first two). We spend a lot of time trying to outdo each other in finding out more history of the rr's and coming up with maps, books and any other resources we can get our hooks on. He sent me some great topo software that shows old grades and can be downloaded to my GPS.

Now that the weather is almost stable(these are the Rockies after all) I can get out and do some grade hiking. Only problem around here is that some sections you can see right from the highway but they call for some extensive hiking over, around, up and down the mountain before you can actually get to them. Plus climbing over Forest Service barbed wire fencing gets old after a while. I would like to take my detector with me but you can see that it would be pretty difficult to take that along on a mtn hike. Its mostly eyeballing.

Im so glad to come across another railroad fan. :)

Hidin - The very best sites for old RR stuff have been those that took a hike in. Most people wont put out the extra effort to get in. As a result, we are still finding virgin RR sites. Unfortunately, been doing it so long that I have been along almost every mile of RR lines in so Az - from El Paso, Tx to Nyland, Calif. steve in so az

Like I mentioned earlier, the old C&S(previously the DSP&P) has now been coverted to highway in most places which really stinks. I go out to check sidings and spurs but have to realize that the Colorado Railroad Society likes to get there first.(they have heard of me and we're now trying to outdo each other on finds). Hopefully this summer I can head further up into the mountains to some of the slightly more remote places. Unfortunately I go by myself so I have to consider accidentally breaking my fool neck out there or running into bears.

I want a lantern globe and have a friend who actually found one, only slightly cracked. Jealousy is such a good motivator.

Hidin - Here's a clock I made using date nails. steve

Attachments

• rr clock.jpg
    rr clock.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,159
Sanat Fe ashtray

For those of you that enjoy RR. Here is a pic of a little find I obtained years ago fomr an employee of the old Wabash Railroad.

I hope this works, its my first pic.

Enjoy, Paul

Attachments

• IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,557
Orlando - Here's the perfect "match" to your SF item :) Got this one off ebay. steve in so az

Attachments

• sf lighter.jpg
    sf lighter.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,531
Back
Top Bottom