Any tips on metal detecting a pond?

Jake12

Hi , my name is Jake , I'm new to the forum , I love metal Detecting and bottle digging. Anyway I have found a pond near my neighborhood it is actually a creek that once connected to a river . It has been there on all early maps of the area including a 1835 surveying map. Dose anyone have any good tips or were I should look for good places to detect around it? This is my first time metal detecting a pond so I am very excited. Thanks and have a great thanksgiving ! -Jake

I'll be interested in hearing some ideas too...I have a lead on a similar place. It's an old swimming hole but now it's all overgrown around it. Good luck man!

Not sure I could help much but think I'd look for maybe an old trail where it would be suitable for crossing the creek. Bank sides may be worn down a little too. Maybe a flat area with maybe some very old trees nearby that would be suitable for a campsite or something like that.

Sounds like an interesting place to hunt for sure..

That would depend on what you are looking for.

Since you mentioned the 1835 map, I'm asuming that you want the old stuff.

Have a look at the map again, and compare it to the modern version. If there's an old trail from the nearest village, then I would hit that area hard. Look for places where people would rest, and ask yourself where you would be, if you wanted to go fishing.

I would probably start out working the area around the pond in a wide W patern, with the big coil paying attention to the hotspots, and then hit those later with the small coil.

GL

/Steffen

Likely use a detector with discrimination.Iron lasts forever in fresh water.If you aren't a relic hunter that is.See if there used to be a popular swimming section.Also if it actually was part of a river,you might want to bring along a probe rod and "clunk" for antique bottles.They used to use rivers for garbage disposal back in the day.Also see if old maps show higher water levels years ago.Sometimes the finds aren't even in the water at all.

Hi thanks for the tips! I like looking for both relics and coins . I do have discrimation mode on mine . I don't no how deep it is im assuming it's quite deep . I compared it with a 1873 map and it is somewhat similar except a river that was once there is no longer there today. I'm hoping to find some bottles to as on the maps a house once existed there. Thanks again and have a great thanksgiving! -Jake

Back
Top Bottom