Special Procedure to Change ATP Coil?

Diggum

Elite Member
I'm hoping to have my new to me coil for my dad's ATP arrive tomorrow. With the F2, I do the super secret reset when I change coils (yes, it does work!). Is there any kind of reset or calibration procedure I need to do to swap coils on the Garrett?

I just do the factory reset and add a little dielectric grease to the O ring.

I haven't even bothered with the factory reset. Although I can't imagine that it hurts. I too recommend the dielectric grease. Not absolutely necessary in the beginning, but will help in the long run.

Thanks, all!

And the reset is just holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds until I get a double beep.

There is no need to do a factory reset with a coil change, that is personal preference. I always recommend (this may be after the fact) to get the lower rod and hardware for a simple and quick coil swap. Good success. HH

There is no need to do a factory reset with a coil change, that is personal preference. I always recommend (this may be after the fact) to get the lower rod and hardware for a simple and quick coil swap. Good success. HH

Just an fyi. In an email convo with Rusty from Garrett he said they recommended a reset with coil changes in order to prevent falsing. Was having issues and that was one of the first things he asked was if I had changed coils without doing a reset by powering it on and continuing to hold the power button down until it beeps again and resets it.....

From his email:

Good morning Ben. Thanks for being a Garrett customer and thanks for your patience . I certainly agree with you that $800.00 worth of product needs to be doing the job right ! I want to help you with that .That being said , it could just be your sensitivity is too high. I like that you tried another coil , that helps . Secondly , have you done a Factory Reset ??? It`s imperative to do a Factory Reset !when you change coils . Next , where is your sensitivity setting ? How is your coil cable wrapped ? These things really impact the performance of the detector. The coil cable should always !come over the top of the stem and wrapped snugly around it without any loose cable dangling above the coil that could create false signals. Since it is such a sensitive machine , if your sensitivity is too high , it will do just what you are describing . When you do a reset , it does 4 things . It automatically puts you in Std. Coins mode , puts you in F3 frequency , puts your sensitivity at TWO BARS BELOW full, and ground balances you at 80. These are optimal operating features and should be tried for testing your detector. All testing should be done outdoors away from outside electrical interference. Please try these things and see if it helps at all?

Best regards,

!

Rusty Curry

Customer Service and Sales

Applications Advisor

Garrett Metal Detectors

1881 West State Street

Garland , Texas 75042

1-800-527-4011

Sent from a hidden menu within my AT Pro

never thought about doing a factory reset when changing coils. makes sense though...

Just an fyi. In an email convo with Rusty from Garrett he said they recommended a reset with coil changes in order to prevent falsing. Was having issues and that was one of the first things he asked was if I had changed coils without doing a reset by powering it on and continuing to hold the power button down until it beeps again and resets it.....

From his email:

Good morning Ben. Thanks for being a Garrett customer and thanks for your patience . I certainly agree with you that $800.00 worth of product needs to be doing the job right ! I want to help you with that .That being said , it could just be your sensitivity is too high. I like that you tried another coil , that helps . Secondly , have you done a Factory Reset ??? It`s imperative to do a Factory Reset !when you change coils . Next , where is your sensitivity setting ? How is your coil cable wrapped ? These things really impact the performance of the detector. The coil cable should always !come over the top of the stem and wrapped snugly around it without any loose cable dangling above the coil that could create false signals. Since it is such a sensitive machine , if your sensitivity is too high , it will do just what you are describing . When you do a reset , it does 4 things . It automatically puts you in Std. Coins mode , puts you in F3 frequency , puts your sensitivity at TWO BARS BELOW full, and ground balances you at 80. These are optimal operating features and should be tried for testing your detector. All testing should be done outdoors away from outside electrical interference. Please try these things and see if it helps at all?

Best regards,

!

Rusty Curry

Applications Advisor

Garrett Metal Detectors

1881 West State Street

Garland , Texas 75042

1-800-527-4011

From his email:

Best regards,

!

Rusty Curry

Applications Advisor

Garrett Metal Detectors

1881 West State Street

Garland , Texas 75042

1-800-527-4011

+2

Back