• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Houston area parks and public property

It doesn't matter Tom if you leave without a trace. The bottom line is your not supposed to do it. No digging , no defacing , etc. If you want to disrespect the law and hunt...that's on you. Sure , lots of people speed in their cars. But does that make it right ?

Welcome to my world, here in Austin. Parks are off limits, and no farm fields like I had in Illinois. Every piece of farm/ranch land is fenced off and people are much more protective of property here in Texas.

I am hesitant to even pull into someone's driveway as the saying goes around here, shoot first, ask questions later.

There are small towns around that have older parks and sites but I've found that they have been very well detected already. I've also been told Texas had a pretty poor population up into the oil boom years, so that makes me believe not as much was lost to the ground if folks didn't have it to lose.

I went from an average of 50 silver coins a year to hardly a dozen since moving here 6 years ago. Of course I have kids now so don't detect as much as I used to, but still...seems like slim pickins.

Good luck and welcome to Texas!

It doesn't matter Tom if you leave without a trace. The bottom line is your not supposed to do it. No digging , no defacing , etc. If you want to disrespect the law and hunt...that's on you. Sure , lots of people speed in their cars. But does that make it right ?

So let me see if I understand you correctly : All the people we see proudly showing off their finds, on FMDF here, that found their stuff in parks, have "disrespected the law". Right ?

Because I guarantee you that there's not a single park in the entire USA without some variation of the wording. Are we all therefore lawless miscreants ? :?:

.... Houston cops are quick to get physical. ....

"Physical" against criminals. Sure. But trust me: Cops have much bigger fish to fry than geeks with detectors. In fact, I don't think anyone here will have any link to any account of an md'r being physically roughed up by a cop ANYWHERE.

Welcome to my world, here in Austin. Parks are off limits, ...

I just looked it up , and it turns out you can get a permit to search for a specifically lost item in Austin. (like if you lost your own ring). If you google "Austin, TX" + metal detecting, it's currently the 2nd hit on the page. In pdf. form.

Couple of thoughts on this :

a) I have a sneaking suspicion of how this "off-limits" status probably historically arose in Austin, TX. Care to take a guess ?

b) What's to stop you from loosing your ring, and simply applying for the permit to find it ? Heck, I loose a LOT of rings. :roll: And you can have your buddy run a "lost" ad on C.L., print it out, show that you are being a good citizen by helping the poor destitute person. And , he/you aren't *quite* sure where it went missing in the park. So you have to do wide search patterns. But not to worry : You have the "permit" that allows you to search now. Eh ?

So let me see if I understand you correctly : All the people we see proudly showing off their finds, on FMDF here, that found their stuff in parks, have "disrespected the law". Right ?

Because I guarantee you that there's not a single park in the entire USA without some variation of the wording. Are we all therefore lawless miscreants ? :?:
Good lord...I never said that. Why do you assume or perpetually fake words ? No. I am implying about the posters questions and a few others. Do you now work for CNN ? šŸ¤£

But I didn't say everyone here on fmdf hunting parks. Or in the world for that matter. Just YOU in that scenario !šŸ¤£

Oh, I got it now. It's Just me, and just me alone, that is held to that standard. Got it. :laughing:

I just looked it up , and it turns out you can get a permit to search for a specifically lost item in Austin. (like if you lost your own ring). If you google "Austin, TX" + metal detecting, it's currently the 2nd hit on the page. In pdf. form.

Couple of thoughts on this :

a) I have a sneaking suspicion of how this "off-limits" status probably historically arose in Austin, TX. Care to take a guess ?

b) What's to stop you from loosing your ring, and simply applying for the permit to find it ? Heck, I loose a LOT of rings. :roll: And you can have your buddy run a "lost" ad on C.L., print it out, show that you are being a good citizen by helping the poor destitute person. And , he/you aren't *quite* sure where it went missing in the park. So you have to do wide search patterns. But not to worry : You have the "permit" that allows you to search now. Eh ?

Yeah I am aware of the special circumstance permit but have not gone through the hassle. I enjoy country detecting anyways. Thanks for checking into it.

No clue in reference to question A. Do you know?

Last edited:
..... No clue in reference to question A. Do you know?

I'll bet that it was sincere well meaning md'rs, sometime in the past decades, who went in seeking permissions or clarifications. And this was dreamed up to "address their pressing issue ".

Just a hunch. As that is the exact lineage of many such origins.

I would go to a Austin park with a bunch of your friends and if anybody says anything, Tell them you are protesting and they will give you unlimited access to the park.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

You have the info on where you are allowed to hunt now. Whoever you contacted with the Parks Department is one of those people who dismiss every request with NO, because its easier for them! Instead of NO, that person should have told you to check their park website as there are some in which it is allowed! Bad on them!

Probably thought you would use their name if you got caught somewhere where you were not allowed! Saving their own butt.

You have the info on where you are allowed to hunt now. Whoever you contacted with the Parks Department is one of those people who dismiss every request with NO, because its easier for them! ...

And I'll go a step further than this : Not even is the psychology you cite true of places WITH EXPRESS ALLOWANCES (someone just says "no" because they envision geeks with shovels), but it's also true of places where it's simply silent on the subject (eg.: no prohibitions nor express allowances). Eg.: Someone simply whimsically decides "no", because they believe you'll harm earthworms or whatever.

Eg.: If I went in asking "Hi, can I stand in the park and spread peanut butter on my head and do jumping jacks ?", I'd probably be told that I need a parade permit, or something like that.

You have the info on where you are allowed to hunt now. Whoever you contacted with the Parks Department is one of those people who dismiss every request with NO, because its easier for them! Instead of NO, that person should have told you to check their park website as there are some in which it is allowed! Bad on them!

Probably thought you would use their name if you got caught somewhere where you were not allowed! Saving their own butt.

KT knows this because being a public employee for 40 years, He ran across many unthinking lazy people who put out no effort in their job. If KT had pulled that type of stunt and the boss had found out, KT would have been on the street looking for another job!

When KT started MDing Little Rock parks, He simply requested a copy of the city's regulations concerning activities in city parks, received it, read carefully, found no mention of MDing, so put it in my truck glove box and started hunting!

...found no mention of MDing, so put it in my truck glove box and started hunting!

What ? And had no red carpets rolled out for you ? No express "yes" for you ? No "permits" talked about ? SAY IT ISN'T SO ! After all , your hobby is as dangerous and evil as grenade practice, etc..... How could you be so thoughtless ? How could you be so presumptuous ? :laughing:

What ? And had no red carpets rolled out for you ? No express "yes" for you ? No "permits" talked about ? SAY IT ISN'T SO ! After all , your hobby is as dangerous and evil as grenade practice, etc..... How could you be so thoughtless ? How could you be so presumptuous ? :laughing:

:laughing::laughing: This was back in the early days when the Royal Persona was laboring under the handle Newbieshooter ! Ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom