Dune Scoops??

MKW

Do any of yall have a Dune scoop? Are they any good? I'm specifically looking at the Dune Loch Ness Mini because I want a smaller scoop to use in the dry, fluffy sand and it seems like a good size. Any input appreciated.

Looks like a good scoop. My only problem is, its too small. I like to have a wide scoop that can pick up a lot of sand. I had a smaller one and could never seem to get the target in one scoop. But if it works for you, that's all that matters! Happy hunting!

Thanks. The size is what I am looking for, just not sure about the build quality of these scoops.

To me they look like a cheap copy of the Stavr scoop... hopefully you won't find out the old saying... you get what you pay for... you need to find out the thickness of the scoop , whether those bracing tubes are hollow or solid... if it was me I would not go cheap... I would save my money up to buy a quality scoop... I have both a Sunspot scoop and a Stavr and use them both and have for years.

I have a few scoops hanging on the wall now NOT being used. Why? Because the more i hunted the better quality of scoop i needed AND i needed a scoop that would would both in the water and dry sand. Of course a lot depends on the amount of time you intend on being out there. There are a LOT of inexpensive scoops now it seems..... but use/wear and tear must be considered.

Thanks for the feedback. The scoop is 2mm stainless. This scoop will only be used in the dry where most everything is a fresh drop less than 4" deep. I don't hunt the beach very much as I am much more interested in relics than anything I might find on the beach.
If Stavr made one in this size, I'd get one. It's not about the money, it's the size that I like.

Keep in mind that even in dry sand you will still dig targets that will be 10-12" deep. The sand will be more compact , damp. Not all fresh drops are a few inches deep. Small scoop = 2,3,4 scoops. Compared to large scoop = 1 or 2. Pick your poison. Volume=time. The more targets the faster you recover will eventually lead to quality and quantity. GL...

Keep in mind that even in dry sand you will still dig targets that will be 10-12" deep. The sand will be more compact , damp. Not all fresh drops are a few inches deep. Small scoop = 2,3,4 scoops. Compared to large scoop = 1 or 2. Pick your poison. Volume=time. The more targets the faster you recover will eventually lead to quality and quantity. GL...

This^.
You cannot dig the dry loose sand out fast enough before it caves back in on itself. You'll take twice the time to go half the distance.

This^.
You cannot dig the dry loose sand out fast enough before it caves back in on itself. You'll take twice the time to go half the distance.
Yes , absolutely. I think it's actually harder to hunt the dry than the wet because of that reason. Though the wet is heavier , the target doesn't move as much. Sometimes it is an inch under and I just swoop my scoop under it , no foot action.

2 things about dry sand. #1- I can't stand walking in it. Wears me out real quick now that I'm older. #2 - Sometimes it's the only place where targets are at. After massive crowds and holidays , I will hit the towel line.

My first scoop was five inches. It was barely adequate for the task of hunting dry sand. It did not take me long before I upgraded to a larger scoop. . The one you mention should do what you want it to do. But it will require more scooping to get a target due to its size. From the photos and description it Appears to be of decent quality.

I have the Dune Poseidon scoop. It's excellent quality for sure! But with that said...I ended up buying a Coob Shark v7...why? The Dune was way too small! It's too small in width, as others stated...the sand "squirts" out and I missed the target often. Now with my much larger scoop it's great!

You all have made some very valid points. I have decided to bite the bullet and order a Xtreme Scoop. Buy once, cry once, right??

Back
Top Bottom