Tried a new type of hunting last night

Treasurekidd

Elite Member
Coin roll hunting! I had a nice quiet night ahead of me last night, so I figured I'd give roll hunting a try. Ran to the corner bank and picked up $20.00 in pennies, and didn't do too bad:

Wheats
1940P -1
1945P -1
1952P -1
1952D -2
1956D -1
1958P -2

Also found a 1942 Canadian penny and a 2003 Barbados penny. There were lots of newer Canadians, didn't keep those though. I also made an .18 cent profit, finding 2 clad dimes, which I replaced with pennies. The wheaties were all in avg circulated shape or worse, but better than most that I've dug. All in all, I did better then I thought I would. Good enough to make me want to try again, so the $20 is going back to the bank for $20 more!

Attachments

• Roll Hunting 8-9-06 1.JPG
    Roll Hunting 8-9-06 1.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 422
  • Roll Hunting 8-9-06 2.JPG
    Roll Hunting 8-9-06 2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 412
This is really neat. I'll have to try it this winter. Thanks for posting it.

Hey TK - I was talking to a guy at work who's about 58 or so, who said that in the late 50's in Illinois he would buy rolls of pennies from the bank and find indian head pennies on a regular basis. He says he still has about one hundred he got that way. Good Luck

Doug, yeah, back in the late 50s, the chances finding IHs in bank rolls were probably about the same as wheats today. If I find an Indian Head in a roll, you'd better believe I'll post that one!!

This IS fun! I got into roll hunting pennies while I worked at a bank. Now I still go every so often and buy a box of pennies, $25. My best roll find was a Semi-Key 1926-S Wheatie in F+! It is a real bummer though when you buy a box and get it home only to find out it is fresh from the mint :mad: Haha! Oh well!

Sounds like fun. I'm guessing that pennys are the only coin where you have a chance, the silver would never make it into a roll, or past a teller or store clerk.

Sounds like fun. I'm guessing that pennys are the only coin where you have a chance, the silver would never make it into a roll, or past a teller or store clerk.

That is where you are WRONG! All this talk about roll hunting lately has gotten me in the mood to go out again so this morning my wife and I went Half Dollar Roll Hunting and cleaned up good! We got all of these in just over an hour and most came from three rolls. All in all we searched about $1000 this morning. All of the coins on the left are 1964, the rest are clad silver 1965-69. Our total take this morning........6.93 ounces!

The tellers rarely check rolls that come in and alot of them just dont care about silver-if they are even aware of it. You gotta remember how young alot of them are and even the older ones turn a blind eye to the glint if that beautiful white metal! So go and buy some rolls, there is ALOT more than just wheaties begging to be hoarded!

Attachments

• Roll Hunting 8 12 06.jpg
    Roll Hunting 8 12 06.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 373
I have never heard of or seen this done before, it looks shearly awesome, and a LOT easier than digging about the countryside for it...lol

HH as always,

Bri-

usualy, the best finds are errors. peoople dont know about errors and how much they can be worth!

BTW, boxes strait from the mint are worth money, because some people like to have year collections with a box or roll from the saim mint each year.

I figured I'd give this a try today. I bought $20.00 worth of pennies from the bank.

Here's the take:

18 wheats in all

1919-1
1940-2
1941-1
1944-2
1947-2
1952D-1
1953-2
1956D-4
1957-1
1957D-2

Also got a real sweet 1962. Must have been from someone's proof set.

I WILL be heading back to the bank to do this again.

Back
Top Bottom