New from Ohio #2

zarocks

We're all coming out of the woodwork now :laughing:

My name is Chris, I'm from the Cleveland area. I am primarily a coin collector but I've been wanting to hunt for awhile now. About a month ago I got my first detector, a Garrett Ace 250. Started in the backyard, got a few old pennies but came up empty quite often. I ordered the Garrett Pinpointer and it's helped tremendously as my recovery "rate" is near 100%.

So far my backyard has yielded quite a large number (20 or so) wheats, including a 1909 (no mm) and 1918, a couple clad dimes. The front yard is mostly memorial cents. Some of my friends have allowed me to search their yards, nothing too special found yet but it's great experience.

Got my first silver a couple weeks ago at an old picnic area, a 1935-s Merc, I've heard this area is hunted heavily so I really feel fortunate to find anything at all.

My hope at this point is to continue what I'm doing (hunting yards of friends) and get enough experience to do some larger-scale group hunts and such. I see there is a MD'ing group in my area (Buckeye Searchers) that I am interested in learning more about.

Any words of advice or encouragement is appreciated as always!

Welcome Chris from Abilene Texas. It looks like you are off to a good start. Happy hunting and share your finds with us.

Sonny.

Hunt the Cleveland Metroparks but get a free permit first. They are good for the calendar year.

Cleveland Metropolitan Parks, Administration Office, Division of Activity Permits
4101 Fulton Parkway, Cleveland, Ohio 44144
Phone: (216) 351-6300
Fax: (216) 351-2584

Last edited:
Former Ohioan now in Atlanta

Hey chris, I grew up in euclid and lived in Mentor a lot of years. Try Mentor headlands State Beach. You can hunt anywhere in the sand and it is huge. I found a sterling sliver ring there with a nice stone years ago. Any park along the lake is good. There are still many old schools around as well. Good luck.

Welcome, i use to live in cleveland. im in warren ohio now. where about are you in cleveland?

Welcome from an hour or so south!

More Ohioans than others I've noticed lately too.. Weird :p

Welcome to the forum Chris from SC. Congrats on the Merc, the big thing now to find good spots is research. Maybe finding someplace where there used to be houses and now they are woods or fields. GL and HH.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome!

I'm actually from Parma, so there are a number of good places for me to hunt within an hour's drive or so.

My tiny postage stamp yard is still keeping me busy...2 more wheats yesterday which brings the total up to about 30 or so.

Back
Top Bottom