Presidential Campaign Token

beepingbob

I've found this "presidential campaign token", or at least that's what I have been calling it. Not sure who is pictured on it or the time period. The 50 cent piece is shown for size comparison. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 364
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 367
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 357
Kinda looks like Washington. Dust it with powder and see if you can read the letters.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

It sort of looks like the ones Shell Oil used to give away. They had one for all of the presidents until that time.

Shell game coins were the size of a Susan B Anthony dollar coin and made of aluminum. It is either Hillary or Evel Knievel with a 70's helmet on.

OP- Can't you make-out any of the lettering down the right side of the front? Try a light pencil rubbing on a piece of typing/printer paper.

Also, am I seeing an Eagle over the strongbox on the reverse?

LOL, guy has the profile of Montgomery Burns :laughing:

Yes. We see an "N" above his forehead and definitely an eagle above a "strongbox". Not sure if it is a strongbox. It looks like an "8" in the middle. Could potentially be a latch for said "strongbox"

OP- Can't you make-out any of the lettering down the right side of the front? Try a light pencil rubbing on a piece of typing/printer paper.

Also, am I seeing an Eagle over the strongbox on the reverse?

LOL, guy has the profile of Montgomery Burns :laughing:

Yes. We see an "N" above his forehead and definitely an eagle above a "strongbox". Not sure if it is a strongbox. It looks like an "8" in the middle. Could potentially be a latch for said "strongbox"

Here is a better attempt at the back side of it.

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 236
I went to Wiki, and went through the "List of United States presidential candidates" looking or something (name-wise) that might fit. Out of those that did, most didn't fit the appearance, or dating. Whoever is on the Obverse of what you have seems to be early 1800's at least.

That said, may have nothing to do with Politics, or at least Presidential Politics, maybe State or more local. I looked for a couple hours, searching keywords of the coin/token, had no luck. The closest I came was what I'd posted, and obviously is not it.

Hope you find what/who it is, but I'm having doubts....not because I could't find it, only because I think it's someone really obscure. Hope I'm wrong, lol...I'd like to know who/what it is. Good Luck!

Actually I think you have the right person, just not the right token. The name seems to start just above the head and end at the lower right. The "N" would be the last letter of Martin.

Cliff

I went to Wiki, and went through the "List of United States presidential candidates" looking or something (name-wise) that might fit. Out of those that did, most didn't fit the appearance, or dating. Whoever is on the Obverse of what you have seems to be early 1800's at least.

That said, may have nothing to do with Politics, or at least Presidential Politics, maybe State or more local. I looked for a couple hours, searching keywords of the coin/token, had no luck. The closest I came was what I'd posted, and obviously is not it.

Hope you find what/who it is, but I'm having doubts....not because I could't find it, only because I think it's someone really obscure. Hope I'm wrong, lol...I'd like to know who/what it is. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot for your help. Wasn't expecting someone to spend hours searching! Keep thinking about it. You've helped a lot so far :yes:

Actually I think you have the right person, just not the right token. The name seems to start just above the head and end at the lower right. The "N" would be the last letter of Martin.

Cliff

Thanks. Definitely going to look more into VanBuren.

Back
Top Bottom