“Big Red” Season 2, Epic 1

18kRonin

Forum Supporter

Been keeping a close eye on Big Red, but it had been real quiet for a long long time.
“Big Red Season 1
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=236786

Went and checked it out just on the off chance some sand had moved and hell-yeah!!! game on. :lol:

Found sand had been stripped off the area just next to and over lapping where I’d spent most of my time last year.

Tent pegs, big iron and a heap more black sand everywhere. A lot of iron was just too big to get out, might get some out next time :lol:
Eyeballed the biggest chain I’ve ever seen on any beach :shock: just not the metal I had in mind :D

Scored a good amount of silver and coins, knew gold was close could smell it :lol: was 6 hours in thinking it might need a bit more thinning out, maybe another iron fest hunt or two to get some good stuff when the DF got this nice hit and a Yellow and Plat combo turned up in the scoop, had a good look around and 20mins or so later turned up an 18K Tiffany with small bling.

Not sure what the sand is doing, hope it’s still moving in the right direction. Only one way to find out :lol: stay tuned :yes:

Haul for just over 7 hours on the red in black.

18K Plat comb 2.9g, 18K Tiffany 2.52g, 12 silver and 41 coins.

Thanks for viewing.

HH&GL
:tropical:

After a polish

Hunt 2

The tide wasn’t good but had to go back. Found nothing much had changed from last time. Back to thinning out the iron :lol: Got onto some deeper silver and a few coins before being pushed up the slope a bit where I found a good patch of coins before calling it a day.

When taking picks of the trash had a look at the trashy looking Zippo I found and turned out to be an oldie, not exactly sure on the age.
Think it was made in 1937

Haul for the 4.5 hour hunt
The oldest Zippo for me
4 silver rings
42 coins
And a cold from hell :sick: :D

Thanks for viewing
HH&GL
:tropical:

Last edited:
Great job congrats! . . :dingding:

You kill it where others fear to tread, iron beaches scare lesser hunters off. :cool:

Merciful Mary Poppins! Is there any sand on that beach or is it all iron? Thats like hunting in a junkyard or foundry dumpster! Its amazing you still manage to pull the Gold and Silver out of there!...Do you use a sniper coil the size of a penny? What?

Great job congrats! . . :dingding:

You kill it where others fear to tread, iron beaches scare lesser hunters off. :cool:

Thanks Irons, before “big red” I was a little on the timid side when hitting iron infested beaches with the DF but now it’s almost like normal hunting, almost :lol:
Has taken awhile but now for me it’s a bit like Star Trek, to boldly go... :lol:

Merciful Mary Poppins! Is there any sand on that beach or is it all iron? Thats like hunting in a junkyard or foundry dumpster! Its amazing you still manage to pull the Gold and Silver out of there!...Do you use a sniper coil the size of a penny? What?

Thanks Mud, sniper coil what’s that :lol:

Most beaches here are on reclaimed land so think they would dump anything in there in the reclamation process and with no landfills bet they would have been lining up to get rid of that trashy iron :lol:

No way around iron in concentrated black sand like that. It kills a VLF and for me it’s harder using one in those conditions, null grunt null grunt... real mentally draining and at the end of the hunt the iron is still there with the good stuff a bit deeper underneath.

I like using the Dual Field PI the 12” coil gives amazing depth in those conditions (once the big iron is out of the way, that is :lol:) and the smaller coil helps to pick up the small gold.

Tried the DF in fresh water once, never again :lol: the small iron killed me :lol:

Dude! You dig it all!! Using a pi? Nice Gold!!!

Thanks ISA, yup :lol: if given the choice I’ll go for getting physically trashed with using a PI than mentally done in using a VLF in those conditions :lol:

Big congrads 18k!

Those babies sure stand out!! Nothing like Gold!!

:dingding: Those are 2 beautiful specimens! And that frog ring is hysterical!!

Congrats on a great hunt and two golds! I would consider the trash to keeper ratio to be not too bad. There's more out there thats for sure.

Man I think I would tap out If I encountered that much large rust on my hunts, not sure I could handle it!:shock: Congrats on another awesome round of finds and I know I've said this before, but damn goood job cleaning up your beaches! :cheers:

Those babies sure stand out!! Nothing like Gold!!

Thanks OBN, very well received near the end of the hunt :yes:

Fantastic effort and finds, well done! I hope the spot stays open for you...

Thanks Zee, me too brother :iwish:

WOW !!!! That is one heck of a haul....very nice digs.

Thanks jjm861 :yes:

:dingding: Those are 2 beautiful specimens! And that frog ring is hysterical!!

Thanks Felix, it got a “what the ...” from me :lol: Looked like it was silver but failed the tumbler test.

Awesome rings there Ronin, congrats! Hope your up-to-date on your tetanus shot! :lol:

Thanks for reminding me :lol: last shot was over 30 years ago :shock:

Congrats on a great hunt and two golds! I would consider the trash to keeper ratio to be not too bad. There's more out there thats for sure.

Thanks Numil, a lot of nails and bobby pins you can’t see too well in the pic but yeah had worse :lol:

Man I think I would tap out If I encountered that much large rust on my hunts, not sure I could handle it!:shock: Congrats on another awesome round of finds and I know I've said this before, but damn goood job cleaning up your beaches! :cheers:

Thanks Slim, if you got gold out of that iron and black sand every hunt think you would stick at it ;) Real keen to hit it again :grin:

I love your photos! NICE!! Great finds and I really like that frog ring. Too cute :)

Frog ring! :laughing: That's great! You probably found it in water that was... knee-deep, knee-deep... 🐸

R5

Persistence, knowledge and work - will bring gold!
Congratulations!
chin is the lowest productivity, but often a sweet find ;)

Seriously I bet you could sell some of your photos of junk as art work. I'm serious.:yes:

No kidding! Impressive photography skills!

Really nice work on all this-- those are some epic junk piles, man! Wow!

Glad you got some solid rewards out of it too!

Silver, gold, plat, bling, and a designer label too-- definitely hit all the bases with that hunt! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom