Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Supporter

Default Old Forts in La.

Friend sent me a video about some old forts in Louisianna. I was wondering if anyone around there ever detected the area. It seems as if it is owned by the Parrish and is somewhat abandoned. Been there since the War of 1812 and been in use on and off until WWII.
interesting!

Interesting video of old forts of LA.
https://youtu.be/UnavL2s3wqU

Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Elite Member

I deleted this post. Should have watched the video.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Supporter

It's a video about Fort Jackson???? I just watched it again.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:53 PM

Yes, it's Fort Jackson in Buras LA, I hunted both forts (Fort Jackson and Fort St Felipe) which is directly across the river.

Fort Jackson is owned and managed/maintained by Plaquamine Parish and St Felipe is privately owned. I volunteered to assist in artifact recovery for the museum onsite with a permission letter from the Parish.

Worked it for 2 years on and off until Katrina hit and flooded the place completely.

Made a lot of amazing finds and the museum has them cataloged, some on display some stored. Both sites have a lot of history.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Supporter

It is pretty awesome that you were able to assist in the artifact recovery effort. I would love to see your finds, but never have been to LA. I was wondering why the post above said that he deleted my post. I thought it was quite interesting.
Good hunting!

Originally Posted by normx2 View post
Yes, it's Fort Jackson in Buras LA, I hunted both forts (Fort Jackson and Fort St Felipe) which is directly across the river.

Fort Jackson is owned and managed/maintained by Plaquamine Parish and St Felipe is privately owned. I volunteered to assist in artifact recovery for the museum onsite with a permission letter from the Parish.

Worked it for 2 years on and off until Katrina hit and flooded the place completely.

Made a lot of amazing finds and the museum has them cataloged, some on display some stored. Both sites have a lot of history.