1813 Spainish/Mexican 1/2 REAL surprise in upstate New York

CharlieT84

Elite Member
Had my best hunt ever. Went with two buddies and had 7 hours of fun. It is amazing how fast the time goes when you are having fun and finding great finds. I found $11.42 in change and the below pictured silver coins. My buddies found clad ; next time will be their turn to find silver:p.
According to what I found on the computer the Spanish/Mexican 1/2 real was minted in Guatemala in 1813 under direction of the Spanish crown. Spain directed a number of it's colonial possessions to mint coins. These coins were used in early America but I was very surprised to find this sitting barely under the surface in upstate New York.
Just started detecting in April and have found 5 silvers. My favorite is the seated dime- just love how it looks. ...So much fun...
If you have any more info on the 1/2 real I would be very interested. TY for looking. Happy hunting All.

Attachments

• IMG_0689ct.jpg
    IMG_0689ct.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0687ct.jpg
    IMG_0687ct.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0686ct.jpg
    IMG_0686ct.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0685ct.jpg
    IMG_0685ct.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0684ct.jpg
    IMG_0684ct.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Nice finds for just starting out. I am guessing (If I am wrong please correct me) :p
Congrats

:thumbsup:

I went back again today and hunted the same areas. I found another $5 in change and this ring. Not sure if it is silver. Not sure how to tell. It bends really easy .. maybe it is supposed to be adjustable ???? being that it bends easy would that mean it is not likely silver? I could not see any writing on it.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 222
Congrats. Dont see as many of those later spanish colonial reales. The Spanish empire was in full decline by then

That is one great hunt! Still looking for my first Spanish. Hopefully it's right around the corner.

You are off to an awesome start. I've yet to find a seated , let alone a reale. congrats on your finds.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom