Float thingy for diggin in water

petejc

I saw some videos where the guy was in the water and when he came up with the find in his shovel he dumped it in this floating screen type deal with those blue floaty tubes wire tied around the net. Do they sell them or can I just make one.

I made mine. Just pvc pipe and four elbows for the frame. Cheap pool noodles for the floats. The only hard to find thing was the plastic mesh. I got a roll of it at Lowes in the garden section. There is enough for a lot of strainers. Used tie wraps to attach the mesh and the noodles.

They measure about 18" x 18". Cut the pipe 15.5".
0d6cac2e432e71beff2295bf00f0aa97.jpg

Cliff

Thanks Bayoutalker, that is exactly what I wanted to hear.. How to make one.
Great clear instructions also. Thanks again.

I made mine. Just pvc pipe and four elbows for the frame. Cheap pool noodles for the floats. The only hard to find thing was the plastic mesh. I got a roll of it at Lowes in the garden section. There is enough for a lot of strainers. Used tie wraps to attach the mesh and the noodles.

They measure about 18" x 18". Cut the pipe 15.5".
0d6cac2e432e71beff2295bf00f0aa97.jpg

Cliff

Those came out AWESOME Cliff !!

Attach the mesh to the frame first with tie straps and then add the noodles. You don't have to cut the corners to fit but I'm a bit OCD. LOL

Cliff

Excellent and big thanks for posting. I've had a interest in making one of those for a while now. Love the mitered corners and will do the same when I make mine. Good info about the miter gauge.

Is it safe to assume you used 1/2" white PCV pipe. Any chance you could post a picture of the miter gauge your wife uses for sewing?

Yes, I used 1/2" light guage pvc, not the high pressure stuff. It's cheap, easy to work with and light weight. The pipe was 10' for $3 and the elbows were $.35 each. The noodles came from Walmart for $1 each. The only expensive part was the fabric but a roll will make a lot of these or it can be used for something else around the house.

The miter guage is just a flat plexiglass plate with a 45° angle on one end. It's about 4" wide and 12" or so long. Any thing with a 45° will work fine. Just lay the noodle on a flat surface with the guage against it and use a long, sharp knife to follow the angle. It doesn't have to be exact if you cut it just a bit long. The material will compress and fill any gap.

I'll try to post a picture later when my wife gets home. I don't know where it is.

Cliff

I've always used a bigger boogie board, it'll hold rocks and debris.. I can swim with it too..

Those sifters are cool, my materials don't sift at all.. just chunks of clay and rocks..

<°)))>{

I've always used a bigger boogie board, it'll hold rocks and debris.. I can swim with it too..

Those sifters are cool, my materials don't sift at all.. just chunks of clay and rocks..

<°)))>{
Nope, they wouldn't be much good for that but they work great in sand. Different tools for different jobs.

Cliff

Ive also seen one where they used a piece of floating foam with a border put on the edges. Like the hard insulation foam. The dutch magnet fishing guys did that

I bought a roll of mesh.

The pipe size between 45's I believe were 9" long. Honestly, I wish I when 10" to 11" instead.

The roll was 48" high so I doubled up the mesh since it is 24" across.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom