• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Found this pistol and pocket knife

Chipk

Elite Member
Found this pistol and pocket knife today. Was thinking about using electrolysis to clean it a bit but was told if it’s loaded with live rounds they might go off.

It was suggested muratic acid but I’ve never used it. Is that a good idea and how should I use it?

Attachments

• 6B0A6B08-F716-4B8D-8D12-BB49E2E7E936.jpg
    6B0A6B08-F716-4B8D-8D12-BB49E2E7E936.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 707
Nice finds.. You might try taking a hammer and screw driver and see if you can expose the cylinder and see if anything is in there...
very cool find.. looks like it has been there awhile

either way be careful of course.

Dude that’s awesome. Nice finds. I can’t imagine rounds in that, going off anymore, but I’m no expert. That’s way cool, where’d you find it? I wouldn’t take it to the cops myself. Dunno.

Burn it off with a torch. lol jk. Reverse osmosis may work, I dont know.

Hmmmm......Looks like Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown lost his entire "arsenal". :laughing:

(Gawd, I kill myself!)

Roger

First off, IMO, I wouldn't have thought the cartridge would have discharged by electrolysis. This looks as if it's been submerged, if so, very few civilian ammunition is actually waterproof, water would typically seep in around both the primer and bullet.

That being said, anything is possible.

if you have a safe spot outside, maybe you could build a 2x4 frame to hold it vertically, place it in a bucket outside, muzzle down, with some liquid rust remover.

Now I've never used the liquid rust remover wouldn't think that would be an issue, and of course the gun is junk, so whatever you choose isn't going to hurt the gun itself.

I doubt the coppers would want the gun..never be able to do a ballistics test or probably get a serial number..with that much corrosion I expect any live rounds are now dead.. electrolysis will work but there might not be much left after..it's a nice relic though..you could just dry it out and seal it..

Found a gun on Mon. Made between 1902 and 1918. Just scrubbed with dish detergent and some small screwdriver work. Also some fine wire brush. Was afraid to put it in anything to acidic. Here’s how it turned out.

Ron

Attachments

• A00643EE-C269-4FEC-9E6C-59B792C45F0C.jpg
    A00643EE-C269-4FEC-9E6C-59B792C45F0C.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 530
1st you need to consider ALL rounds that may be in there to be live, period!! If one decides to go off it will take the path of least resistance and from the looks of that thing it could be any and all directions. Rust, dirt or stones could be positioned behind the primer and a sharp strike with a hammer anyplace on the weapon could force ignition/BOOM

Use a sonic cleaner and see what happens.

I would guess any rounds would be dead by now, but that's just theory. I would not ASSUME that! So, like Big Treble suggested, I say do the electrolysis in a safe place where a small explosion won't hurt anyone or anything. Maybe set it up in a bucket in a hole in the ground. Plug it in from a distance. After you can see it's working, cover it with a big board. I wouldn't tap on it anywhere, unless you can see it's not loaded.
This advice is for the gun; the knife will not explode. :D

Back
Top Bottom