Local park still holds stuff

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Been working a few places here and there, but not as much as I'd like. Busy with too many other things lately. I managed a War nickel the other day. A couple Rosies a few days before that. Today, I spent a couple hours in my local park. Besides the bit of clad and several pennies, I got a 1928 Buffalo nickel, a '36 Merc, and a cruddy copper ring with a major blingstone! When I pulled it out of the hole, the ring was inside a clump of dirt in my fingers, with the stone showing brilliantly on top. I only missed one heartbeat before I could tell the ring was not silver, gold, or platinum. It was painted black. Oh well...happy to find another ring, and a fourth silver dime from this park,(silver #39 FTY) and a first Buffalo nickel from this park.

Attachments

• DSCN8167.jpg
    DSCN8167.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCN8169.jpg
    DSCN8169.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 395
  • DSCN8180.jpg
    DSCN8180.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCN8170.jpg
    DSCN8170.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 336
  • DSCN8179.jpg
    DSCN8179.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 344
Congrats on a great hunt! :clapping: It's nice that the date on the Buff is partially visible - 1925 or '28, perhaps?

Congrats on the neat finds!
Thanks Twiz!
Congrats on a great hunt! :clapping: It's nice that the date on the Buff is partially visible - 1925 or '28, perhaps?
Yep. It has a date from '28. It's nice to see that on these old nickels. Thanks.
Nice to see a public park still producing, Congrats on some nice oldies!
This park never produces a lot, but it throws me a good one every so often. Thanks.
Thats a pretty nice crisp dirt Merc there Foragist! It didnt see a lot of pocket time!
It is kind of a good one. The crisper, the better, but I still like the old smoothies too. Thanks Mud
It's still fun to have that heart skip a beat when you see that stone in the dirt.
Congrats on the finds.
Kind of glad I'm pessimistic about my finds, or it would have been a big let-down. When I saw the stone, I wasn't thinking OMG! I was thinking more like "Gee, wouldn't that be nice"
Great hunting, congrats!
Thanks cellr-d.
Looks like a very fun hunt, congrats on the nice finds.
Popping these kinds of things out of the dirt certainly makes it more fun!

Nice job wringing a few more finds out of the local park! I like finding rings regardless of whether they're just bling rings or not, too - especially if they have some age to them, and your find definitely looks older.

I've had some pretty good luck with parks this year, considering how pounded they've been for the last half century or so. It takes quite a bit of patience and perseverance, but there's definitely still some good stuff out there! I like going to parks when my time is too limited to mess around knocking on doors, or sometimes just for a little change in pace. Frankly, I often think of park hunting as advertising also - I'm more likely to get approached by people curious about detecting while I'm in a park. I know some detectorists considering that annoying, but I look at it as a chance to score a new private property permission :yes:

Some very nice digging Blaise. With that many targets I think you still have some more digging left at that site. Congrats! Trapper
Thanks Trapper. I think you're right. Now that most of the easy pickin's are gone, I'll be digging more of the "trash" signals, and see what turns up.

Nice job wringing a few more finds out of the local park! I like finding rings regardless of whether they're just bling rings or not, too - especially if they have some age to them, and your find definitely looks older.

I've had some pretty good luck with parks this year, considering how pounded they've been for the last half century or so. It takes quite a bit of patience and perseverance, but there's definitely still some good stuff out there! I like going to parks when my time is too limited to mess around knocking on doors, or sometimes just for a little change in pace. Frankly, I often think of park hunting as advertising also - I'm more likely to get approached by people curious about detecting while I'm in a park. I know some detectorists considering that annoying, but I look at it as a chance to score a new private property permission :yes:
It is like advertising. This small park on Main street is pretty open. I'm getting known as the guy with the detector, or the guy walking the cool little dog. Recently, a troop of maybe second graders and their teacher came to the park on their field trip walk. They saw me, and started asking the teacher questions. She gave them permission to ask me about it, and I ended up giving a short class on metal detecting. I especially liked the "Whoa!" reaction when I tapped the plug back into the ground with the side of my digger, and it blended in perfectly. I usually don't want to be bothered, but sometimes it's a joy.

Back
Top Bottom