Button gurus, ID help needed.

61Cadillac

Elite Member
Ok guys, I found this button today at a location I have been digging coins dated from 1847 to the mid 1920's. I was hoping it would date to at least WWI but after looking online and only finding a couple of examples I'm not sure if it goes as far back as the Civil War (as one example claimed), or to the 1950's (as the other example claimed). At any rate here is is and thank you for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_4020 (3).jpg
    IMG_4020 (3).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_4021 (2).jpg
    IMG_4021 (2).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 326
Nice Marines button. Very nice, in fact.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 323
Thanks for the Marine lead! Put in Marine Button as opposed to Navy Button and have a lot more examples to go one now.

Near as I can tell from this Scovill Bench Mark chart it looks to date from 1902 to present. That is if I am reading the chart right. I can only assume they used the same bench marks for all buttons as they did for the General Service buttons. With that said, since I was hoping for it to date to WWI I think I will just stick with that. ;) At any rate I am more than happy to add it to my growing collection of buttons.

Attachments

• button scovill-marks-waterbury.jpg
    button scovill-marks-waterbury.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 290
Near as I can tell from this Scovill Bench Mark chart it looks to date from 1902 to present. That is if I am reading the chart right. I can only assume they used the same bench marks for all buttons as they did for the General Service buttons. With that said, since I was hoping for it to date to WWI I think I will just stick with that. ;) At any rate I am more than happy to add it to my growing collection of buttons.

I didn't feel good about my date on that. Where did you get that chart. I need a copy of it. Tice had a picture of one he called 1860 and same for Albert's book. But they are not good on the later dates. Definitely agree with your date.

Back
Top Bottom