• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1850s US Navy Button on Civil War Campsite in SW MO?

3rdKyMtdInf

I live in southwest Missouri and my property covers a large part of a campsite that was used by Confederate (1861) and Federal (1862 - 1864) troops during the war between the states. I have found countless artifacts (many I have yet to identify) and have collected over 70 bullets and a couple of dozen buttons from both armies ... but today's find has me stumped. Along with the usual variety of bullets I found a Federal Navy button from the 1840s. There were certainly no naval operations in this part of the south during the war. Any thoughts on what a Navy officer would have been doing at a Union camp in Barry County navy button.jpg, MO?

Last edited:
Nice button! Here in Mo I think troops on both sides were very under equipped — so they used anything and anyone they could get there hands on

Thanks. This site was known as "Camp Defiance" and was cleared by the 37th Illinois in April of '62 to tend and guard their wounded from the Battle of Elkhorn Tavern, near Pea Ridge, Arkansas. There was infantry, artillery, and cavalry and, judging by the artifacts that I have gathered and the letters that I have read, they were well equipped.

It had served Price and McCullough earlier when they met here on their way to the Battle of Oak Hills at Wilson's Creek and, when the 37th pulled out in July of 62, Confederate soldiers returned until the federals ran them out again and set up a winter camp later that year, from which they (and other federal units) would chase Missouri partisans and soldiers throughout the war.

I agree with a friend who emailed me with the suggestion, based upon similar findings he has made in other Missouri camps, that at the onset of the hostilities many of the soldiers wore pieces of uniforms and accoutrements that were either used by them or passed on to them by other family members who had fought in earlier wars. This would explain, at least to my satisfaction, the 1840s naval button found at the site. I'm sorry for not updating my post.

Very nice! Would love to have a property with the history that you must have on yours.....

Back
Top Bottom