Hunt with many members of this forum...

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
So yesterday a group of us got together for a hunt. We went in my town Glassboro for most of the day. We hunted some old homesites that historic aerials showed them standing in 1931. We also hit an old farmhouse that easily dates to the 1800's. In the group were myself, Fred Sanford, Randy, DGlantz, Adamant, FSDigital and David in DC. Below are some pics of my finds but check out the video for everyone else's. Apologies to AJ (FSDigital) and David (David in DC) as the video was made after they left. Wel AJ is in it but didnt know it. LOL. Fred says I am becoming a relic hunter. I have to disagree, as it is not what I am looking for...:lol:

In the pics below FredSanford made a great ID. The one onknown object is an old purse clasp. The also is an old buckle, looks complete, some harmonica reeds, an old spoon and clad and a shotgun shell. Any idea Turtlefoot?

It was a great day even though the old coins were few except for DGlantz's seven wheaties and RAndy had a few wheats too. He also had a couple rosie's from an earlier in the day hunt. I think David in Dc got a wheat too. I had a great time meeting all of you and really look foward to doing it again. Maybe we can hit some of the same sites one more time...

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTP2vXt9IP0

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 526
Good vid, Sean. Since I didn't find a nice SLQ or walker, I'd have to say the best find for me was new friends. And even if I did, you guys would be a pretty close second :lol:. It was great meeting everyone and I hope we can do it again.

Nice find and ID on the spoon, Tim. That is pretty cool.

ThanksAgain

Nice video. Thanks again for having us in your hometown. It was great hunting with you all . We need to do this again. The purse bar is a very cool find. We need to go back and find the rest of the purse. There is probably 40 walking liberty's in it.:grin:

Great meeting everyone. As I was saying to Sean, that old house where Tim found the spoon. Once a lot of the trash is cleared out (lots of cans etc.) The good stuff will come up.

Hope to see ya'll again soon

A.J.

Nice video. Thanks again for having us in your hometown. It was great hunting with you all . We need to do this again. The purse bar is a very cool find. We need to go back and find the rest of the purse. There is probably 40 walking liberty's in it.:grin:

Tim, its funny you say that. I was thinking the same thing about the purse after I got home. I sure hope we can all get out again. David, how often do you come back to NJ?

It was a great time and I'd love to get together with the whole gang and do it again. Plus Fred Sanford needs to find the rest of that silver spoon and Jersey Digger needs to find the rest of that purse, it could be filled with silver coins. Nicely done video Sean.

Hey Jersey - It's a Federal Monark 12ga. :lol:

No, seriously, this line of shells holds a special spot for me. It was the very first headstamp that I found.

According to the historian from Federal, it was made from 1918-1950's. I was told that the different primers can narrow it down, but they didn't tell me how to identify specific primers.

The only way that I know how to narrow the date range down is by association. If you found any coins near it, they might be from the same time period.

Great find!
Doug

Thanks Doug...I did not find any coins right near it. It was in a weird spot. We were in huge field and right in the middle were trees. That area was maybe 60-70 yards long and about 15 feet wide with a rectangular cement foundation in the middle with trees growing out of it. It was a good 8 inches deep...Thanks for the ID. And I am saving these up and eventually mailing them to you...LOL

Back
Top Bottom