"Hammered" Matron

DoctorWhy

Still no frost in the ground here on coastal Maine, so back out in the woods on another 'hunt'. Returned to a site that has recently yielded a couple 1830's pennies, pewter spoons, a pewter William Henry Harrison election token, and a knee buckle.

Found this worn out coin about 6" down, on the side of a dirt road that runs within 10 feet of a cellar hole. The coin has multiple numbers crudely hand hammer and punch-stamped on both the obverse and reverse. There is very little original features to positively identify the coin. It is 28.8 mm in diameter, 2mm thick, and weighs 9.68 grams. These numbers and the date of other coins found at the site suggested it might be a "Matron's Head" cent.

Upon very close examination using an oblique light yielded the faint shadow of what is most likely the Matron's crown .

It is always fun to find an old coin and be able to identify and date it. I enjoy doing the 'detective work' to positively identify an object nearly as much as I enjoy the discovery during metal detecting. While this coin has little numismatic value, it certainly has a unique background story that will probably remain a mystery.

Happy Hunting!
--Bert

Attachments

• UnknownCoinObverseReverse_sm.jpg
    UnknownCoinObverseReverse_sm.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 253
  • ExampleMatron_vs_FoundCoin_sm.jpg
    ExampleMatron_vs_FoundCoin_sm.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
As much as I hate seeing LC's posted, (west coast envy), I have to say: This one has more intrigue and history, than any regular one would ever have. Great conversation piece !

That looks like some pretty old number font as well. I would rule out any kind of tag, seeing as there is no hole in it. Congrats, awesome find!

Back
Top Bottom