The Minelab Equinox Series – “An Advanced Guide” - a book review

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
The Minelab Equinox Series – “An Advanced Guide”

Clive clearly states that he is also a student of the Equinox series. But keep this in mind, he is very experiences with a lot of sophisticated metal detectors and using them in the field. So he will naturally be able to learn at a faster rate and deeper level than your average metal detectorists.

First thing I noticed that this book is basically the second part to The Minelab Equinox Series – “From Beginner to Advanced”. I would call his first book in his Equinox Series Part One and the second book Part Two.

This is because there is not a lot of information in this book that is duplicated in his first book in his Equinox Series. Rather, he often cites some topics in his first book that you should know. To get the full benefit from this second book, you should have read and have his first book nearby.

I have found that both of his books have added to my hunt site cheat sheets. I take a lot of the new information about the 800 capabilities and features and apply them to the type of sites I hunt. I write them down on cheat sheet with settings and hints for my different type of sites I hunt. This helps me to know how to create the right settings for specific hunting sites. It reinforces my memory. Since March 2018 when I acquired my 800 I have become proficient on changing any settings on my 800 in the field. The buttons and mode settings are easy to learn and navigate on the 600 and 800.

Based on my Experience of owning an AT Pro for 3 years and then buying the 800 in March 2018 and using it 2-4 hours per week I suggest that you have two distinct choices on buying either or both of these books.

If you are a casual hunter for fun and relaxation, you will do OK using the Equinox in one or more of the standard modes that suit your type of hunting and will not likely need either of these books.

If you are the casual hunter but want to learn more about metal detecting with your Equinox then both books are for you.

If you are an intermediate to advanced hunter and want to get the most out of your Equinox then both books are for you.

Both books in his Equinox series are in 90 – 100 page range and small standard format of 8 ½ x 5 ½ inches. Don’t be fooled by the small number of pages. A lot of very specific Equinox information is packed in these two booklets that as of this review, are not found elsewhere in book form.

There is a lot of this information that is available on the metal detecting forums but with the forums it is often difficult to piece together all the many separate posts and replies into a study guide. Whereas with these two booklets you can get in your comfortable chair, put on your favorite music and study and learn what Clive has to share with you.

I will not review any specifics in his new book, or find fault in a spelling error or two. Clive is doesn’t get down to the technical level of explaining why something works, but rather explains what certain features do work to your advantage if you take the time to learn how to use them.
Being somewhere between a general hobbyists and intermediate detectorist using the 800 I am trending towards trying to become a little more of an advanced detectorist.

Due to the tight TID range of the Equinox that tends to stack different targets in a small range, you really need to be up on what I call “filter” tests. These are tests with different settings, coil sweep methods, meter readings, and audio responses to further ID a target as junk or dig. Clive digs in and spends a fair amount of time showing you how to learn to recognize the many common forms of junk we encounter so we can ignore them and dig the targets that are likely to be the targets we are searching. Of course he does explain no filtering tests are 100% fool proof, but what he explains should cut down on some targets that the filtering test indicate are recognizable as junk targets.

Quite honestly, getting my head around all of these various filtering tests, many of which Clive explains, is somewhat of a task for me. Part of me says I want to become better and really learn my 800 and the other part of me say, to heck with that I just want to go out and have fun. Well going out and just having fun are what the 8 pre-selected hunting modes are for. That is part of the beauty of the 800. Use it right out of the box or engage in a thoughtful journey to learn how to really master the 800. Reading and studying Clive’s books on the Equinox detectors will speed you on this journey.

One of my suspicions is that there may be a lot of people giving up on the Equinox. It is a very, very capable detector, one of the best ever made at its selling price. But the other price you pay is a very high learning curve that some will just not invest in. In the hands of an experienced detectorist who has taken the time to learn and understand how to use the Equinox’s powers, they will probably match up very well against a similar experienced detectorist using other brands of detectors in this price range and the next higher price range. Newbies tackling Clive’s two Equinox books are more likely to continue in the hobby than those who do not study his books.

Both books are priced fairly for the amount Equinox specific information they provide. In my experience a lot of metal detecting books have included a lot of filler fluff to increase the page count so as to inflate the book price. There is no fluff in either of these two books. Every Equinox owner will gain some useful information from either one. Me when I buy a reference book for something I am interested in, I read it and keep it for future reference and often end up re-reading them.

I personally don’t know Clive and I paid full price for both books. I own and run two very technical book review web sites where others write reviews for me. On a rare occasion I write a review on a book that I understand and like.

This is such a review. I am glad there are people like Clive who bring this needed information to the owners of the 600 and 800. I am also happy that we have so many very smart individuals who really know about metal detectors and answer our questions on our forums. One person in mind is Vferrari.

I hope you 600 and 800 owners and potential owners enjoy Clive’s latest book as much as I am enjoying it.

Thanks for the feedback, John.

Thanks kindly for your professional and even-handed review, John.
Both books came out pretty well partly because I'm my own worst critic. Some positive feedback really helps--keeps me at it. Just for clarification these two titles are in the 115 page range.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Good Luck Detecting,
clive
The Minelab Equinox Series – “An Advanced Guide”

Clive clearly states that he is also a student of the Equinox series. But keep this in mind, he is very experiences with a lot of sophisticated metal detectors and using them in the field. So he will naturally be able to learn at a faster rate and deeper level than your average metal detectorists.

First thing I noticed that this book is basically the second part to The Minelab Equinox Series – “From Beginner to Advanced”. I would call his first book in his Equinox Series Part One and the second book Part Two.

This is because there is not a lot of information in this book that is duplicated in his first book in his Equinox Series. Rather, he often cites some topics in his first book that you should know. To get the full benefit from this second book, you should have read and have his first book nearby.

I have found that both of his books have added to my hunt site cheat sheets. I take a lot of the new information about the 800 capabilities and features and apply them to the type of sites I hunt. I write them down on cheat sheet with settings and hints for my different type of sites I hunt. This helps me to know how to create the right settings for specific hunting sites. It reinforces my memory. Since March 2018 when I acquired my 800 I have become proficient on changing any settings on my 800 in the field. The buttons and mode settings are easy to learn and navigate on the 600 and 800.

Based on my Experience of owning an AT Pro for 3 years and then buying the 800 in March 2018 and using it 2-4 hours per week I suggest that you have two distinct choices on buying either or both of these books.

If you are a casual hunter for fun and relaxation, you will do OK using the Equinox in one or more of the standard modes that suit your type of hunting and will not likely need either of these books.

If you are the casual hunter but want to learn more about metal detecting with your Equinox then both books are for you.

If you are an intermediate to advanced hunter and want to get the most out of your Equinox then both books are for you.

Both books in his Equinox series are in 90 – 100 page range and small standard format of 8 ½ x 5 ½ inches. Don’t be fooled by the small number of pages. A lot of very specific Equinox information is packed in these two booklets that as of this review, are not found elsewhere in book form.

There is a lot of this information that is available on the metal detecting forums but with the forums it is often difficult to piece together all the many separate posts and replies into a study guide. Whereas with these two booklets you can get in your comfortable chair, put on your favorite music and study and learn what Clive has to share with you.

I will not review any specifics in his new book, or find fault in a spelling error or two. Clive is doesn’t get down to the technical level of explaining why something works, but rather explains what certain features do work to your advantage if you take the time to learn how to use them.
Being somewhere between a general hobbyists and intermediate detectorist using the 800 I am trending towards trying to become a little more of an advanced detectorist.

Due to the tight TID range of the Equinox that tends to stack different targets in a small range, you really need to be up on what I call “filter” tests. These are tests with different settings, coil sweep methods, meter readings, and audio responses to further ID a target as junk or dig. Clive digs in and spends a fair amount of time showing you how to learn to recognize the many common forms of junk we encounter so we can ignore them and dig the targets that are likely to be the targets we are searching. Of course he does explain no filtering tests are 100% fool proof, but what he explains should cut down on some targets that the filtering test indicate are recognizable as junk targets.

Quite honestly, getting my head around all of these various filtering tests, many of which Clive explains, is somewhat of a task for me. Part of me says I want to become better and really learn my 800 and the other part of me say, to heck with that I just want to go out and have fun. Well going out and just having fun are what the 8 pre-selected hunting modes are for. That is part of the beauty of the 800. Use it right out of the box or engage in a thoughtful journey to learn how to really master the 800. Reading and studying Clive’s books on the Equinox detectors will speed you on this journey.

One of my suspicions is that there may be a lot of people giving up on the Equinox. It is a very, very capable detector, one of the best ever made at its selling price. But the other price you pay is a very high learning curve that some will just not invest in. In the hands of an experienced detectorist who has taken the time to learn and understand how to use the Equinox’s powers, they will probably match up very well against a similar experienced detectorist using other brands of detectors in this price range and the next higher price range. Newbies tackling Clive’s two Equinox books are more likely to continue in the hobby than those who do not study his books.

Both books are priced fairly for the amount Equinox specific information they provide. In my experience a lot of metal detecting books have included a lot of filler fluff to increase the page count so as to inflate the book price. There is no fluff in either of these two books. Every Equinox owner will gain some useful information from either one. Me when I buy a reference book for something I am interested in, I read it and keep it for future reference and often end up re-reading them.

I personally don’t know Clive and I paid full price for both books. I own and run two very technical book review web sites where others write reviews for me. On a rare occasion I write a review on a book that I understand and like.

This is such a review. I am glad there are people like Clive who bring this needed information to the owners of the 600 and 800. I am also happy that we have so many very smart individuals who really know about metal detectors and answer our questions on our forums. One person in mind is Vferrari.

I hope you 600 and 800 owners and potential owners enjoy Clive’s latest book as much as I am enjoying it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom