Multi freq At pro?

STpete i know the nox is clearly better in the wet sand but on the pro if your hearing bell tones your not in pro audio,next time you take the at pro to the beach try pro audio it will smooth out falsing to a gentle murmur thats much easier to deal with,also i think it's fun to see what other hunters like and don't like for instance i don't think ive ever used a pinpoint button to pinpoint and lately iv'e mostly been using my apex at night always without the backlight

Just curious how do you use the equinox unlike any other beep and dig machine?
I mean, it's not like it's a , v3i with alot of settings. I think the equinox is just as easy to setup as the anything else, pretty straight forward. No secret code or settings really. I like the equinox, but I also like alot of others too.

Typical beep and dig detectorists to minimize bad finds will look for solid repeatable signals in both sweep directions of the coil. Then will rotate and look for solid repeatable signals in at least a few other directions, before digging. For your typical single freq machine (beep and dig) if they see jumpy numbers and non repeatable tones they walk away.

When i first used the NOX i used it that way too, and i came sooooooooo close to selling it because I did not see any reason to keep it, I might as well just use my F75 or At Max or Impact ETC.....

Now it is not a v3i like Wood said but never the less it is highly customizable, I would say it has a little over half as many tweaks as my V3i does, which is still a substantial amount of tweaks that can be made to the unit. I have set up custom tones on my Nox 800 to mimic my FBS machines.

Now the day i learned to use the Nox, I was at an early 1900's park that had a school house there at one time that was torn down. Loads of iron everywhere if you have iron audio turned on to hear it. This park is about a quarter of an acre very small. I went there with a friend who took another friend of ours the week before. He had a Nox 600 and found roughly around 20 old coins while my friend that took him used a beep and dig detector and maybe found one coin, not sure on that trip if it was one or none. I was invited the next trip and i hunted the place with ctx 17 inch coil and stock coil, Etrac with ultimate and stock coils, Impact stock coil, F75 stock coil. I also broke out my Nox 800 and found nothing. I was using it as a beep and dig typical machine. I had hunted about 3 hours and found nothing and neither had my friend. We knew others had hunted this place recently as well, because they did not cover up their holes very well. Frustrated while we were taking a break I asked my friend that brought me, just what did and how did our friend manage to find that many old coins last trip. He said our friend was digging iffy sketchy signals it looked like to him. I grabbed my Nox 800 and walked to where I had been hunting previously and where our other friend using the Nox 600 found most of his coins. In less than a minute I got a target that gave a sweet high tone mostly one way and the numbers were all over the place, but i was seeing glimpses of high 20's on the ID at times. As I checked the target in a several different directions as described above I kept hearing glimpses of the high tone with really jumpy numbers. Then I decided to use the horseshoe and i could hear the iron loud and clear, but still could also hear the glimpses of high tones and jumpy numbers.

I almost walked away to find my next target but remembered what my friend told me about what types of signals our other friend was digging to find all those old coins. I then decided what the heck I had not found anything all day so what would it hurt to try it. I buried my shovel (seven inches deep) and cut my plug and turned it over, then ran the nox over the plug and nothing. Then I checked the hole and was still getting the iffy high tone and jumpy numbers, but still seeing glimpses of high 20's every so often. So I stuck my garrett carrot in the hole and nothing. I dug another 3 inches and put that on the side of the hole and ran my pointer over it and sure enough it was in there. Turned out to be a barber dime at about 10 inches deep. I also found some iron nails in the hole.

Now my excitement was high. I used that technique to pull over 20 old coins in the next 2 hours. Did I get fooled by iron? I did a few times before I narrowed down the the technique and towards the end I dug no more iron at all. The friend I was with tried several machines that day and he pulled one merc dime with the Impact, and that was all he found. We went back a couple weeks later and I found over 20 more old coins using my new found technique while he found none this trip. My deepest was a barber quarter at 14 inches. If you get a tone you like on the Nox, if only iffy, stop and investigate thoroughly. If there is usually a one way and you see glimpses of numbers that match the tone somewhat as the number jump all over the place, dig. With practice you can master this technique where you will have a high percentage rate of good target recovery.

These targets are what I am digging in public places that others walk away from and with good reason using a single freq beep and dig detector. If I tried to use one of my beep and dig detectors this way (and I have) my junk recovery rate is super high. I run my iron bias at zero, and the guy that ran the 600 that one day uses 0 or 1. It takes practice and time but you can recover good targets with a high percentage rate.

I am not a video guy but I did make a short clip trying to show an iffy target i recovered at a spot I have pounded with every thing I have ever owned, and that is almost everything made. I take every machine there to see if i can find something missed with the others. Nox is only machine that is still pulling from this spot, even to this day. I still own and run V3i, Ctx, Etrac, F75, Deus , T2 special edition, Impact, Safari and cz3d and my trusty Nox 800. https://youtu.be/v2lImonx8nY

Typical beep and dig detectorists to minimize bad finds will look for solid repeatable signals in both sweep directions of the coil. Then will rotate and look for solid repeatable signals in at least a few other directions, before digging. For your typical single freq machine (beep and dig) if they see jumpy numbers and non repeatable tones they walk away.

When i first used the NOX i used it that way too, and i came sooooooooo close to selling it because I did not see any reason to keep it, I might as well just use my F75 or At Max or Impact ETC.....

Now it is not a v3i like Wood said but never the less it is highly customizable, I would say it has a little over half as many tweaks as my V3i does, which is still a substantial amount of tweaks that can be made to the unit. I have set up custom tones on my Nox 800 to mimic my FBS machines.

Now the day i learned to use the Nox, I was at an early 1900's park that had a school house there at one time that was torn down. Loads of iron everywhere if you have iron audio turned on to hear it. This park is about a quarter of an acre very small. I went there with a friend who took another friend of ours the week before. He had a Nox 600 and found roughly around 20 old coins while my friend that took him used a beep and dig detector and maybe found one coin, not sure on that trip if it was one or none. I was invited the next trip and i hunted the place with ctx 17 inch coil and stock coil, Etrac with ultimate and stock coils, Impact stock coil, F75 stock coil. I also broke out my Nox 800 and found nothing. I was using it as a beep and dig typical machine. I had hunted about 3 hours and found nothing and neither had my friend. We knew others had hunted this place recently as well, because they did not cover up their holes very well. Frustrated while we were taking a break I asked my friend that brought me, just what did and how did our friend manage to find that many old coins last trip. He said our friend was digging iffy sketchy signals it looked like to him. I grabbed my Nox 800 and walked to where I had been hunting previously and where our other friend using the Nox 600 found most of his coins. In less than a minute I got a target that gave a sweet high tone mostly one way and the numbers were all over the place, but i was seeing glimpses of high 20's on the ID at times. As I checked the target in a several different directions as described above I kept hearing glimpses of the high tone with really jumpy numbers. Then I decided to use the horseshoe and i could hear the iron loud and clear, but still could also hear the glimpses of high tones and jumpy numbers.

I almost walked away to find my next target but remembered what my friend told me about what types of signals our other friend was digging to find all those old coins. I then decided what the heck I had not found anything all day so what would it hurt to try it. I buried my shovel (seven inches deep) and cut my plug and turned it over, then ran the nox over the plug and nothing. Then I checked the hole and was still getting the iffy high tone and jumpy numbers, but still seeing glimpses of high 20's every so often. So I stuck my garrett carrot in the hole and nothing. I dug another 3 inches and put that on the side of the hole and ran my pointer over it and sure enough it was in there. Turned out to be a barber dime at about 10 inches deep. I also found some iron nails in the hole.

Now my excitement was high. I used that technique to pull over 20 old coins in the next 2 hours. Did I get fooled by iron? I did a few times before I narrowed down the the technique and towards the end I dug no more iron at all. The friend I was with tried several machines that day and he pulled one merc dime with the Impact, and that was all he found. We went back a couple weeks later and I found over 20 more old coins using my new found technique while he found none this trip. My deepest was a barber quarter at 14 inches. If you get a tone you like on the Nox, if only iffy, stop and investigate thoroughly. If there is usually a one way and you see glimpses of numbers that match the tone somewhat as the number jump all over the place, dig. With practice you can master this technique where you will have a high percentage rate of good target recovery.

These targets are what I am digging in public places that others walk away from and with good reason using a single freq beep and dig detector. If I tried to use one of my beep and dig detectors this way (and I have) my junk recovery rate is super high. I run my iron bias at zero, and the guy that ran the 600 that one day uses 0 or 1. It takes practice and time but you can recover good targets with a high percentage rate.

I am not a video guy but I did make a short clip trying to show an iffy target i recovered at a spot I have pounded with every thing I have ever owned, and that is almost everything made. I take every machine there to see if i can find something missed with the others. Nox is only machine that is still pulling from this spot, even to this day. I still own and run V3i, Ctx, Etrac, F75, Deus , T2 special edition, Impact, Safari and cz3d and my trusty Nox 800. https://youtu.be/v2lImonx8nY

Thanks trashfinder for that detailed explanation. I know exactly what signals your talking about,I don't dig them often but I actually dug a few wheats today with the 600. So choppy and sloppy I couldn't even pinpont,had to walk the coil back till it dropped off, actually had to do that in a few directions on the same target cause I kept losing it ..I know the nox is a good machine in modern trash, the audio is very good. I've dug so many zinc's tho that hit 25,26 that it gets frustrating, especially when I'm trying to concentrate on old coins and not dig so many holes in the park.. But I definitely know what you mean about that blip and flash of a higher 20s number. Glad you wrote that in detail so everyone can read it,I totally agree.. Thanks

Exactly! The only thing I can add is this. There are really two types of unmasking in my opinion. The Equinox can and does completely unmask some coins that other detectors can see, but don't give any good info on. So many times I have ask a buddy to swing over a target I knew was silver. He does and says nothing I would dig, and I'm like that's a silver dime all day long solid numbers. I dig it and it's silver. It's happened so many times it's real and not a fluke.

The next kind is more like Trashfinder was explaining is the Equinox partially unmask targets that other detectors can't even see at all. In this case when my buddy swings over the target he says I got nothing at all. Again this happens enough to be a big deal. Like Trashfinder says these are not easy signals some border on acting so much like falsing iron it takes practice to know which ones to dig and which ones to walk away from, but once you learn what to look for you can almost avoid digging any iron. One key in telling is to circle the target a full 360 degrees watching what your numbers do.

The Equinox is the hottest running and deepest machine I have ever used. Like Trashfinder I dig a good portion of my silver dimes at 8-10 inches, and quarters as deep as a foot. Programs that work best for me are Park1 & 2. Park1 a little deeper on silver for me. F2-0, Recovery 4 for the deep stuff, 5-6 for the more shallow silver sites. Sensitivity needs to be as high as possible where the targets can be real deep. The default of 20 fine for most sites, but is almost to hot where trash is super thick and actually can be beneficial to drop to 17 or 18.

Thanks trashfinder for that detailed explanation. I know exactly what signals your talking about,I don't dig them often but I actually dug a few wheats today with the 600. So choppy and sloppy I couldn't even pinpont,had to walk the coil back till it dropped off, actually had to do that in a few directions on the same target cause I kept losing it ..I know the nox is a good machine in modern trash, the audio is very good. I've dug so many zinc's tho that hit 25,26 that it gets frustrating, especially when I'm trying to concentrate on old coins and not dig so many holes in the park.. But I definitely know what you mean about that blip and flash of a higher 20s number. Glad you wrote that in detail so everyone can read it,I totally agree.. Thanks

Wood, i have had problems with off ID's when i tried to upgrade my nox, i ended up back at 1.7.5 and I don't have any ID problems with zincs that high. I really do not have an answer for what your talking about, seems nox users are experiencing this Id issue on random machines. Maybe i need to try an update then if it does this, at that point do a factory reset or something to see if that works. Wish i had a better answer for it.

This explains your opinion of the nox compared to the at pro a little more. If I was finding zincs that hit 25-26 I would be frustrated as well. I honestly have no explanation for this. I have literally never seen a zinc penny hit above 22 anywhere here in Midwest or Florida the two areas I have hunted with nox. Zincs hit 21 99% of the time. They will hit lower if they are really corroded. 25-26 is usually a wheat cent. Sometimes a clad dime. Pastor Bob uses a 600 and we hunt together a lot and his numbers are nearly identical to what I see. As we often check each other's signals when we get a promising signal while hunting near each other. Clad dimes are the only coin that routinely trick me. Most other coins fall into separate ranges for me. Indians 18-20, zincs 21 wheats 25-26, silver dimes 27 clad quarters 30. Silver quarters 31-32 and silver halves 32-34. Of course those numbers can slide up or down in more challenging scenarios like surrounded by trash or very deep iffy signals. But I can usually narrow in on an old coin no matter what the conditions are.

So maybe it is soil conditions or settings related?? I'm not sure what causes your zincs to hit that range. That would be frustrating for sure. That is why I stress that in my area the nox works best for me.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Ohio is listed as a Midwest State and I see more people using the AT PRO or Etrac than I do the Equinox. I am wondering how much are you willing to pay to dig the trash that the outdated detectors leave behind?
We will have to agree to disagree on your first point. Nearly every detectorist I know from Instagram, YouTube, forums etc from that area use equinox or other minelab machines. Now I'm sure I follow more minelab people because I have been using nox for years. Just as you run in garrett circles more likely and connect with more garrett users.

If you have some old sites that have been hunted by At pro or other older machines and that produced silver. I would pay good money to search them with my nox. You just let me know when and where and I will plan a summer trip[emoji16]

This explains your opinion of the nox compared to the at pro a little more. If I was finding zincs that hit 25-26 I would be frustrated as well. I honestly have no explanation for this. I have literally never seen a zinc penny hit above 22 anywhere here in Midwest or Florida the two areas I have hunted with nox. Zincs hit 21 99% of the time. They will hit lower if they are really corroded. 25-26 is usually a wheat cent. Sometimes a clad dime. Pastor Bob uses a 600 and we hunt together a lot and his numbers are nearly identical to what I see. As we often check each other's signals when we get a promising signal while hunting near each other. Clad dimes are the only coin that routinely trick me. Most other coins fall into separate ranges for me. Indians 18-20, zincs 21 wheats 25-26, silver dimes 27 clad quarters 30. Silver quarters 31-32 and silver halves 32-34. Of course those numbers can slide up or down in more challenging scenarios like surrounded by trash or very deep iffy signals. But I can usually narrow in on an old coin no matter what the conditions are.

So maybe it is soil conditions or settings related?? I'm not sure what causes your zincs to hit that range. That would be frustrating for sure. That is why I stress that in my area the nox works best for me.

This my theory I bet Woodbutcher comes across a zinc and never really gets centered over the target. I even still occasionally get fooled. I'll think I have a deep dime and think oh boy! Then I end up getting centered and it's a penny of some sort. The Equinox is a very hot machine and if you don't get centered over every target your not going to get accurate numbers. You can be several inches off a target and it will up the numbers and make you think it's deeper than it really is. That's what I think is happening.

Took the nox out yesterday and today,short hunts. Machine does make coins appear in places I wouldn't imagine, all wheats but coulda been a silver.
The zinc's haven't gotten me yet with this 600, it's new but for some reason not updated to the 4 khz? No need for it anyway,I'll leave it the way it is.
But yea, those zinc's week killing me on the prior 600 and 800.Once in awhile I don't mind and if one turned out to be a gold ring I'd probably dig em all after. But man,it's disheartening after 7,sometimes 10 crusty deep zinc's reading like 25,and even as much as a 27 flashing. Get down there and find a wore out zinc, come close to causing a scene in the park.lol.
Maybe I just dug all the zinc's out of there, and hope cause my times not worth more than anyone elses,but I try to get the most out of it.

We will have to agree to disagree on your first point. Nearly every detectorist I know from Instagram, YouTube, forums etc from that area use equinox or other minelab machines. Now I'm sure I follow more minelab people because I have been using nox for years. Just as you run in garrett circles more likely and connect with more garrett users.

If you have some old sites that have been hunted by At pro or other older machines and that produced silver. I would pay good money to search them with my nox. You just let me know when and where and I will plan a summer trip[emoji16]

I am talking about the people I have talked to that use the AT PRO and Etrac plus other detectors. I am not talking people, that I have never seen. Some of the ones that run the Etrac have found $5 gold coins with them. So tell me how many gold coins have you found? I know that I have done better with other detectors than I have with the Equinox 800. I base my opinion on what I find not what someone else finds. Enjoy finding what you find and I'll enjoy finding what I find.

I am talking about the people I have talked to that use the AT PRO and Etrac plus other detectors. I am not talking people, that I have never seen. Some of the ones that run the Etrac have found $5 gold coins with them. So tell me how many gold coins have you found? I know that I have done better with other detectors than I have with the Equinox 800. I base my opinion on what I find not what someone else finds. Enjoy finding what you find and I'll enjoy finding what I find.

I am also talking about people I know and actual detectors I have used. I owned and used the at pro, etrac, nox 800, and ctx for years. I love the etrac. Nox is lighter and easier to use so I prefer it.

Lol not to many gold coins in Nebraska. Don't think I would find one in a lifetime of hunting here no matter what machine I use. Hoover boys found 2 gold coins just this year with at pro. It's all about location.

No need to get all bent out shape buddy. I just love to follow lower end detectors like the at pro and find all the goodies they miss.[emoji106][emoji38]

Hoover boys found 2 gold coins just this year with at pro. It's all about location.
[emoji106][emoji38]

This right here is the difference between having a fun day and a not so fun day...Nothing fun to me about trying to squeeze every last wheat at a wore out site ,that’s a lot of work and time for a penny that I still get in my change occasionally.
New locations are the key to success finds,,much more so than the machine used..Not everyone has the balls to door knock or ask permission,so I get that. But research plays a huge part,and fields were Somtimes homesteads and woods were too. You tube videos like the places long gone give a great example of places that no one knew existed.Just my opinion,but I think a few hours worth of research could open up new hunting grounds for people who are tired of wore out parks.

This right here is the difference between having a fun day and a not so fun day...Nothing fun to me about trying to squeeze every last wheat at a wore out site ,that’s a lot of work and time for a penny that I still get in my change occasionally.
New locations are the key to success finds,,much more so than the machine used..Not everyone has the balls to door knock or ask permission,so I get that. But research plays a huge part,and fields were Somtimes homesteads and woods were too. You tube videos like the places long gone give a great example of places that no one knew existed.Just my opinion,but I think a few hours worth of research could open up new hunting grounds for people who are tired of wore out parks.

X2

Yep I completely agree. I do find great pleasure in scraping out one or two deep silvers or silvers lost among the trash in local parks that have been pounded. But finding a site through research or door knocking that has never been hunted or rarely hunted is the most exciting and fun experience and usually yields far more good coins.

I agree with that! Sometimes i just do not have that virgin spot though so off to a pounded site i go,,, with confidence i can recover something left by others with NOX. I know a guy that is a door knocking machine and he does extremely well with his entry level detector.

I agree with that! Sometimes i just do not have that virgin spot though so off to a pounded site i go,,, with confidence i can recover something left by others with NOX. I know a guy that is a door knocking machine and he does extremely well with his entry level detector.

Yup,I go to our wore out park cause it’s close,and I don’t wanna travel ,just swing for a half hour or so. I also live across the street from a church that goes back to the early 1800s,,that’s my spot for night hunting,it’s about a half acre of grass.Recovered a few halves,multiple barber dimes and mercs,etc. Backlight is real important to me for that reason.

The Pro has a good record but the advancements in the industry has caused that record to slide down hill in the past year or so. Adding multi frequency to the Pro would be like putting Cadillac hubcaps on a Edsel. They need to re invent their Pro platform to these new advanced standards and then slip that new feature into the package. That next step would have a new nomenclature like BT Pro.

Could it be that any logical technology is already patented by someone else? This would hamper any company from moving forward.

I think the Pro is, and will continue to be an excellent machine. I would say it can find about 90% of the targets that an Equinox will. The other 10% of targets are either masked, very deep, or in severely mineralized ground. Most beginners or amateur detectorists don’t want to be digging 12 inch holes or swinging very slowly in a bed of nails listening for a peep of nonferrous sound. They will do just fine with a pro. Some serious detectorists also appreciate the AT Series for its simplicity. For a beginner detectorist the equinox is not “simple”. I don’t deny that FBS (if you are coin hunting) and multi iq have a performance edge over most single frequency machines. I am saying that for MOST detectorists, a Pro is all they need.

The problem is that if they stay in the hobby they will want to do that. THEN they will have to learn and purchase a new detector. Like anything else buy the best you can afford and LEARN it. The truth is the first detector I had was a bounty hunter in the early 2000's. It really was a pathetic machine to ME. I am sure others did well with it. I found a quarter. But that machine in all of its ugliness got me hooked on the hobby. So really it was priceless

Back
Top Bottom