1860’s-80’s race coarse

mosdt of my finds at tracks come in either around the main stretch that includes the finish line, or if it was also used as a fair grounds or public racing, there would be bleachers, food tents, and people selling items. You want to look for the .22 shells from blanks used in starter pistols, that will get you close to the start/finish line. there should be a pile of em near the side of the track somewhere if the track still shows signs of being there(look for clay, most tracks had packed clay as the track surface....atleast they did around me). On the larger tracks there were also stable buildings and as you said a watering hole. Also look for any banks or hillsides next to and overviewing the track as people would set up and picnic and watch from those spots.

This particular horse owner was very wealthy. I’ve found the horse track on 2 maps. I’m not sure how long he used the track. He moved all his race horses and racing operations a couple hundred miles away at some point. Currently most of this location has tall grass and brush on it. I was able to hunt patches where the grass folded over for winter. There’s no visible signs of the track oval due to the brush and grass. I might try again.

Back
Top Bottom