Sunday silver

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
Got out Sunday morning early, went to a nearby reservoir the water level is down at. There's an area of concrete platforms and a rock looking weird roundish foundation that is exposed when the water is low enough. I've detected this area in prior years, a few times, but not with the Nox. There's a ton of older aluminum beer cans buried all over the place here. I tried detecting around the concrete platforms, around the rock 'foundation' and inside/atop it - couldn't find much around them - did find the two buss fuses parts ("BUSS 100A Superlag" says one). Oh, I also got a wheat cent which gave me hope.

I fanned farther out from the slabs, and found another wheat cent. Found the old wooden lure (Southbend Fish-obite) - it was an eyeball find, half buried in the frozen mud. A while later, and further away yet, got a decent signal and pulled the 3rd wheat cent, but there was still a high tone in the hole. Dug a bit further and pinpointed the Rosie :) Was a bit of a surprise really. That rounded out the hunt pretty much.

It's a muddy mess but the partially frozen top layer helped to keep my boots on ;)

Silver #1 for the year, and I think I'll go back and try more there.

Happy New Year and hunting!

Attachments

• 0B336DD5-A612-43C2-9CA0-317BE615D72B.jpg
    0B336DD5-A612-43C2-9CA0-317BE615D72B.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 266
  • BFDDA5B5-6A5E-4A77-9C95-71AA2A6D8A35.jpg
    BFDDA5B5-6A5E-4A77-9C95-71AA2A6D8A35.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 2A1A5475-323E-45D0-982C-A7A0E54A41E9.jpg
    2A1A5475-323E-45D0-982C-A7A0E54A41E9.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 248
Way to go GS. Congrats on silver # 1. and the wheats. I didn't think you guys had frozen ground in CA. At least according to Tom its all Bermuda shorts and sandals. Did you set a silver goal for 2021 yet ? Good luck and hopefully # 2 is right around the corner. Mark

Those buss items are fuse links. In days of yore, they would be inside the cardboard fuse cartridge:D

Man that fishing lure is awesome! I’m surprised it still has the hooks on it. Those old wooden lures can sometimes be worth some money. Congrats on the rosie too!

Gotta love those drained lakes :yes: congrats on the rosie, and good luck when you get back out there!

For sure, thanks Jeff. This one can’t hold a candle to the one you raked in all that gold at! I have found a number of gold in other spots at this lake in the past.

Nice finds. Love the lure. It would look nice in my collection.

Thank you!

Congrats on #1 fty as to break the ice!

Thanks Jak!

Way to go GS. Congrats on silver # 1. and the wheats. I didn't think you guys had frozen ground in CA. At least according to Tom its all Bermuda shorts and sandals. Did you set a silver goal for 2021 yet ? Good luck and hopefully # 2 is right around the corner. Mark

Thank you Mark. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada’s, lower montane forest, and this lake spot is itself in a low spot, and frequently frosted over. Tom’s down mid-state along the coast. Still can get chilly there too. I don’t set goals so much. I found 16 silver coins in 2020, 20 the year before, and a total of 6 from 2013-2018. I would really like to find a barber, or if I dream too much, a seated. Either would make my year - I kid you not!

Those buss items are fuse links. In days of yore, they would be inside the cardboard fuse cartridge:D

Thanks Matmit. I was hoping they’d give me a clue as to what used to be here in the past.

Man that fishing lure is awesome! I’m surprised it still has the hooks on it. Those old wooden lures can sometimes be worth some money. Congrats on the rosie too!

Thank you Toad. The back hook was rusted away, the belly hook has two nearly left. I kind of suspect it could have been someone losing one of their grandpa’s lures more recently than back when, but I don’t know for sure. It alone would have made the hunt a happy one, got really lucky with the Rosie. I was literally just meandering around trying to find something good. Funny when it works out.

That sounds and looks like a good spot you have found. Congrats on the finds and hope there's more goodies to find.

Thank you Jam! Hard for me to make sense out of this spot. Figure a house or building of some type used to be there, then decades of reservoir silt etc. I hope there’s more too - hard to find time to detect these days :crying:

Yes sounds like a great found spot to me as well

I’m hoping to go back before the waters rise!

Congrats on the first silver for the year. Deserves another hunt before the water levels come back up.

Back
Top Bottom