New Simplex + and Accessories Advice

insanelupus

I've been a casual hobbyist for a little over 18 years. My one and only machine purchased used in 2002 is a White's Classic II SL. Last year, Santa added a Garrett pin pointer to the group and I have a Predator Tools Piranha on the way to use in addition to my tile spade. I've found many coins, several relics, and more pull tabs, nails, and can slaw than I care to remember! LOL

My wife and I have two daughters who are almost teenagers and last year we started doing more with the detector as a family and having a blast.

We primarily hunt for change and jewelry at public campsites and beaches, but occasionally do some gold panning and creek walking while camping in the summers. We have a few permissions for next year with older houses (pre-1930) here in MT and hope to check those out too. Relics, jewelry, coins, etc., are our focus with the permissions. We will possibly do some traveling with the detector too.

Our goal is a new detector and pin pointer to run two teams of two as we check stuff out in the future as a family. I prefer to buy new just from the standpoint of warranty. Plus, I've never had a new machine.

After much consideration, I'm pretty sold on purchasing a Nokta Makro Simplex Plus with the wireless headphones. A package deal with the pin pointer is appealing from a financial standpoint. I've also considered adding the SP24 coil on a spare carbon lower shaft for faster switchout, in areas with a lot of junk/can slaw, etc. I'd likely purchase everything at one time.

Price point, relatively simple adjustments (but still somewhat customizable), ability to update (looking at the 2.77 update as the mainstay at the moment), waterproof to 10' for days when it may rain lightly or around the creeks in camp, and what appears to be a terrific value for the price and performance are all things I've been studying. I originally looked at the Garrett AT PRO, but I keep coming back to the Simplex since it became readily available at the beginning of last year.

Questions for those more knowledgeable than I.

1. Aside from interference issues with the Garrett Pin Pointer, will we be gaining or loosing anything significant with the bundled Nokta Makro pin pointer?

2. Is there a water proof/resistant machine at a higher price point that will be such a significant improvement for our use and needs that I should consider increasing the budget to consider?

3. While I know the frequency doesn't make it a gold machine, what kind of performance on gold items (coins and/or jewelry) could I expect from the Simplex?

4. For those areas that have a lot of trash in them, is there a better consideration than the new SP-24 DD coil from Nokta Makro to add to the Simplex?

I'm pretty locked in to the Simplex, but I learned a long time ago that what I know versus others is often far less, especially those with experience in the field. Before we make our investment, I want to make sure I haven't overlooked something I had not thought of beforehand and/or that what I am getting will be the best tool all around for our goals.

Many thanks for your replies.

For the price you really can't beat the Simplex, especially when equipped with the 5x9 DD coil. If you want about 1-2" more depth the 8.5" coil is the way to go. I stuck with the 5x9 coil as most of my targets are within 0-7" range. The Simplex finds gold jewelry, no need to worry about that. More than sensitive enough to find tiny bits of foil that fall into the tiny gold jewelry and nuggets. Nokta's seem to like low conductors.

A step above the Simplex is the Multi- Kruzer in "bells and whistles."
If budget is not an issue that the Anfibio-Multi the overall best choice.
To get the most out of all these detectors, you need to spend some time learning the in and outs of using everything they have to offer.

The Simplex gives me the performance with just the right amount and important features that are useful. Even tho I had the Impact, Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio-Multi. The Simplex is more than enough to cover the type of hunting I do most. Enough so I don't miss the other machines.

Now if Nokta would produce a 5" round DD coil, the Simplex would make a nice trash hunting detector. I hear NEL will be making some smaller after market coils for the Simplex.

Nice thing about the Simplex, they seem to hold their resale value. If you don't mesh with it, there's always an eager buyer...

Last edited:
I have owned the Simplex, Multi Kruzer and have used the Anfibio. Personally, I prefer the Simplex. I don't know what Nokta Makro did to the Simplex, but for me in my moderate to highly mineralized soil conditions, the Simplex had much more accurate target ID responses on medium depth targets 4 to 6" than the Multi Kruzer and the Anfibio which up averaged low and mid conductors severely into the high conductor range so that a US nickel or pull tab became a US dime or US copper penny as far as tones and target ID. The Simplex did much better by at least giving a mid conductor tone for those targets and the numbers were only slightly off.

I wouldn't worry too much about interference with a 12 to 15 kHz handheld pinpointer since the Simplex has a mute function or you can just set the Simplex down with the coil to the left, right or even directly behind you when you dig your target (9 o'clock, 3 o'clock or 6 o'clock) instead of having it parallel to you with the coil near the target area.

The Simplex is a high gain detector and will hit small foil targets in normal dirt. Whether it will penetrate higher mineralization on tiny targets is another story. It did okay in my testing on small gold nuggets down to .1 grams at 1.5 inches in mineralized dirt. There are numerous gold specific VLF detectors that will do better than that.

The only detector that I would recommend unequivocally over the Simplex is the Minelab Equinox 600 or 800.

Re: the 8.5" round vs 5"x9" extra coil.

I was under the impression the 8.5" round was better suited to water detecting and the 5"x9" was more for target separation in junkier terrain. Have I misunderstood? Deeper targets would be fine, but with the stock coil I figured we would get plenty of depth, and if the soil is junky, we'll have to clean it up before we hit the deeper targets anyway.

Maybe I've misunderstood?

I considered the Equinox, but for the price point, the Simplex still seems to get my attention.

Re: the 8.5" round vs 5"x9" extra coil.

I was under the impression the 8.5" round was better suited to water detecting and the 5"x9" was more for target separation in junkier terrain. Have I misunderstood? Deeper targets would be fine, but with the stock coil I figured we would get plenty of depth, and if the soil is junky, we'll have to clean it up before we hit the deeper targets anyway.

Maybe I've misunderstood?

I considered the Equinox, but for the price point, the Simplex still seems to get my attention.

If you plan on using the Simplex at modern parks and camping sites, I would definitely recommend getting the SP24. For me the Simplex quickly became overwhelming at modern sites with lots of low conductor targets. It recovers really quickly and many times it was sounding off like a machine gun. I ran the smaller coil almost exclusively after getting it. Totally changed the behavior for me. I immediately started finding clad again in areas I had already been over. I took it to some home sites here in the woods and it seemed to have no problem finding targets in the 4-6 inch range. I can’t really say much about its depth compared to the stock coil, but for separation, it made a world of difference to me.

Back
Top Bottom