Old bullets and Large Cent

VetStudent

Howdy y'all. Was metal detecting in the back yard this afternoon with my boys (seven and three). I learned an old road once came across the back of our property 150 years ago. As we walked down my oldest said confidently "Robert E Lee walked through our backyard!" Made our way to where I could imagine where the old road may have cut through.

We hit a bouncing 68-70s tone on the AT Pro. As I started digging my oldest then proclaims "It's going to be a penny!" Low and behold out pops this 1853 with gorgeous details on the obverse (the reverse is toast). Of course, the coin immediately belongs to my son since he called it right!

We found three different types of bullets in a known cavalry camp yesterday. As we were walking into the field my oldest told his brother "The Yankees camped here!" The younger says "Where are the yankees?" I laughed and said "All the Yankees are gone, nobody is alive that fought in the war." The youngest immediately asks "Did PopPop shoot the Yankees?"

Great couple of days!

Attachments

• coin1.JPG
    coin1.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 445
  • va.JPG
    va.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Not sure on the bullet, I found a few last year at a place where the civil war soldiers came through but also didn't have the white patina. I searched for a while but gave up. Congrats on the braided hair largie!

Not sure on the bullet, I found a few last year at a place where the civil war soldiers came through but also didn't have the white patina. I searched for a while but gave up. Congrats on the braided hair largie!

Thanks for the comment- literally was just editing the post to omit the bullet question (figured out it was a modern .357 semiwadcutter).

Congratulations on the finds, my boys just saved enough to buy a couple BH jrs. I ordered off amazon. They are 8 and 9, and just got really interested after I took them detecting a bit. :grin:

Awesome hunt and finds! I think the best is the time spent with your kids though!

You have an awesome looking property there, plenty of space! Congrats on the LC and the bullets, and of course getting some priceless time with your kids!

That picture with your kids is priceless. Congrats on winning at the "Dad" thing. Nice finds.

Awesome hunt with the kids! My teenage boys won't have anything to do with detecting. Congrats on the largie and bullets. Very cool that this is on your property.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom