Well I found an "OMG" defect

Glennz

Elite Member
Well I found this little guy... I thought it was foreign at first as it got stuck in the wrapper.

No the protector has nothing to do with the coin besides protecting it.

SANY1022.JPG

SANY1026.JPG

Good thing you put the disclaimer about the protector. I was gonna post that you've found the world's first time-travelling coin ;-)

(nice error! What do you call that? Clipped planchet? Off-set die?)

I'm always skeptical about clipped planchet coins.

Some guy in a machine shop can turn a $0.05 nickel into a $40.00 nickel in about ten seconds.

I'm always skeptical about clipped planchet coins.

Some guy in a machine shop can turn a $0.05 nickel into a $40.00 nickel in about ten seconds.

I too would have been skeptical of the clipped planchet, but since the planchet was so offset have many doubts.

It's a nice broadstrike! And KT thought he saw a clip at about 1:00 position in the first image...to determine if the clip is real, there is always opposite the clip a small area on the rim from it...It has a name but The King's memory ain't up to par to recall it right now!

Congrats on that find! Did you get it from a roll, or out of circulation, or from a coin box at your local dealer?

I got it from a coin roll. Was quite surprised as it is larger than a reg nickle due to its defect, must have been hard to get in as it was hard to get out.

Back
Top Bottom