Curse of Oak Island, Gary Drayton, opportunity for improvement.

Are you a mod? If not, MYOB. You're making something out of nothing.

Mind my own business? Your the one calling me and anyone else who watches the show fools . Maybe if you have an opinion on something fine but don't come in here calling people fools.

My 5 yo and I enjoy the show. He loves all the construction equipment and this show brings me back to a 1970's showed name IN Search Of, narrated by Leonard Nimoy. I totally remember that episode a d when I saw the original previews I was stoked. We got the metal detector to find my inflatables stakes. And watching this show has him wanting to go out metal detecting. In fact we are going out for about 30m tonight when I get home from work.... The show got my kiddo interested in a healthy hobby. Kudos to them... Personally I think the treasure has been dug up and smelted / spent. ..

Mind my own business? Your the one calling me and anyone else who watches the show fools . Maybe if you have an opinion on something fine but don't come in here calling people fools.
If you thought my comment was out of line, feel free to report it or send me a PM. Calling me out here on a comment that wasn't directed at any one person is rude. Remember, this is a FRIENDLY FORUM.

I'm always curious about shows like that. I watch because I like to think that there may be something there. I read about oak island years ago before the show and it always made me wonder. Unfortunately any time they find something now it's quite possible that it came from one of the many searchers before them. The whole island is tainted now with tunnels and lumber from everyone before them. It's still fun to watch.

I don't mind the show, how ever, I believe that many people on this forum including myself, are just as accomplished as Gary Drayton. No disrespect to him, just my opinion. Detecting on Oak island with a nice pay check and I'd be there in a heart beat.

Go to the 2:00 minute mark of the Gary Draton video “Looting Davey Jones Locker”
Go to the 1:30 mark in the “Towel Line gold and diamonds” video.

The ring “found” in both of those videos is the same one....a year apart.

They would never fake finds!

Go to YouTube and check it out for yourself.

Go to the 2:00 minute mark of the Gary Draton video “Looting Davey Jones Locker”
Go to the 1:30 mark in the “Towel Line gold and diamonds” video.

The ring “found” in both of those videos is the same one....a year apart.

They would never fake finds!

Go to YouTube and check it out for yourself.

Imagine that...:laughing:

Should move this thread over to the water hunting section... :worms:

Fellas...let’s be fair here. In the more recent video he is showing where the “towel line” is and clearly states,”Things like this(shows ring in question) CAN BE FOUND along the towel line....”. Just because someone has a beef for some reason doesn’t automatically make them a liar,fraud,pretentious or any other thing. He never said in that video that it was found that day or even when it was found. He was using it as an example.
When people put up videos FOR FREE to try to help people to achieve success as well and then get &$*# on for putting it out there...even someone with a thick skin gets tired of that. The OP had a legitimate question about swing speed/height. Hopefully he got something out of all this before it turned into a bash fest. Someone simply didn’t pay enough attention to what was being presented and that the ring was an EXAMPLE...nothing more.

Fellas...let’s be fair here. In the more recent video he is showing where the “towel line” is and clearly states,”Things like this(shows ring in question) CAN BE FOUND along the towel line....”. Just because someone has a beef for some reason doesn’t automatically make them a liar,fraud,pretentious or any other thing. He never said in that video that it was found that day or even when it was found. He was using it as an example.
When people put up videos FOR FREE to try to help people to achieve success as well and then get &$*# on for putting it out there...even someone with a thick skin gets tired of that. The OP had a legitimate question about swing speed/height. Hopefully he got something out of all this before it turned into a bash fest. Someone simply didn’t pay enough attention to what was being presented and that the ring was an EXAMPLE...nothing more.

I get your point IDX... for me its like a youtube video.. its click bait... as long as people watch it they will continue to produce it... personally I watched the first year and decided it wasn't worth my time to watch it... if others like it enjoy...

I get your point IDX... for me its like a youtube video.. its click bait... as long as people watch it they will continue to produce it... personally I watched the first year and decided it wasn't worth my time to watch it... if others like it enjoy...

I couldn’t agree more, Oak Island was fun to watch and hear the backstory of all the people who had looked for this supposed treasure...and why they thought something was there to begin with. The “dreamer” in me was entertained by a treasure hunt! And then the “utilitarian” in me looked at the entire situation and decided pretty quickly that the entire thing from the very start 200 years ago didn’t make much sense from a “where should we bury the most priceless artifacts known to man” standpoint. The animations of perfectly layered logs at 10 foot intervals may have in reality been random logs...the supposed “flood tunnels” could be and likely are just natural geography of the island. Nobody back in those times when this whole thing was purportedly installed could have made that shaft in that place...it would’ve caved in,just like it caved in on everybody else. And it goes on and on...and winds up being exactly what we are seeing...new episodes of the same thing,which is nothing. Now it’s like they are branching out to other islands to include them in all this preposterousness...ness..ness.
Whatever metal artifacts they find are going to be either from other searchers or it’s stuff that got blown in from weather systems and just wound up there. You’d very likely search any of those surrounding islands and find very similar stuff. But that’s not what the show is about! Yet...

To IDX monster, I detected the Pecatonica fairgrounds back in the 1960's before the pec thing ever existed and we never found a single coin . We had homemade detectors then but the main thing we found were light bulb bases by the bushel. They must have come from the midway of the county fair . We also found lots of motorcycle parts (chain links, spark plugs, nuts & bolts, etc.) from when they raced there. I would think there would be lots of clad in there. That would be a big place to cover.

To IDX monster, I detected the Pecatonica fairgrounds back in the 1960's before the pec thing ever existed and we never found a single coin . We had homemade detectors then but the main thing we found were light bulb bases by the bushel. They must have come from the midway of the county fair . We also found lots of motorcycle parts (chain links, spark plugs, nuts & bolts, etc.) from when they raced there. I would think there would be lots of clad in there. That would be a big place to cover.

That’s pretty cool you were in there back then Bounder! Maybe they had some really secure pockets back then around those parts...and it is a lot of property! I love old fairgrounds as most around here have been a fairground for a long time. A lot of REALLY good finds can be made,but it’s not super easy. It just takes time...:grin:

No, I've never been to any fairgrounds...but I'd love to check one out...let's shoot for the spring for a hunt :)

Absolutely! Stay safe in this weather that’s coming,I’m not quite sure what to expect,could be a little,could be more than that. We’ll see soon enough!

Anyone involved with this show runs the risk of harming their reputation. The show is now a complete and total joke. Did you see the episode where they claimed that they finally found gold? Total baloney. I was foolish enough to watch that episode and all they found was a gold gilt button! They were hamming it up like it was an incredibly rare and historic find! Ridiculous!

Sorry, but this show does nothing but harm the reputation of ALL treasure hunters. SIX seasons of absolutely nothing found. How long can they drag out this obviously bogus show? As long as there enough fools to watch it, the show will go on and on ad infinitum.

Do you want to show us, on the doll, where the bad TV man touched you? :laughing:

We watch Oak Island and as most people realize it is a show. Others probably think the same way I do. If I was really going to detect for something I am sure there are plenty of volunteering who would love to hunt the island, me included. So get 50 people looking for treasure, relics, and anything old. Only one person hunting for treasure, yup it just a show.

Be careful who you defend, you should look up some old posts from him or even read his blog. Especially his wording... Is he looking to help or to polish his own ego??? Here was a blog post he had, was quickly changed when people read it... You can come to your own conclusions, pay attention to the last sentence... And I quote...

""When I want to search where another beach or water hunter is already searching, I always try to trick them into moving. The more the other hunter is watching you, the easier it is to trick them into moving. Try scooping several imaginary targets on the beach or in the water, pretend that you are looking at something good before putting the fake find away. Do this several more times until you really know that you have the other person hooked. I sometimes help to sell the trick by letting out a loud YES! Walk away from the area and past the other hunter but do not dig anything, even if you get a signal. Nine times out of ten the other person will move towards the pretend hot spot, that is your cue to go directly to the good area that has now been given up by the person you just hooked. Dont be afraid to drop a few "anchor finds" such as nickels or pull tabs to keep them interested and in place until you have firmly established that you are not giving up the spot..."

Back
Top Bottom