Found a few more at the "milk bottle dump"! UPDATE Jan 7-- A few more found.

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Returned to last week's dump and, continuing the dig, uncovered a few more milks. Another Cloverleaf (Gary, Ind.) Qt from 1946, two more half-pint Dixie's (Gary, Ind) 1947 & 1949, A nice dual-use half-pint Thompson's Chesterton, Ind/Gateway New Buffalo, Mich. from 1949, and three Vernor's Ginger Ale, all 1946. There was a slew of slick (unembossed) half-pint milks and an unembossed slug-plate Qt. milk.:(. Plus the usual rusty cans (conetop beers!) and junk.

This dump is not finished yet, I will return yet again.

Update 1-7-19 Hit the dump again before the rain came (yes-rain in January!). I found more milks and sodas but only brought 5 back.

Half-Pints: Borden's (1947), Producer's Creamery- Benton Harbor, Mich. 1947, LC United- Indiana Harbor, Ind. (now East Chicago, Ind.) 1947, QUARTS: Nelson Farm Dairy- McCool, Ind. (1946) and another Cloverleaf from Gary, Ind. 1942 with a war imprint. Was hoping the two Pyro quarts would be savable, but the 70+ year dirtnap took it's toll. The Nelson's looks to be a desirable bottle according to the book. I will probably save the Nelson until a better one comes along.

This dump still has more to offer.

Attachments

• SS857098x.jpg
    SS857098x.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 537
  • SS857101x.jpg
    SS857101x.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 577
  • SS857102x.jpg
    SS857102x.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 584
  • SS857105.jpg
    SS857105.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 499
  • SS857106x.jpg
    SS857106x.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 506
  • SS857108x.jpg
    SS857108x.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 516
  • SS857107x.jpg
    SS857107x.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 494
  • SS857109.jpg
    SS857109.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 471
  • SS857181.JPG
    SS857181.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 361
  • SS857179.jpg
    SS857179.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 379
  • SS857176.jpg
    SS857176.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 370
  • SS857175.jpg
    SS857175.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Wow that is great. Hopefully you’ll keep finding the goods as you keep going. This nice weather in December makes for happy digging. I’m in PA atm and planning on hitting a few spots tomorrow that I remember as a kid. Hopefully I can find them

I bought some vernors soda some years back and yech! Worst one ever!!

Whoa whoa whoa!!! First of all some nice glass there Glass. But more importantly, Vernon’s is a delicious Michigan tradition! (Once you get over the psychological reminder of only having it when you were sick as a kid...)

Michiganders to back me up??

Whoa whoa whoa!!! First of all some nice glass there Glass. But more importantly, Vernon’s is a delicious Michigan tradition! (Once you get over the psychological reminder of only having it when you were sick as a kid...)

Michiganders to back me up??
They don’t like it, it’s not fruity and nutty enough! :laughing: Well!

Love that Vernors! Good for a tummy ache too.

That’s great. I’m glad you were able to get back out there with the nice weather.

1. Are you only finding milks for the most part or are there other bottles too.

That’s great. I’m glad you were able to get back out there with the nice weather.

1. Are you only finding milks for the most part or are there other bottles too.

Well, this current dump seems predominately milks, with the Vernor's (and a few other sodas) along with some usual junk food bottles. Finding this amount of milks is not the norm so I'm liking it. Now if they were some rare ones from *my* town...that would be icing on the proverbial cake. :grin:

Well, this current dump seems predominately milks, with the Vernor's (and a few other sodas) along with some usual junk food bottles. Finding this amount of milks is not the norm so I'm liking it. Now if they were some rare ones from *my* town...that would be icing on the proverbial cake. :grin:

you should grab a few of those crown tops and bring them home. i'm not sure they can be helped but I was told by someone recently that beer cans that look like complete trash can be cleaned and come out good enough that people may want them, if they aren't common.

I was checking out the rusty can website to have a look at it and sure enough - they can get things looking great that looked like a pile of rust.

Maybe a winter project?

you should grab a few of those crown tops and bring them home. i'm not sure they can be helped but I was told by someone recently that beer cans that look like complete trash can be cleaned and come out good enough that people may want them, if they aren't common.

I was checking out the rusty can website to have a look at it and sure enough - they can get things looking great that looked like a pile of rust.

Maybe a winter project?

Yeah I've used Oxalic acid on many an old can, but these were "Oops!-thumb-just-went-thru-it" cans. They just disentegrated. Oh well.:roll:

I had no idea how far gone these rusted cans can be and still be cleaned and desired by people. I'm sure like everyone else, I have come across cans in a variety of stages of rusted and always just assumed they were trash. Now I'm going to need to start considering rusty cans in my expeditions......haha great.

Yes, back in the 70s I used to find all kinds of cans (sometimes just on the ground in the woods) that still were good enough to save with a good cleaning. Circa '79 when the beer can-collecting craze was big, we were finding beer cans all over that were savable, but nowdays, so many years have passed with the elements degrading 'em there just isn't much to save. You have no idea how many times I've (lately) found/dug a can and thought "Man! I wish I'd have found this years ago, I could'a saved it". Still, some cans will still survive in protected areas such as in/under buildings, buried in beachsand, and finding them at sales/auctions etc. Back around '87 or so I found a nice old Miller can circa 1949 in an old metal cabinet somebody dumped in a roadside ditch (see pics) that cleaned up nicely. I can't imagine that happening nowdays but I've been surprised before!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 258
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 276
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 263

Attachments

• 20180410_181223x_resized.jpg