Problem curb strip hunting

Curb strips

Sad, for both the killer and the victim.

Some old Lady up here in my little town was found dead out in her backyard this past week, out in the snow...All the neighbors and cops said she was a real screaming swearing troublemaker..always looking out the window and running out to bust everybodys balz, calling the cops on her neighbors for some sort of infraction, leaf blowing, grass cutting, kids making too much noise, dogs barking, you name it......you know the kind, Neighborhood WatchWitch...theres one on every block...pretty common, hates everybody and completely insane...

Anyway, her neighbor, some old Man who had no criminal record other than a speeding ticket, Looks like Santa Clause or Grandpa Walton..even...gentle old guy,...evidently didnt know how to plow his driveway right or something, snow was pushing over onto hers or some damn thing......So out she comes to give him hell once again for about the umpteenth time, screaming right up in his face like she got away with for so many years before....He just couldnt take it anymore I guess, caught him on a bad day, up in his face all swearing, and stabbing at his nose with her finger...Peaceful old guy snapped...So he impulsively killed her dead and left her body out in the snow bank, probably punched her teeth right through the back of her head......as far as I know, he's not a detectorist....

This should be a warning to all the old crazies out there, peeping out their windows looking for somebody to bust on...not that they will take heed and settle down a bit..but damn! chill! That old curbstripping b'tard aint hurting anything! ...Old men can only be pushed so far....I dont know what leads people to this advanced stage of insanity to bumrush an Old Man and dish out hell with no thought to their own safety?? ? Cats? :laughing:

Silver lining to this whole tragedy?? At least the neighborhood can shoot off fireworks on New Years Eve at Midnight, and the curbstrip in front of her house is fair game ...I hope I get called up for Jury Duty on this one! Not Guilty!

Hunting in front of someone's home without asking permission is just wrong. Even if it's City property.

I don't agree at all. It is legal and as long as you are not making a mess or bothering anyone i go for it. There is absolutely nobody to ask permission from to hunt public property.

I see you got three likes and I respect their views and yours. However I will keep mine. I have plenty of experience hunting curb strips.

Was

Hunting with Park Hunter, was harassed by a old man in Baltimore co, he said he was calling the cops, i said go ahead, its not on your property, Park Hunter was on the edge , he said lets just move on to another spot, i said ok , well we hunted a few blocks up the road, a cop came, and talked to us, than he left to tell the old man it was legal , and don't give them guys - a hard time next time , it wasn't his property, this nut took pictures of our vehicle tags and all, what a jerk , every time i talk to Park hunter, i say, let's hunt the side walk strips by the old mans house again :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

.... he said lets just move on to another spot, i said ok , well we hunted a few blocks up the road, a cop came, and talked to us, than he left to tell the old man it was legal , ....

This is exactly why I do 90% of md'ing at night nowadays. NOT because I think I'm doing anything wrong, but ONLY because I've learned that .... in this hobby which has ... uh ... connotations, that you are NOT going to please every last person on earth. Sometimes in this life you just avoid spitting in people's holy water. Instead of trying to convince them "the water isn't really holy"

Tom

Your kidding, put me in your will, as your asking for it, shot , robbed either, by a robber, or cop that thinks you might have a weapon instead of a detector, i do the beach at night, but not side walk strips :shock::gunbandanna::gunbandanna::gunbandanna::gunbandanna:

Your kidding, put me in your will, as your asking for it, shot , robbed either, by a robber, or cop that thinks you might have a weapon instead of a detector, i do the beach at night, but not side walk strips :shock::gunbandanna::gunbandanna::gunbandanna::gunbandanna:

You have to be kidding. I think Tom has the smarts to detect only in safe neighborhoods. A cop shooting? I highly doubt it. Somebody watches too much drama.

Eh personally I never hunt curb strips. I prefer the 'out of site, out of mind' approach. Abandoned properties and old parks are very peaceful with no one around. Actually if I saw someone hunting the strip in front my of my house I would be upset. Technically and legally it's not my lawn but I mow the darn thing. :wow:

I have had some good finds from curb strips. Many years back(late 80's) I was hunting one and a lady from the next block came up to me complaining. I told her that curb strips were city property. . She told me that she was going to call the mayor. . I told her to call if she wants I worked for the mayor, as a fireman and I had permission to hunt city property. I never hear anything else about..

ehe! he! he! he! ohhhh!..my goddd!
WHAT is that incorrigible man doing?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

This is exactly why I do 90% of md'ing at night nowadays. NOT because I think I'm doing anything wrong, but ONLY because I've learned that .... in this hobby which has ... uh ... connotations, that you are NOT going to please every last person on earth. Sometimes in this life you just avoid spitting in people's holy water. Instead of trying to convince them "the water isn't really holy"

excellent post "pastor tom!"..nuthin' to see here
folks,just move along!..thankyou!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I'd advise caution when detecting those curb strips in front of occupied houses without permission. It varies from town to town, but what I've seen is more often than not the city owns the curb or r.o.w. (right of way) strip. So that would make detecting them without permission legal assuming the town has no law specifically banning metal detecting.

However, a significant percentage of residents do consider that little area theirs since they mow and maintain it. Many will be curious what you are doing and most won't care. But do it for any extended period of time and you will inevitably find those few who will care and either confront you with suspicion/anger or call the police. Be prepared for that scenario if you are going to detect those strips without homeowner permission.

A better way I've found for r.o.w. strips is to ask permission from the homeowner behind them. It's the easiest permission to get, and it lessens the chance of someone coming out with gun in hand because they saw someone ducking down by their car. That can and did happen to me although it wasn't as threatening as it sounds. Make a good impression and that strip often becomes an open door...to the yard.

Back
Top Bottom