Wheat Pennies? So What?

I love digging Wheat Cents. They haven't been made since '58. I found over fifty last year. Most from one section of an old park. It's also a good indication that silver should be in the same area. It shows you how the copper penny holds up compared to the zinc ones put out today. It may be cheaper to make them out of zinc, but the copper pennies will still be around a hundred years from now. Try putting a zinc one in the ground for that long.

I think wheats are excellent finds!!Can't wait to get my first one!
I have not checked lately-(most recent black book), but I think there are at least 10 or 11 wheaties out there that have value of 100.00 or greater in ex fine condition! That's not a bad mark up on a penny! D

I grew up with wheat pennies, so I like to find them. I've got several thousand stored in jars that may end up going to my kids after I'm gone. Other than one 1914 D, never made a killing off of them........

Dusty

Say Dusty, when your kids get those wheaties after you pass, will they be burying those fruit jars in their back yards, or using them to buy gas at the local station? :lol::lol:

PS: let me know where they live if they plan on burying em! :whistle:

If I scan it, and find a good solid signal, I am going to dig it.
Wheat pennies are not common in the newer areas I tend to dig, so it is fun to find them anytime.

Just to show you something, if you were hunting with me and you got a signal on this object, you would not have dug it because it came in copper.
I dug it and I am very happy I did!

Attachments

• copper.jpg
    copper.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 300
I prefer finding the wheat pennies over those crusty zincolns. They hold up better and look nostalgic. When I hunted a school yesterday I was finding mostly zincolns and getting tired of it and moved to the other end of the property to find something else. The first signal I got appeared to be another penny but was 3 down so I dug it anyway. Turned out to be a silver ring with a ruby in the middle. I dig all pennies.

After a day of canslaw, and nondescript twisted metal scraps and pulltabs, digging a wheat is like striking gold, besides I love digging all coins with the exception of a zincoln, those things always seem to remind me of the state our economy is in, corroded and crumbling....:cool:

I found a 1916d and a 1930d wheatie last night and I am happy! might not be a big deal, but I enjoy digging them.

I'll admit. They are only indicators for me. I'll dig a few of them to know I'm in the right spot, but after that I often skip over them looking for the silver nearby.
beef, I know you hate to hear this, but you may very well be missing silver doing what your doing. I know you use an etrac just as I do. And as much as I DETEST wheat pennies myself, I dig em all....last 4 barber dimes I dug all came in at 12-42, 12-43

right in wheat range on etrac, maybe they were a little wore, maybe they depth? who knows? yesterday I had a solid 12-41 at 6" I expected a wheat, but nope it was a worn merc dime.....you just can't skip them wheat signals

2 weeks ago, the 1865 2 cent piece was..yep you guessed it 12-41, another wheat signal. :lol:

trust ne, I hate wheats, I hate cleaning them as well. Here is why I hate em, they are worth like 5 cents, not that I sell my finds, but hey 5 cents....wow

and I have dug 1350+ wheats and have NOT found a single key or semi key date yet.

Now on indians I have dug right at 200 of them and I have 17-20 that are 1860's and 1870's several semi keys....make any sense at all????

and one last thing I HATE 1944 wheats, I find em everywhere!!!!!! :mad:

Say Dusty, when your kids get those wheaties after you pass, will they be burying those fruit jars in their back yards, or using them to buy gas at the local station? :lol::lol:

PS: let me know where they live if they plan on burying em! :whistle:

Goodness knows......my son is in a Texas prison in Woodville until between 2025 and 2045.....my daughter is married to an Air Force guy who's job (intel) requires overseas tours every few years. I keep lots of pictures around to remember what they all look like!!!!!:lol::lol:

Dusty

I love to recover any coin older then I am. They are a connection to a better time. I find the design of most pre clad coins to be more artistic and interesting and the wheat ear penny is no exception. I have found a few in quite good condition and some in pretty bad condition but I like finding them either way. I am not concerned with what they are or are not worth. To the clerk at the local supermarket that 1914 D is worth 1 cent.

Hunt Happy!
Plug Martian

I agree! HH!

I didn't get excited about Wheats either, until I saw what a 1909S goes for. As someone said, if you don't want them, I'll be happy to take them off you r hands.
:D

HH

I didn't get excited about Wheats either, until I saw what a 1909S goes for. As someone said, if you don't want them, I'll be happy to take them off you r hands.
:D

HH

the day I find a key date wheat I might change my mind, until then....nope.:lol:

beef, I know you hate to hear this, but you may very well be missing silver doing what your doing. I know you use an etrac just as I do. And as much as I DETEST wheat pennies myself, I dig em all....last 4 barber dimes I dug all came in at 12-42, 12-43

right in wheat range on etrac, maybe they were a little wore, maybe they depth? who knows? yesterday I had a solid 12-41 at 6" I expected a wheat, but nope it was a worn merc dime.....you just can't skip them wheat signals

2 weeks ago, the 1865 2 cent piece was..yep you guessed it 12-41, another wheat signal. :lol:

trust ne, I hate wheats, I hate cleaning them as well. Here is why I hate em, they are worth like 5 cents, not that I sell my finds, but hey 5 cents....wow

and I have dug 1350+ wheats and have NOT found a single key or semi key date yet.

Now on indians I have dug right at 200 of them and I have 17-20 that are 1860's and 1870's several semi keys....make any sense at all????

and one last thing I HATE 1944 wheats, I find em everywhere!!!!!! :mad:

I second this Goes! The only seated I dug sounded just like a wheat at 12-41 and I've dug other barbers that were worn and came in right there as well. To me its usually worn silver, but silver.

NebTrac

Back
Top Bottom