Went the beach, ordered more gear

shinythings

Went to the beach for a few hours hunt with my new excalibur. Right off the bat I found a penny... then about 9 tent stakes, a nickel, screws, wire, balled foil, 5 bottle caps, and two pull tabs.

Came home and boy was my arm and shoulder sore. Quickly ordered pluggers 4 piece CF rod, hip mount and knob guard :) Even my legs were kinda rubbery... I guess walking in the sand a mile or so I got some exercise....

No big find, but I learned a lot... I hunted in pin point mostly and then switched to disc 1 to see what it sounded like. Over Xmas I'll be hunting Jensen Beach, Stuart Beach and maybe Bath Tub Beach.

Thanks :lol: you reminded me of the pain I think we all had to go through :lol:

Using the stock Excal shaft on the wet and dry is a pain alright. If you're new to swinging an MD even with a straight shaft and hip mount you're still going to feel muscles you never knew existed :lol: takes awhile to build up to where you can hunt all day with a large coil without too much discomfort. Shortening the shaft a notch to start off with will help, then when your new found muscles have had a chance to get into the swing extend the shaft to give you more coverage.

When you can hunt for longer covering more ground you'll pick up more targets then you'll have to work on your digging arm and more pain :lol:

It's amazing what you'll go through just to see gold and silver :yes:

I still feel it in my legs, knees and back when dirt hunting just don't do enough of it to get in condition for long dirt hunts.

Good luck with the Excal it's a great machine :yes:

That's a good hunt and yes all of us feel the pain even those of us that hunt often. The Excal is a great machine. You may want to try a sling. There are many on the market but a combat AR sling works best for me. Good hunting.

That's a good hunt and yes all of us feel the pain even those of us that hunt often. The Excal is a great machine. You may want to try a sling. There are many on the market but a combat AR sling works best for me. Good hunting.

I was looking at slings!!! My buddy mentioned one for the AR.... I've got the plugger coming and the hip mount... if i need a sling after that ill get one for sure.

I'm trying to find a good finds pouch now.. mesh that has a loop for a belt... anyone have a suggestion?

Keep practicing. The tent stakes are the easy one to learn how to not dig. Also you are correct in running in pinpoint and switching to disc. Where I hunt pinpoint hits up to 3" deeper. I used to backmount my controls for years. Now I run a plugger one piece composite behind the elbow with a OBN remote pinpoint toggle. The stock pinpoint knob just always turn it lightly. It can break over time. I made a lexan knob guard I run on mine. Volume knob I lost years ago. But I never adjust the volume. Mine is also equipped with a CTX headphone plug mod.

Attachments

• SAM_2682.jpg
    SAM_2682.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 424
Keep practicing. The tent stakes are the easy one to learn how to not dig. Also you are correct in running in pinpoint and switching to disc. Where I hunt pinpoint hits up to 3" deeper. I used to backmount my controls for years. Now I run a plugger one piece composite behind the elbow with a OBN remote pinpoint toggle. The stock pinpoint knob just always turn it lightly. It can break over time. I made a lexan knob guard I run on mine. Volume knob I lost years ago. But I never adjust the volume. Mine is also equipped with a CTX headphone plug mod.

I think I have the tent stakes figured out, but the back of my mind kept saying to myself...."what if its not a tent stake and you over look it"... lol... so I dug everything....

I got the plugger 4 piece... should be here soon... looking forward to it... I also got his waist mount and the knob guard....The four piece you can mount with controls in the back like you mention or I can put it on my waist... I figure I now have options and can figure out what I like. I was considering the pinpoint toggle...

I was considering the pinpoint toggle...

It will spoil you:lol: I used to run mine backmount before I got the remote pinpoint. I drag my scoop by a rope in my left hand. On your back the pinpoint knob was the first knob by your fingers and easy to reach while still dragging a scoop. No need to reach forward to your waist. And yes we are all built different. Dragging my scoop works like a power pole cable anchor so it keeps my back from hurting. Coil in front, scoop at the back. If I couldn't drag my scoop my back would kill me:lol:

If you are a dry sand hunter at all you may want to check out the balanced shaft.
http://rodsbyplugger.com/shafts/2-minelab-39-alum-balanced-shaft.html
(not necessarily in aluminum…)
This rod balances the brains of your excal very nicely… though its rather tall and sometimes difficult to fit in the trunk of your car (I collapse mine for the drive).

This rod saves me and is my go-to rod when I dry hunt or don't plan to dive/swim but grid the wave line on the beaches.

The brains extend above your elbow up towards your shoulder and can take a bit to get used to, but the balancing of the machine against the coil makes swinging way easier.

I have this shaft mounted onto my 10" excal
and the over/under shaft mounted onto my 8"

...did I mention you'll be getting a 2nd machine soon?:D

...And once the 1-year warranty is up you'll probably want to install Joe's pinpoint toggle… such a great device!

...and probably install GG amphibian headphones at the same time.

Well… start with changing out that rod! The rest will come with time!:yes:

What kind of scoop are you using?

If you are a dry sand hunter at all you may want to check out the balanced shaft.
http://rodsbyplugger.com/shafts/2-minelab-39-alum-balanced-shaft.html
(not necessarily in aluminum…)
This rod balances the brains of your excal very nicely… though its rather tall and sometimes difficult to fit in the trunk of your car (I collapse mine for the drive).

This rod saves me and is my go-to rod when I dry hunt or don't plan to dive/swim but grid the wave line on the beaches.

The brains extend above your elbow up towards your shoulder and can take a bit to get used to, but the balancing of the machine against the coil makes swinging way easier.

I have this shaft mounted onto my 10" excal
and the over/under shaft mounted onto my 8"

...did I mention you'll be getting a 2nd machine soon?:D

...And once the 1-year warranty is up you'll probably want to install Joe's pinpoint toggle… such a great device!

...and probably install GG amphibian headphones at the same time.

Well… start with changing out that rod! The rest will come with time!:yes:

What kind of scoop are you using?

I ordered pluggers 4 piece carbon fiber which gives me the option to mount the controls normal, on the waist, behind the elbow... whatever I want...

My excalibur is used, so I can really do whatever I want to it... For the pinpoint and the amphibians, where do you get those done at?

I am using a 720 stealth scoop... I made two mistakes with that purchase... I should have purchased the ubolt and I have the ash handle... I should have done the ubolt and a CF handle... I drag it behind me as well... However this weekend, I'm bringing the kid with me to the beach and she wants to dig... so she'll carry the scoop... I'll detect and she can do the digging... we've been doing this in parks so that she can learn... we got her a detector for xmas but she doesn't know yet...

I've been reading a book about how to read the beach so I can go find some gold... hoping to get out this weekend but it will have to be on the beach and not in the water because the surf is going to be 8 - 9 foot...

I do already have a 2nd machine, I have an AT Pro that I use on land... havent thought about using the excal inland yet.

My excalibur is used, so I can really do whatever I want to it... For the pinpoint and the amphibians, where do you get those done at?

I do already have a 2nd machine, I have an AT Pro that I use on land... havent thought about using the excal inland yet.

I did the mod's myself. You can check out Joe Beechnut videos on YouTube, or PM him here. Sometimes he has kits he sells that reduce the job to one snip and one solder. Its a scary thing to take your machine apart but his videos are really great and thorough. I've done it 3 times now :shock: He takes you through the whole process step by step along with shopping lists.
I think I read that Barb (Kapidr) sends hers to Kellyco for the mods and upgrades the coil too.

I had an AT Pro as my first machine. Its was a terrible machine in the salt water… so I returned it.
Now I want one again for land hunting. :laughing:
You have a great combo of machines! Good Luck!

I did the mod's myself. You can check out Joe Beechnut videos on YouTube, or PM him here. Sometimes he has kits he sells that reduce the job to one snip and one solder. Its a scary thing to take your machine apart but his videos are really great and thorough. I've done it 3 times now :shock: He takes you through the whole process step by step along with shopping lists.
I think I read that Barb (Kapidr) sends hers to Kellyco for the mods and upgrades the coil too.

I had an AT Pro as my first machine. Its was a terrible machine in the salt water… so I returned it.
Now I want one again for land hunting. :laughing:
You have a great combo of machines! Good Luck!

I saw some of his videos... I'm not sure i'm ready to take it a part... lol I think Kellyco does it too...

I like my AT Pro... I haven't found anything awesome yet, but its a fun detector to use.

Went to the beach for a few hours hunt with my new excalibur. Right off the bat I found a penny... then about 9 tent stakes, a nickel, screws, wire, balled foil, 5 bottle caps, and two pull tabs.

Came home and boy was my arm and shoulder sore. Quickly ordered pluggers 4 piece CF rod, hip mount and knob guard :) Even my legs were kinda rubbery... I guess walking in the sand a mile or so I got some exercise....

No big find, but I learned a lot... I hunted in pin point mostly and then switched to disc 1 to see what it sounded like. Over Xmas I'll be hunting Jensen Beach, Stuart Beach and maybe Bath Tub Beach.

Just so your aware, the hip mount causes shorts in the cabling from constant flexing where it goes in the control module, Minelab repair center constantly gets then in for repair and they are still mounted on the waist mount with shorts in coil and headphone cables....

I highly recommend you do not use one...Keep it on the straight shaft...... If it is still too heavy for you get a harness....

I used to hunt in PP mode and switch over to descrim. but recently switched
to straight descrim and I'm finding more good targets with no wear and tear on my switches HH

I used to hunt in PP mode and switch over to descrim. but recently switched
to straight descrim and I'm finding more good targets with no wear and tear on my switches HH

That is why some of us use the remote pinpoint mod. I hunt in all metal and switch to desc to check targets, remote pp works off of remote switch on handle of straight shaft. I find targets in pinpoint that when I switch to desc it doesn't see till I remove a couple scoops of sand...

So I'm hearing I wasted money on the hip mount.... kinda stinks because i like it! Not sure why the headphone wire would short, it seems pretty straight from the control to my ears... to the coil I get...

Just so your aware, the hip mount causes shorts in the cabling from constant flexing where it goes in the control module, Minelab repair center constantly gets then in for repair and they are still mounted on the waist mount with shorts in coil and headphone cables....

I highly recommend you do not use one...Keep it on the straight shaft...... If it is still too heavy for you get a harness....

Tonight I put the controls on the extension behind my elbow to try it out on my new plugger rod. Nicer than I thought, but getting to that pinpoint switch is nearly impossible. guess I'll be looking into that mod for a toggle switch.

Off to hunt the beach tomorrow with the new rod and such if the weather holds out...

I saw some of his videos... I'm not sure i'm ready to take it a part... lol I think Kellyco does it too...

I like my AT Pro... I haven't found anything awesome yet, but its a fun detector to use.

DIY or Kellyco… Either way… its a great mod! I highly recommend it!

Good Luck this weekend!

DIY or Kellyco… Either way… its a great mod! I highly recommend it!

Good Luck this weekend!

Got two hours in before my kid lost interest... it was pretty cool and windy out and the seas were 8 - 9 foot but not bad for a 10 year old to be out that long. We found 6 tent stakes, coke can, 2 bottle caps and $.37

I think I'm figuring out how to determine if its a tent stake or not, but I'm still digging everything :)

I decided not to wear the hip mount based on the above and I put the controls behind my elbow and it worked really well. Not nearly as sore as last week. I put velcro on the cord to the headsets and attached it to the knob guard so that I don't pull on that.

Back
Top Bottom