Diving... where? and when?

shinythings

OK so I got an Excal II now... Ordered CF rod etc... So now I'm trying to figure out when I might take this diving. Obviously on a normal recreational dive to reefs and such, I wouldn't expect to find much. Where are folks diving? Are you staying shallow and mainly going to places where people congregate? I'm in Florida so lake diving is really out for me... I don't want to come up on a snake or a gator and I dont care to dive in areas of little viz. I'm thinking that maybe just doing some waist deep snorkeling with it or something.

Thoughts? I'm in Central Florida but willing to travel... Thinking of heading down to the Lauderdale and Miami area for some hunting...

OK so I got an Excal II now... Ordered CF rod etc... So now I'm trying to figure out when I might take this diving. Obviously on a normal recreational dive to reefs and such, I wouldn't expect to find much. Where are folks diving? Are you staying shallow and mainly going to places where people congregate? I'm in Florida so lake diving is really out for me... I don't want to come up on a snake or a gator and I dont care to dive in areas of little viz. I'm thinking that maybe just doing some waist deep snorkeling with it or something.

Thoughts? I'm in Central Florida but willing to travel... Thinking of heading down to the Lauderdale and Miami area for some hunting...

Boning up on some Florida law, especially on the East Coast might do ya some good as well.....;)

Boning up on some Florida law, especially on the East Coast might do ya some good as well.....;)

So I know about the leased waters from Sebastian to Ft Pierce I think it is... Everything else I've read has been sketchy at best as to what I've been able to tell. Meaning wading in the water seems like a gray area...

Might want to check on some of the springs. Clear cool water , not much chance of bumping into reptiles. I dont know the rules when it comes to springs and snorkeling but Ive had a metal detector at itchetucknee springs in the big pool area and nobody said anything. A good thing about the cool water in springs.....fingers shrink and jewelry falls off :yes: I have not been there in many years though

Generally I think the main advantage with scuba detecting is being able to get into water deeper than the guys that hunt up to neck deep. So basically 6-10 feet of water at low tide and up to 15 feet of water at high tide. Any further out and I doubt you will find much.

Snorkeling seems to be a waste of time. In waist deep water you will cover more water and you arent looking for visible targets. Also you maintain better coil control and can keep it closer/on the bottom. You will just miss to many targets. Some do use the snorkel equipment thou to get out just a bit farther than neck deep and fan for targets. Because of the the tide differences between summer and winter you might have an advantage with the scuba at say 8 to 12' in the deeper troughs we cant get to. What you might get if you have sharp eyes is a recently dropped chain we missed.... not much else.

Snorkeling seems to be a waste of time. In waist deep water you will cover more water and you arent looking for visible targets. Also you maintain better coil control and can keep it closer/on the bottom. You will just miss to many targets. Some do use the snorkel equipment thou to get out just a bit farther than neck deep and fan for targets. Because of the the tide differences between summer and winter you might have an advantage with the scuba at say 8 to 12' in the deeper troughs we cant get to. What you might get if you have sharp eyes is a recently dropped chain we missed.... not much else.

So thats what I was thinking... I went ahead and got a four piece rod that has the scuba over and under, but I doubt that part will get much use...

Back
Top Bottom