Getting back in. Best current coin detector?? Sponsor deals?

jl_usmc3

Elite Member
I've been out of it for awhile. Looking to get back in. Opinions on the best coin detector out there right now? Thanks!! Also deals? Propointer too.

Last edited:
There are a number of detectors that you could buy with that kind of budget. What is going to be your primary use? Garrett is coming out with the new Apex, supposedly next month. Of course, there is the Equinox that everyone on these forums like. Do your homework, make your purchase and don't look back. Happy hunting and welcome back!

If I had a grand to get back into this, I’d get a Fisher f70/75 or the Teknetics equivalent, and spend the rest left over on equipment like a good digger, pinpointer, earphones, and all the rest that comes with a day out in the sticks doing what we love.

There are a number of detectors that you could buy with that kind of budget. What is going to be your primary use? Garrett is coming out with the new Apex, supposedly next month. Of course, there is the Equinox that everyone on these forums like. Do your homework, make your purchase and don't look back. Happy hunting and welcome back!

Coin hunting mainly

I think the best coin machine ever made is the Etrac. Especially on deep silver coins. My Etrac has found MANY silver coins at so called "hunted out" parks. I don't consider a place hunted out anymore until I've gone over it several times with my Etrac.

Get a used one if that's what your budget allows.

Which is the best detector depends on who you ask. Depends on what you're looking to find, what you want to spend, and how often you're going to use the detector. There's a lot of good ones out there. As far as a sponsor's deal....they all have deals but I've gotten the best price and service with Quality Metal Detectors.

Coin hunting mainly

I LOVE my Simplex for coins. It's plenty deep and once you get used to the tones, you can eliminate a lot of the useless junk (pull tabs and bottle caps will still be your constant companion). With the extra money you save, you can buy a nice pinponter, digging tool and finds bag. Check out some YouTube videos on the machine. Good luck and happy hunting!

I think the best coin machine ever made is the Etrac. Especially on deep silver coins. My Etrac has found MANY silver coins at so called "hunted out" parks. I don't consider a place hunted out anymore until I've gone over it several times with my Etrac.

Get a used one if that's what your budget allows.

Etrac just makes digging old coins vs junk child's play..Its almost unfair to compare anything to it when it comes to just old deep coinshooting

How's it compare to the equinox 800?

On coins? My opinion is there's no comparison. Equinox 800 is a good multi purpose machine, good at alot of things.. But the equinox is not in the same league as a etrac when it comes to deep old coin hunting. You'll dig alot of junk and zincs with the equinox, not so with the etrac. If I were after just old coins and leaving the junk behind ,,, there's no substitute for the etrac in that department.

I’m going to have to agree on the eTrac theory. I’ve had an Explorer and CTX for 5 years and an eTrac for about a month. I also had an Equinox 800. HAD....it’s a very nice machine and good at a lot of things. But...if you’re ONLY targeting old coins, which generally translates to DEEP coins...you’ll want to dig selectively, and the ID system on the Minelab FBS machines allows this at a higher level than anything else out there, IMHO. In 5 years of FBS machines and 500+ silver coins later....and from places that have obviously been hunted before I even got there...there’s not much else to say. After 200+ hours on the Equinox I could not replicate this rate of success. Just my take on it, others have done well with the Equinox, so take it for what it is or isn’t worth.

For a coin shooting machine on a $1000 budget I’d get an Etrac. Skipping over junk and sniping deep silver with FBS is almost like cheating. Or as some would say, like shooting fish in a barrel. The 2D Fe Co target ID is extremely accurate and the tones are unmistakable. You may even find a nice used CTX 3030 in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a coin shooting machine on a $1000 budget I’d get an Etrac. Skipping over junk and sniping deep silver with FBS is almost like cheating. Or as some would say, like shooting fish in a barrel. The 2D Fe Co target ID is extremely accurate and the tones are unmistakable. You may even find a nice used CTX 3030 in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Etrac better than the Safari for silver coin shooting?

As said above, the Etrac's depth and target ID is amazing. If you don't want to dig junk, you pretty much don't have to. It's the machine of choice when hunting nice yards and parks. You usually know if you are over a coin or trash, so you're not digging a lot of unnecessary holes.

And the Etrac's tones are great. Many users know that "silver sound" the Etrac makes. It's a tone that STOPS you in your tracks cause you know it's very likely silver is under the coil.

I hunt with 2 guys that use Nox 800's. We do a lot of side by side comparisons before digging. My Etrac sometimes hits good targets their machine won't see at all, or shows as junk. Not sure why, and they try different settings. Maybe it's the soil. I once hit a deep spill of 6-7 wheats that my friends Nox wouldn't even make a peep on. He was disapointed to say the least.
My silver count is always 3-4 times higher than theirs. They both bought Etracs.

Edit: I should say that I haven't used a CTX 3030 and it may be better than the Etrac for certain types of hunting (water etc.), but I doubt it's better on coins. But FBS is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
The telephone is your friend when it comes to deals on metal detectors. Manufacturers have a minimum advertised price that dealers Must adhere to in advertising a machine for sale. But they have leeway as to what price they sell at.

Back
Top Bottom