Hard packed gravel driveway digging tool?

TCosbyJr

Forum Supporter
Finishing up my custom pouches/belt setup and I'm looking for the right last tool to add. Many sites I hunt have either a gravel pull off to park near the street, a parking lot itself made of gravel, or gravel driveway leading to the area.

The problem is the gravel is typically nearly concrete on how well/hard it is packed, and a pick axe is out of the question. It is all packed very hard from use over the many years, and small gravel size.

In the past I used a boot knife and at best was able to slowly break 1/4" chunks at a time deep (besides wedging the rocks loose) or doing little more than scrapping. After about 5 finds averaging 2" down, and about 10 minutes to dig each target I was done. My hands were red and sore for days afterwards for the wheats I recovered. There were many other good signals, and deeper ones too in the gravel.

I have no doubt those gravel areas are likely hiding some of the better finds, as no one has bothered to detect them, but the recovery is extremely slow going. Does anyone know of a tool that will dig better in such gravel conditions? Anyone else dig finds in gravel areas?

So far I also ruled out rock hammers due to the noise of using it (no to mention the weight). It looks like the best I have found is a screwdriver style pry bar, which has to be loads better than any knife or soil/root digging tool.

Screwdriver and a hammer. If you get a good pinpoint and a good guess at depth, pound the screwdriver a couple inches from the target and a couple inches deeper, smack it backwards and pop your coin.
Gravel parking lots are my go to spot when the ground is to dry to hunt without damage.

Screwdriver and a hammer. If you get a good pinpoint and a good guess at depth, pound the screwdriver a couple inches from the target and a couple inches deeper, smack it backwards and pop your coin.

No doubt the best method, perhaps a rubber mallet would help with the noise too. Most likely I'll keep my gravel tools put in the truck for the rare occasion.

Gravel parking lots are my go to spot when the ground is to dry to hunt without damage.

Glad to hear I'm in good company. Have you had much luck in the gravel lots?

Glad to hear I'm in good company. Have you had much luck in the gravel lots?

I find a lot of clad and a few very damaged silver rings. My best parking lot so far has been a state access to the river that gets heavy use by kayaks and canoes. I think it's because people are unloading their pockets before a float.

I find a lot of clad and a few very damaged silver rings. My best parking lot so far has been a state access to the river that gets heavy use by kayaks and canoes. I think it's because people are unloading their pockets before a float.

Nice, gives you something to hope for other than clad too. I really should find a nearby water hunting site, those seem to replenish much more than parks.

Funny you mention silver rings, I found one myself in a gravel parking lot at a old school closed down in the 70s (now a repurposed community center). That ring is nearly flattened and any stones/top it held are long gone.

Attachments

• 3finds-6-23-12.jpg
    3finds-6-23-12.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 425
Just to say I found a KG II 8" under a packed gravel driveway to a house. The site had been picked over probably at least 5 times before a got there. They didn't bother with the drive I'm sure because of the difficulty to dig through it. So well worth it if the signal justifies.

Oh damn, you just gave me an idea. I know a spot like that. Thank you sir!

I like a backhoe with a hammer stinger. Just break it out and pull it out of the way with the trackhoe. Well, the guys at Wal-Mart started complaining so I had to stop. Guess my parking lot hunting days are over.

Maybe wait for a good hard rain, or pour a couple of 5 gallon pails of water over the target area... use a gravel rake to loosen the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom