Reasons people say “no”

Nailfinder85

Old farmer owns 400 acres covered in old barns and foundations down the road from me. He said he doesn’t think anything is there. Nice old guy, we chatted a while, but I think there’s something there to find lol [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he said No?

Maybe he was just politely saying he didn’t want me on his property or perhaps he is the type that has some of his own treasures buried around[emoji2371]. He was nice and about 127 years old, I was not going to negotiate with him.

But the answer was a clear no lol, some days chicken some days feathers I guess

I think there are some nos from people who think they might someday want to detect or that a family member might want to detect it. Many people just like to keep private. I'm not letting anyone I don't know real well on my property for anything. It aint nobodies business what goes on in my dirt

I think there are some nos from people who think they might someday want to detect or that a family member might want to detect it. ...

Haha, boy have I heard that before ! They say that some day they'll get a detector, and thus don't want someone md'ing it before that. But you know full well they will never get around to getting a detector.

Also the song & dance of "No because of liability". Trust me: They could care less about "liability". The real reason is: They just don't want to be bothered.

It's not that they have any philosophical problems with metal detectors. But ... it's the psychology of the reason we all avoid solicitors of any type . Eg.: phone solicitors, door-to-door salesmen , junk mail that's selling something, etc... Even though it might be a GREAT PRODUCT, that does indeed "save you money", yet : The average person pays-no-attention, and simply doesn't want to be bothered with another thing to have to think about.

I think there are some nos from people who think they might someday want to detect or that a family member might want to detect it. Many people just like to keep private. I'm not letting anyone I don't know real well on my property for anything. It aint nobodies business what goes on in my dirt

and therein lies the problem! i would feel exactly the same way, and it's obvious that so many,many others also do as well! and you want to know why people eventually skip asking?..it's their land, and no is no, and for all the right reasons too!..

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Haha, boy have I heard that before ! They say that some day they'll get a detector, and thus don't want someone md'ing it before that. But you know full well they will never get around to getting a detector.

Also the song & dance of "No because of liability". Trust me: They could care less about "liability". The real reason is: They just don't want to be bothered.

It's not that they have any philosophical problems with metal detectors. But ... it's the psychology of the reason we all avoid solicitors of any type . Eg.: phone solicitors, door-to-door salesmen , junk mail that's selling something, etc... Even though it might be a GREAT PRODUCT, that does indeed "save you money", yet : The average person pays-no-attention, and simply doesn't want to be bothered with another thing to have to think about.

jeez! tom! how can anybody with your years in the hobby be so wrong about this!
it's a "huge liability" issue, and they don't want to get involved! i don't blame 'em c'mon tom you know that your statement is so much bull !!!!! people are "very concerned" about liability, and they would be "obtuse" NOT to be! living in cali, you should know all about the "!!!!" that can, and does go down out there! maybe all the "nitwits" dumping' on the sidewalks has got ya mind NOT right! it happens!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jeez! tom! how can anybody with your years in the hobby be so wrong about this!
it's a "huge liability" issue, and they don't want to get involved! ...

Ha, well ... I still say that the "liability" song & dance is merely a polite way to say "no". Here's why I feel this way :

I own a company. So I carry a $1,000,000 liability policy on-myself (for our business operations). And can have any person or entity immediately added on, and/or given a certificate evidencing insurance. With nothing but a cell-phone call, and have the proof of ins. in someone's hand instantly.

And I've had several occasions, over the years, where : When I hear the "liability" excuse, I have gleefully told them : "Not a problem, let me provide you with proof of insurance, to alleviate that concern".

But guess what ?? They STILL say "no". And then move on to some other reason :roll:

However, one time when I played this card, it did work. An old town demolition contractor let me on the site , right while they were working, once I'd had my agent issue his office a cert. So .... I can't say it's *always* a lame excuse on their end :p

Maybe he was just politely saying he didn’t want me on his property or perhaps he is the type that has some of his own treasures buried around[emoji2371]. He was nice and about 127 years old, I was not going to negotiate with him.

I bet you read him right. Pointing at liability is a nice way of saying "no" without saying "no". Blame it on the lawyers. It might be arguable sometimes, but I'm not going to waste some old fella's time. Besides, it's a lot more fun when the owner is excited about what I'm doing rather than merely tolerant.

Other than an outright "yes" I can deal with the "It's been hunted before" response. At least you can come back with a "Oh, I like a good challenge" without it it sounding like an argument.

I agree with you 100% Tom

I think it’s simply because people don’t trust strangers for the most part.

Yup, and sadly I can’t blame them really. I stayed to chat a few minutes in hopes of a change of mind but no luck.

^^^^
I think that is really at the heart of it. I’m not sure that there are more con artists than there used to be, but them calling / e-mailing constantly makes for a good reminder.

Some of it is probably liability, some of it is likely the fact that there is really no up-side for them.

With any kind of hunting (deer, mushroom, treasure), getting land permission where you want it is usually an up-hill slog.

^^^^

I think that is really at the heart of it. I’m not sure that there are more con artists than there used to be, but them calling / e-mailing constantly makes for a good reminder.

Some of it is probably liability, some of it is likely the fact that there is really no up-side for them.

With any kind of hunting (deer, mushroom, treasure), getting land permission where you want it is usually an up-hill slog.

Bingo, and I can’t say I blame them. I made a good friend last year during bow season by asking permission, the 1 “yes” makes the 100 “nos” worth it.

Yup... these days, with all the scammers, phone solicitors and other ne’re-do-wells out there hounding us from dawn to dusk, people are just in an automatic defensive mode and I can’t say as I blame them. Might be more or less this way in different parts of the country, but putting the shoe on the other foot, what would be YOUR response to a total stranger asking permission to dig on your land? Your odds of digging private property go way up once you’ve established more than a “stranger to property owner” relationship. My 2 cents worth anyway.

Yup... these days, with all the scammers, phone solicitors and other ne’re-do-wells out there hounding us from dawn to dusk, people are just in an automatic defensive mode and I can’t say as I blame them. ....

^ ^ ^ ^

One way to overcome this stigma, of appearing to be a solicitor of-some-sort, is to get some sort of "in". A "credential" that psychologically "breaks the ice".

For me, one tool I've found effective, is to be a museum worker/docent. Requires perhaps 6 hr. per month, where you man a desk, or sort folders, or lead tours, etc.... Once you get a museum badge and "credentials", then ... that's my introduction script, when talking to someone about their property. Eg.: "Hi, I work at such & such museum, and I'm doing research on the stage stop that was said to have been back on your back-40 here. blah blah".

Yup, fox guarding the hen house :)

A lot may be how they have been treated in the past. On our farm as a boy it was common to see cars parked next to our barn while the owners wenr hunting. (Firearms) My father used to allow strangers who asked to hunt but then it got to where they came without asking. Too lazy to step over a fence they cut it and our cattle got out. We had to pay a guy who penned them up clasiming a huge feed bill even thouh they had been gone for a few hours. They brought their friends with them and they brought theirs again withiout asking. It became dangerous while working in the fields and bullets hitting next to the tractor or around our house and barn because the people didn't know where anything was. My father finally put an end to it and posted NO HUNTING signs which were shot full of holes in a few days. After that he didn't trust people any longer and wouldn't let anyone on the land that he and my grandfather worked so haard for. i guess in a way I feel the same way. That's one of the reasons I never hunt places where you need permisson.

Back
Top Bottom