New With Questions

quicksilver

I recently (5 days ago) purchased a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, and it is easy to use and easy to read LCD screen. I have been digging at our local park and not finding anything more than lots of aluminum cans or scrap iron, and a few pennies.

I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I just need to be more patient. I would appreciate some tips, thanks!

If you're finding targets, I'ld say you're not doing anything wrong. It might be there is someone else with a detector beating you to the punch.

In the beginning

In the beginning as I am still new it is difficult to not get frustrated but even though I do not find anything good I am still happy with the hobby.

I mainly want to do it to get exercise and to get me out of the house.

It keeps my mind off of actually doing the walking.

My best day so far is 35 cents!!

QS - As to detectors, I dont know anything about your current one but do know that a whole lot of guys on the net are reporting great things with the ace 250 , in your price range.

As for finding things, As Don said - they have to be under the coil to find them. Best advice I can give is to go to a school or park play area (sand or chip bark) and dig almost everything till you get the hang of it. If you start selectively digging you may be missing the gold/silver. Good luck, Steve in so az

Thank-you guys, I dig ANYTHING I find, but I'm just not finding anything worthwhile, perhaps it's my area.

But I am looking into the Tesoro Silver uMax. I'm pretty sure it's a good product, but I would like some advice. The MD i currently own has an LCD screen and tells me if the metal is: Iron, AL Zn, Zn 5c, Coins. So all I do is sweep until I here a beep then I make the X and dig out a plug and find the metal. And re-plug the hole. I just never find anything good

P.S. it's pouring so hard.:p

If there is that much trash in your area then there is a good possibility you don't have much competition or if there is competition they are cherry picking. Try going to schools when they are out or parks and hit the swings/playground equipment. This area usually has a lot less trash and greater possibility for change. This is also a good place to see if you have other detectorists in the area because if these places are empty then they are out there. Don't be discouraged everyone has bad days and everyone dugs piles of trash when learning. I'm still learning and still digging lots of trash, but i'm not digging anywhere near the trash i was when i first started this hobby. If you do find yourself being discouraged and not having fun stop for the day or turn your disc up so that the majority of what you find will be coins. Bottom line is to have fun. Gl and HH

Thank-you guys, I dig ANYTHING I find, but I'm just not finding anything worthwhile, perhaps it's my area.

But I am looking into the Tesoro Silver uMax. I'm pretty sure it's a good product, but I would like some advice. The MD i currently own has an LCD screen and tells me if the metal is: Iron, AL Zn, Zn 5c, Coins. So all I do is sweep until I here a beep then I make the X and dig out a plug and find the metal. And re-plug the hole. I just never find anything good

P.S. it's pouring so hard.:p

I have a Silver uMax and I have used it quite a bit and found alot of coins with it. Turn up the discrimination all the way and swing like a wild banshee! If there is a dime or quarter anywhere nearby you will find it. Put the discrimination just under a nickel and you will dig much more trash but you will also still pick up a lot of jewelry too. But if you like to see a display before you dig then I would say the Garrett Ace 250 is best bet in your price range. Forget everything I just said if you can spend a bit more for the Tesoro Cibola...

I have a Prizm II, almost the same price range, and found that is is a great machine. I have made some awesome finds with this MD. I also found lots of trash in the beginning, and still do, its part of the learning curve. I believe that you could own a high end detector but if you don't know your machine, and until you learn what it's talking about the better finds won't come. I have to say a lot of my learning was at the woodchips and in the sand. Don't get discouraged just get out there and swing til you can't swing no more. It was exhausting in the beginning for me, but I had shoulder surgery, so it was really hard for me. It was great exercise for me and helped alot with ROM+Range of Motion. Anyway, GOOD LUCK and HAPPY HUNTING!!!!

HaveFaith;) :yes:

I started with an Ace 250 and it is a great machine. I see on ebay that the price for a used one is dropping. Tesoro does not make a bad detector, any model would be great for you. If you want a display the Ace 250 is probably the best for the money.

Back
Top Bottom