Hello,, I'm new to this great hobby..

BazookaBlow

Hey everyone?

I?m new to this site and to the hobby. My 10 year old son has a friend that had an MD, so he wanted one for his birthday. It was Monday. I did a lot of research on what medal detector to get for him, as I knew nothing about them. That?s how I found this site. I ended up getting him the Bounty Hunter IV because it was in the price range that I wanted to spend on that one gift.

I took him out Monday and Tuesday. A lot of the stuff we found was junk to me, but everything we find has been treasure to him. Anyway, this has made me want one for myself now. I think I have become addicted to this hobby!

Let me give you guys a little history on the places that we have searched: My Aunt lives in a small community in North Texas that was very big in the early 1900?s. They had two stores, a bank, two gins, two churches, a school, a barber shop, a grave yard, a lumber yard, and a train station. Trains did and still do go through the middle of this small town. This was a big farm community.

Now, the only structures that still stand are: The old general store, the bank, one of the gins, and one of the churches. The church is the only one still being used today.

I took him to the old school site first. That?s where we found the old stove door, and this hinge. They were both down about 5?. We only spent about an hour there. Still a lot more to search there.

We went to the church and found all of these coins. They were all within about 10 feet of each other. I don?t know anything about them so, if anyone could help me out on them, that would be great. I got tired of digging yesterday, so we still have a lot to search there.

We then started searching my Aunts land. My grandfather built the house in 1902 on 5 acres. We found the rest of the stuff there, and haven?t even begun to scratch the surface of that property.

Thanks for reading my long post. I hope everyone enjoyed the history lesson.:lol:

pic1.jpg

100_0301.jpg

100_0299.jpg

100_0298.jpg

100_0296.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have your own personal silver mine! Anyone on here would kill to have that kind of territory!

Welcome to the forum. Your finds a really Great and the place your are MDing is a Paradise for all MDrist.

Great finds! I have the Tracker IV as well and I love it. Do you think you'll get yourself one as well, or maybe something nicer?

dates?

I wish those were better pics, looks like your close for paying for your detector. Can you post dates, mint marks. thanks

various places on different coins. look for a "D" or an "s" some may be by the date and some may be on back. Just dates are good for now. cant see pics real well

After doing some looking around online, I found out what the coins were. I still don?t know what the marks mean, or what they could be worth.

1874 Liberty Seated Half Dollar: Cant find a mark on it.
1921 U.S. Morgan Dollar: Cant find a mark on it
1922 Peace Dollar: There is an S on it.
1937 Buffalo Nickel: Has a D on it.
1935 Buffalo Nickel: Has a D on it.
1943 Mercury Head Dime: Looks like a D on it.
1942 Mercury Head Dime: Has an S on it.
1942 Mercury Head Dime: Has an S on it.
1910 Liberty Head 5 Cent: Has a big V on the back.

Letters are mint marks except for the V
D-Denver
S-San Francisco
O-New Orleans
P-Philly
No mint mark if I remember right also ment Philly

Value depends on condition,how many was minted,or how the market for the coin is. Most depends on what the buyer is willing to pay

Really great finds there BazookaBlow. And having your son along to share it with Even greater.
Now give your son his birthday present back and get your own.LOL

Sounds like your off to a good start. I also have a BH. tracker-4 that I have had for about 3 yrs. Its been a good machine for me so far. It also sounds like your in a prime hunting area that will keep you busy for a long time. Always remember to have a good time,
HH, Wes.

Finding Coin Value

Go to the Professional Coin Grades service website. The address for the coin value page is

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/

Pretty much every US coin is there. If you have any questions message me. I am new to MD'ing but not numistics. I have numerous books on foreign and US coins. Also, I have employees (colleagues actually) in my auction company who are experts in various fields of coins, including foreign, shipwreck, and oddballs.

Hope this helps, Paul

Last edited:
Nice post, great history lesson. Your son done a great job - now to get you your own detector - the most important thing is to tell us all how much you want to spend & if you want a plain jane get er done kinda machine or one that has all the bells and whistles. If you are looking for a plain jane deep seeking light & well made easy to use with a lifetime warranty detector I would strongly suggest looking into a Tesoro machine. If you are looking into a good machine with the bells and whistles you might want to check out the White's detectors. The best place to start is to give Tony (a sponsor here on the forum) a call or email about what you are wanting to spend and what you like in a detector, he will get you set up & will take very good care of you. Steve.

P.S. Don't take this in the wrong way, but I don't think I could ever detect at a church. It would be like detecting a cemetery to me, call me old fashioned but it just don't seem right. There are just too many other places to hunt.

I would never want to search another church, but this one has been in my family since it was built. We are the ones that take care of it. I?m actually the one that mows it, fixes anything that brakes, and my aunt takes care of everything else there. If it wasn?t for us the church would be torn down. That?s the only reason I searched there. ;)

My dad was telling me that we should search the old cemetery, but I would never do anything like that! :shock:

I would never want to search another church, but this one has been in my family since it was built. We are the ones that take care of it. I’m actually the one that mows it, fixes anything that brakes, and my aunt takes care of everything else there. If it wasn’t for us the church would be torn down. That’s the only reason I searched there. ;)

My dad was telling me that we should search the old cemetery, but I would never do anything like that! :shock:

I guess I can give you a break since you are taking care of the church and that it would be gone if it wasn't for you. Remind your father that even though maybe you might not know anyone that is burried there - that they are someone's family. I sure wouldn't want anyone digging around where my Dad or my Grandparents are buried. Sorry to come down on you about this & it is not you I am targeting in at - it is because that for along time I have heard - boy I found this & I found that at this cemetary or that cemetary, It just upsets me to know that there are people "LOW' enough to dig where "OUR' people are laid to rest. Forgive the ranting it just hurts me. Steve.

Wow! Great start! :wow:
You're doing well to find so many great things this early on.
So, just send the address of where you're detecting and I'll come and help you out. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

RD :cool:

Back
Top Bottom