Beach sweepers

Beachscanner

In Memory Of
I wonder how much those sweepers actually pick up valuable targets? I'd like to follow the truck to see what happens to the load when carted off the beach. :D

beach sweepers

I wonder how much those sweepers actually pick up valuable targets? I'd like to follow the truck to see what happens to the load when carted off the beach. :D
I have often wondered the same thing , watched one in Cancun running the beach early while tide was out then dumped the load mostly sea weed way down the beach at the edge of their property. Was a company trip and wife wouldn't let me bring my detector. :laughing:

This subject has come up many times before. Those beach-cleaners don't pick up small ring & coin sized object. The rake-mechanisms only pick up bottles, cans, McDonalds bags, etc....

*HOWEVER*, there are different varying brands/models of beach cleaners. And one of them *IS* capable of picking up items as small a coins & rings . It has some sort of sieve/ screen system of sorting. And it's adjustable on the hole/screen sizes, such that the operator can set it to smaller versus larger.

And the smaller , more scrutinous you set the controls for, the slower it will go, and the more "drag" you put on the engines to drive it, etc.... And ..... no doubt, would end up picking up seashells, pebbles, and other stuff that is NOT trash. But I heard a funny story that operators of this particular machine, on a certain beach, would PURPOSEFULLY set it to that level, and PURPOSEFULLY work overtime off-the-clock on their own time.

Fortunately .... that particular brand of machine is not widely sold or used anywhere. And none of the beach cleaner machines work on the wet sand anyhow.

So the bottom line is: None of the beaches where you see those machines used, are any threat to us.

This subject has come up many times before. Those beach-cleaners don't pick up small ring & coin sized object. The rake-mechanisms only pick up bottles, cans, McDonalds bags, etc....

*HOWEVER*, there are different varying brands/models of beach cleaners. And one of them *IS* capable of picking up items as small a coins & rings . It has some sort of sieve/ screen system of sorting. And it's adjustable on the hole/screen sizes, such that the operator can set it to smaller versus larger.

And the smaller , more scrutinous you set the controls for, the slower it will go, and the more "drag" you put on the engines to drive it, etc.... And ..... no doubt, would end up picking up seashells, pebbles, and other stuff that is NOT trash. But I heard a funny story that operators of this particular machine, on a certain beach, would PURPOSEFULLY set it to that level, and PURPOSEFULLY work overtime off-the-clock on their own time.

Fortunately .... that particular brand of machine is not widely sold or used anywhere. And none of the beach cleaner machines work on the wet sand anyhow.

So the bottom line is: None of the beaches where you see those machines used, are any threat to us.

I think they might be using this kind in Hampton NH. I was wondering how much it missed so I hit a spot that was freshly raked near some stairs where I used to find clad and tons of pull tabs and trash. Now it's only small bits of foil, nothing bigger than about 1/4 inch. The only things I found this year that are pull tab sized and bigger in the dry sand were just under the surface. The only deeper targets were in wet sand but since I'm using an ATP there not that deep either.

You have to admit that if you ran one of those trucks you would put in some time to pick through it after work too. I know that's what I was thinking while I wasn't finding anything.

You have to admit that if you ran one of those trucks you would put in some time to pick through it after work too. I know that's what I was thinking while I wasn't finding anything.

The one particular beach I heard of, that had this type of sophisticated brand/model of beach cleaner, was in So. CA. And the md'r who was telling me about it, said that some other md'r had followed the beach cleaner machine back to where it's parked . Ie.: their public works hard gated area at the end of the beach. And had attempted to talk to the driver, or see where it dumps out it's debris, etc....

The driver was un-willing to talk. And quickly shut and locked the gates . And they don't let the general public see where or what it dumps, etc..... It became obvious that the drivers of this equipment were very protective of this turf.

But ... as I say, that model/type machine is only one of many. And very few beaches employ that type. The vast majority of beaches don't even have a cleaner machine in the first place. And if they do, it's the rake style, which would only catch a chain necklace, at best.

That is really interesting as I see them all the time on the beaches I hunt. Of course I have heard stories of MDr's following back and in fact finding items but never the driver himself fine tuning it to find for themselves. Pretty cool but most of the time they dont pick up small items as I have gone right behind them and gotten dozens of coins and such.

Back
Top Bottom