• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

River gun recommendations

Scooterjim

Elite Member
I'm looking for a small handgun that can go where I go. I need something that can take a river dunking without needing much cleanup afterward. My guns are lucky if they get wiped down with an oily rag.
I'm a small guy and want something that will fit in the small of my back without a huge bulge. I carried a Rossi 40 cal for years and it was a good size. I have looked at the walther ppk 380 and like the size and feel, but I'm wondering if a revolver would be easier to keep clean. I've been looking at the Taurus 38s. I like the Judge and the whole idea of a shotgun pistol for the occasional venomous snake in my yard , but I don't think I want something that heavy. I'm not worried about stopping bears, my main concern is dogs and meth-heads. I'm not stuck on any brand or caliber, but I'm thinking at least .380. I keep going back to the Judge, but I wonder if shotgun shells would be more apt to problems with water than a pistol cartridge?
I'm trying to stay as far below $500 as possible. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I suggest the .38 revolver. As you said, it's going to be much easier to clean, and keep that way. It's also a simpler mechanism, so will most likely work after a sandy river dunking. You can also get frangible rounds for the .38.

Roger

I suggest the .38 revolver. As you said, it's going to be much easier to clean, and keep that way. It's also a simpler mechanism, so will most likely work after a sandy river dunking. You can also get frangible rounds for the .38.

Roger

I would agree and there are a pretty wide selection of .38's and most gun shops usually have a nice supply of used at decent prices.

Roger

...The Charter Arms SS revolver in 38+P...This is what a friend of mine has...:cool:

I disagree as I find semis much easier to clean properly. But it sounds like you aren't going to clean it more than superficially anyway so its probably cheaper to go the inexpensive 38 special route.

Key word is Properly clean your firearm. From what you describe, there is no solution to your search. Everything on the market will corrode and eventually fail if you keep dunking it and not cleaning it properly. Get a waterproof case/container for whatever you decide because if you ever do need it, you don't want to be just hoping it still works.

The fine bits of silt in the water will gum up the mechanism of any firearm unless you completely disassemble it and clean it completely. If you are not going to thoroughly clean the gun then just keep it till it gums up and throw it in the trash. It is much cheaper to keep one clean than it is to replace it every few months. Take it from one who worked in the firearms industry for almost 14 years.

The fine bits of silt in the water will gum up the mechanism of any firearm unless you completely disassemble it and clean it completely. If you are not going to thoroughly clean the gun then just keep it till it gums up and throw it in the trash. It is much cheaper to keep one clean than it is to replace it every few months. Take it from one who worked in the firearms industry for almost 14 years.

How about if he keeps in inside a plastic Zip Lock baggie? That would work! The guy I know with the .38 does this, ...built himself a cool little holster out of parts off his old neoprene wetsuit even.....he can shoot right through the plastic baggie in an emergency...plus, no fingerprints! :laughing:

.38 S&W Air weight is my choice. Automatics are too hard to clean plus not as reliable when dirty, IMO. Shoulder rigs will keep it clean longer. Again, IMO.
Marvin
PS. I keep a Snake shot under the hammer and if I need it for a snake I can roll back the cylinder, otherwise it is ready for Animals to include Humans.:cool:

How bout a Glock 42. It's my everyday carry gun. Brand new less than $400. .380, light weight and accurate.

Attachments

• received_1465197046914633.jpg
    received_1465197046914633.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 378
I like the airweight as well....but as others have said, if it gets wet or sandy, clean it thoroughly....otherwise you' may be stuck with a very small club when the time comes that you NEED a firearm.

I disagree as I find semis much easier to clean properly. But it sounds like you aren't going to clean it more than superficially anyway so its probably cheaper to go the inexpensive 38 special route.

Key word is Properly clean your firearm. From what you describe, there is no solution to your search. Everything on the market will corrode and eventually fail if you keep dunking it and not cleaning it properly. Get a waterproof case/container for whatever you decide because if you ever do need it, you don't want to be just hoping it still works.

Well put! I concur!

I have to disagree with the revolver people. How often do you pull the lower frame to clean the trigger, hammer or pawl? I use black powder revolvers which clean with water and I have to heat the dry and spray oil after every cleaning if I don't want rust.

I'd go with a Glock, Smith M&P, or other plastic striker fire in stainless steel. Less that hides from you and easier to disassemble. Spray the action with WD40 then the carbon solvent of your choice and a Teflon based lube and you're good.

I'm a little bigger so the Smith Sigma in 9mm is my choice. Cheap, easy to clean up and goes bang every time I squeeze the trigger.

I like the S&W 38 Airweight with the shrouded hammer. Doesn't snag. No load under the hammer-won't fire if dropped. But I keep it clean.

it's a little more expensive, but I love the Beretta APX....just picked one up today in fact (bought it almost two weeks ago...damn special orders :) )

I got the full sized, but they have compacts as well.

Another excellent choice would be the Sig P320 or the HK VP9 (I was torn between the three...but the APX felt nicer in my hand...VP9 has a better trigger though)

Back
Top Bottom