• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What's the real value of silver coins

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Ok,so I've been thinking about this for a month now.Silver don't seem real expensive,and I'm looking to put some coins away for a youngster,looking to spend around $500 or so per year,maybe a $100 at a clip.Thought about graded coins but was advised I'd be Better off with common silver US coins.
So,What's the real going rate on barbers,quarters dimes halves,walking halves,Merc? Just common,but not slicks.I just don't know,ebay says this,the books say that,,what do you guys pay per coin or per dollar face value?

Here's what the dealer I buy from was buying common silver coins for based on today's spot. These are the prices for selling $1 face value of each of the denominations to them.

Dimes. $10.17
Quarters. $10.17
Halves. $10.22
Peace. $13.91
Morgans. $14.4
40% $3.99

Heres what they were selling $1 face value for:

Dimes. $11.39
Quarters. $11.39
Halves. $11.54
Peace. $17.60
Morgans. $18.10
40% $4.53

I have been buying since silver was below 18$ an ounce, have paid as much as 14$ for 1$ face value, bought mostly half dollars because they can carry premium over quarters and dimes but have a fair amount of quarters, and dimes. Have paid as low as 11$ face for halfs too this year. I think its a great way to save some dough for the future. More recently, been buying pre33 us gold, all pms are at a good buy price. I dont think I have heard a financial person say they dont like silver for the long term, 10+ years. Providentmetals.com and apmex.com are the best prices, and free shipping over 100$. Bought 40 walking halves from apmex for 240$, so 12$ per face dollar a few weeks ago, shortly after i bought they raised the premiums to about 13$ per face dollar as silver prices continue to drop. With the feds raising interest rates, this will continue to beat down the PM prices, which presents a good buying opportunity.
Also dont count out generic .999 silver rounds, I only buy 1oz rounds or 10oz bars, they are easier for dealers to resell and you will get closest to spot VS say a 100oz bar.
Also silver eagles are a good choice too, just make sure to store them in mint tubes so they dont lose any of there premium they carry to .999 rounds.

I tend to agree with LandOLincoln. Morgan, Peace dollars...Walkers, Barbers tend to carry numismatic premium and therefore will cost more than regular ‘junk’ silver. I’ve been buying/selling since about 1977, when I was a teen. Provident Metals and APMEX do carry the best prices online, and I find that even the local dealer/shows have a hard time beating their deals. My local dealer can’t even keep junk silver in stock.

You got great responses so far!...Heres something to balance..:laughing:

Whats the REAL value of silver coins? A conversion of paper to Metal......

For a guy only looking to convert $500 or so...find a guy local and do the deal face to face...even if you paid a $2 premium over spot, you are not talking a huge amount,..Its easy to buy silver coins..its another thing to attempt to sell them....

Last edited:
How about a 1715 Spanish fleet silver reale? Check the Daniel Sedgwick auction catalogue. If you can get some with a signed Certificate of Authentication by the original Real 8 Treasure salvors it adds to the value.

I have been buying the silver proof sets and some of the presidential coins from the U.S. Mint. I've bought a couple of the gold coins too. I think the gold coins have a better chance of the gold value exceeding the price I paid than the silvers will, but I'm not looking at it as an investment. The wife loves them and it makes Christmas shopping easy on me. I think they have a chance of holding their value, maybe gaining a little.

The ":Value" of coins fluctuates with the prices of precious metal. Stock market goes up PM goes down and vice versa.

Ultimately the actual value is what you are willing to pay or what you can get some to pay for the ones you have.

Otherwise they are just pretty pieces of metal.

The ":Value" of coins fluctuates with the prices of precious metal. Stock market goes up PM goes down and vice versa.

Ultimately the actual value is what you are willing to pay or what you can get some to pay for the ones you have.

Otherwise they are just pretty pieces of metal.

Thats about as honest and succinct a reply as you can get regarding the topic...still, a fellow should hold a few silver coins..for the weight and giggles if nothing else...Not many people alive today have ever fondled a Morgan silver dollar...the sensation alone is worth the effort....

Thats about as honest and succinct a reply as you can get regarding the topic...still, a fellow should hold a few silver coins..for the weight and giggles if nothing else...Not many people alive today have ever fondled a Morgan silver dollar...the sensation alone is worth the effort....

Exactly why I want more.lol

It all depends if you are looking at scrap value (you plan on hording silver) or collector value (you are looking for coins that could go up in value not based on metal content).
If you are going for the second category it would be worth buying already graded coins and holding for the long run. You could probably look up which coins are trending up in value in the current market. This will have nothing to do with precious metal prices.

Lots of good info here,definitely appreciate it..Not sure on the gold pieces,thought about maybe just getting one of those gold coins once a year,investing in metals is just a hard decision

Dimes. $10.17 .... should that be .. $1.17
Quarters. $10.17
Halves. $10.22
Peace. $13.91
Morgans. $14.4
40% $3.99

Dimes. $11.39 .... should that be .. $1.39
Quarters. $11.39
Halves. $11.54
Peace. $17.60
Morgans. $18.10
40% $4.53

https://www.coinstudy.com/

Dimes. $10.17 .... should that be .. $1.17
Quarters. $10.17
Halves. $10.22
Peace. $13.91
Morgans. $14.4
40% $3.99

Dimes. $11.39 .... should that be .. $1.39
Quarters. $11.39
Halves. $11.54
Peace. $17.60
Morgans. $18.10
40% $4.53

https://www.coinstudy.com/

Those prices are correct.... those are the prices for $1 face value for each denomination.

If you want the price for each individual coin you would divide the dime price by 10 (actually $1.017 and $1.139 respectively.)

You would divide the quarter price by 4, the half price by 2 etc.

You got great responses so far!...Heres something to balance..:laughing:

Whats the REAL value of silver coins? A conversion of paper to Metal......

For a guy only looking to convert $500 or so...find a guy local and do the deal face to face...even if you paid a $2 premium over spot, you are not talking a huge amount,..Its easy to buy silver coins..its another thing to attempt to sell them....
Actually. selling them is no problem, getting the right price IS !

Back
Top Bottom