Introducing a young boy to detection

Witsend

I would like to introduce my grandson to the hobby of detecting. I know absolutely nothing about instruments and need guidance in selecting a metal detector to purchase for him. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for asking

Witsend, how old is your grandson? or I should say how big. One thing about detecting is it can be fun and yet make you tired. Pay close attention to him and be sure he dosn't over do it. Always better to leave on a high note, say about a half hours' worth first time out rather then wait till either of you is tired. As far as what you will start him out with, you should contact one of the sponsors. They have toll free #s and a lot of experience in outfitting beginners....Good luck and welcome to the hobby....Gil in sunny Florida:cool:

Welcome! You've come to the right place! I am by no means an expert but I guess it depends a lot on your grandson's age and your budget. The Garrett Ace 150 and 250 are great detectors that are easy to learn. They are in the $150-$250 range.

He is 8 and loves hiking and exploring. I would guess that he is about 4' 6" tall. Do you think he is old enough and big enough to handle the equipment??

I think the shaft length relative to his height is what's going to be important. If I were you I'd go to the main page and look for the TC metal detecting logo at the top. If there's another banner up there refresh your browser a few times until it comes up. Zip Tony off an email and tell him what you're looking for. I'm sure he has a lot of experience outfitting smaller users.

Either the ACE 150 or 250 would be a great starter, nice and light and good enough to grow into. Most of the Tesoro's are very light and Tesoro doesn't make a bad machine. The prices run the range too. I seen many used Tesoros go for under $100.00 on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom