River gun recommendations

Warranties are only as good as the company offering them. Reread my first post on trips to the HP factory and how that turned out.

Or bet your life on a questionable brand. Or worse yet, bet your family's life because that's what youre doing. Almost as bad as not training with your carry weapon regularly/effectively. Reality is, it aint Hollywood out there.

Oh I don’t carry a Hi point, nor does my wife, she just owns one and it isn’t a bad shooter, my edc is my Glock 42 or either my Rock Island 1911 or my Ruger P89..... I wouldn’t risk my life on a Hi Point l

Bond Arms Snake Slayer is what I carry when detecting in the water. It's a single action derringer at shoots 45 long colt or .410. I have it loaded with .410 #6, though #8 would be fine too.

Oh I don’t carry a Hi point, nor does my wife, she just owns one and it isn’t a bad shooter, my edc is my Glock 42 or either my Rock Island 1911 or my Ruger P89..... I wouldn’t risk my life on a Hi Point l

I may grudgingly concede that Hi Points can make good practice guns in that you get to practice your Failure Drills a lot. But still, I've known of multiple HPs that kB'd and I ALWAYS get behind a fatbody when someone nearby is shooting one.

Folks, shoot and carry what you want. I quit on this. Smart people research and learn- others argue to justify their biases.

hi-point,,,, okay, i know they get badmouthed, but they are cheap, and tough, and will continue to operate even after dunks in water covered in goopy mud. most accurate or fanciest gun in the world ,well no. But, at personal protection range they will more than get the job done. like a ak47 of handguns they do not have super tight tolerances meaning they operate just fine with some grit or crud in the system. ugly as sin though. and if ya lose it your only out 150 bucks,lol. don't believe me just hit up youtube and watch some testing and trials done on them, and no way would i carry a nice gun when it is going to get abused.

I've got a Hi-Point .45....it's ugly as sin....but when you press your booger hook to the bang button it goes bang....every time...

For the summer I normally carry a Ruger lcr 38. Light weight, decent double action trigger and a very well engineered grip that softens the snap of a 158gr lead swc.

Not sure I would carry any weapon intentionally into the water. Not sure any non mil spec ammo has sealed primers to keep water from the powder more is there a was seal on any copper jacked bullet, that I have seen.

I'm rethinking being able to get a gun wet. I'm surprised there isn't a gun designed to do what I want. I've got a waterproof camera and a waterproof detector that I can hose off when they get dirty, seems like someone could make a gun that's dishwasher safe. Gun technology hasn't changed much in the past 100 years.

I probably should clean the ones I have. I don't buy guns, both of my Grandfathers bought good ones 40-80 years ago, and neither one believed in more than wiping them down with an oily rag unless they fell in the mud. My best gun is a 20ga Franci. It was Grandpas skeet and bird gun. He shot several rounds of skeet twice a week for ten years. He trained bird dogs and shot pen raised quail over dogs damn near daily. This gun has had at least 50,000 rounds fired and never been disassembled, it still has the dealer installed plug. I'm not going to clean that one, it was his favorite and somehow it seems right to leave it like he left it. It's still a smooth shooter, deadly on skeet and quail, it does seem to have a strange pattern that doves somehow can fly right through.

I think you're way overthinking the problem you are trying to solve. Just get a small dry bag (you can find a coupon to pick one up on Amazon for less than $2), and carry any gun you think fits the bill without worrying about the water. You could still waist tuck it to carry concealed, and with an hour or two of pull drills should be able to have it out and at the ready in seconds.

I'm rethinking being able to get a gun wet. I'm surprised there isn't a gun designed to do what I want. I've got a waterproof camera and a waterproof detector that I can hose off when they get dirty, seems like someone could make a gun that's dishwasher safe. Gun technology hasn't changed much in the past 100 years.

I probably should clean the ones I have. I don't buy guns, both of my Grandfathers bought good ones 40-80 years ago, and neither one believed in more than wiping them down with an oily rag unless they fell in the mud. My best gun is a 20ga Franci. It was Grandpas skeet and bird gun. He shot several rounds of skeet twice a week for ten years. He trained bird dogs and shot pen raised quail over dogs damn near daily. This gun has had at least 50,000 rounds fired and never been disassembled, it still has the dealer installed plug. I'm not going to clean that one, it was his favorite and somehow it seems right to leave it like he left it. It's still a smooth shooter, deadly on skeet and quail, it does seem to have a strange pattern that doves somehow can fly right through.

That's not a bad idea at all.
Just watch the local regs where you operate.

Right KinTN? Per the OP's parameters, a shark bangstick would certainly fit the bill and be handy for multiuse purposes...who cares about the local regs? A home made bangstick is untraceable!

Nobody would ever consider somebody wading in a river to have a bang stick....I bet a guy could rig one up on the end of a broom handle, probably a youtube vid out there showing the mechanics...and yeah, a bangstick would sure fit the bill.....especially for hunting urban totters...

The visuals would say: "Old guy with a metal detector and broom handle walking cane" .... Am I right?.

Right KinTN? Per the OP's parameters, a shark bangstick would certainly fit the bill and be handy for multiuse purposes...who cares about the local regs? A home made bangstick is untraceable!

Nobody would ever consider somebody wading in a river to have a bang stick....I bet a guy could rig one up on the end of a broom handle, probably a youtube vid out there showing the mechanics...and yeah, a bangstick would sure fit the bill.....especially for hunting urban totters...

The visuals would say: "Old guy with a metal detector and broom handle walking cane" .... Am I right?.

Most likely. There was a trend a few years back for urban ganstas to wear the powerheads as neck ornaments so some folks may be aware. But intimidation of urban utes isn't a bad thing when detecting imo. You'd need to waterproof the primer and the neck of the bullet, but Dykem or even fingernail polish work fine (I've tested both).
Downside would be single shot and anyone that lives along the coast may recognize them. Still, I like the idea.

eta: and if you do any wet sand hunting at all, you can claim its for its manufactured use! Double Win.

Back
Top Bottom