One-time shot, what do you dig?

jbrow

Elite Member
One-time shot at a permission , what do you decide to dig ? if you know you won't be back do you cherry-pick for silver , if you think there's gold , do you just dig everything and hope for the best? It's a mid 1800s hotel / room for rent in downtown

I had this problem two weeks ago, house built in 1794. The yard looks like a golf course so digging everything neatly would have taken too long so I stuck with known coin numbers. Left with some great coins and tokens, and a few relics that landed in indian range.

I agree with Remmy. I would start with cherry-picking. Eg.: pass foil, tabs, etc...

But .... of course .... if you're simply not getting anything, then sure: lower your criteria 30 minutes later, as needed.

Well, heres how I would go about it...

I'd Set up light and give the area a very fast sweep...10 minute quick scan in full tones to know what I'm dealing with and where the primary/secondary/tertiary pay dirt drop zones are...

Then, I got an idea of the depth of the targets, their composition and the locations layout...and I can set up appropriately and get to work! This is where a really fast target retrieval method comes in very handy...a screwdriver and a serrated blade knife life a steak knife...

You make one rip through the sod and wow out a fast hole underneath it to get the deeper targets...you dont have to dig like with a conventional tool and pop out a plug...not here in Michigan, its pretty much all sand/loam and easy excavation work...

You got one shot on a time sensitive location? It would be nice to put it off until November when the ground is wet and the grass is flat and the weather is cool enough to really put the blocks to that old Mutherhubbard! PRIME overall conditions!

If you have to do it Now, like this week, the dirt/weather conditions are not optimal...but hey you gotta do it anyhow...hunt fast and hit as many targets as possible within your short window of opportunity...do not diddle around and take pics or look at the finds or think too much, just rock that dirt for Old Glory as fast as possible! Thats what I'd do...

You can call and I'll come on over and give it a quick broom on my way to the beach...! A guy will know within about 5 minutes if somebody beat you to that spot and cleaned it out back 20yrs ago...

My detecting buddy and I have hit quite a few yards the last few years. That guy’s fast...I’m getting my detector out of the truck and he’s already swinging...so it’s cherry picking right off the bat, no choice! :lol:

Yes Cheri pick the silver and take your time being tidy. Maybe with a little luck you will be welcome back or be able to hunt till midnight 👍

Depends on untold variables.....

Is there a time limit? If no, arrive before sunrise, hunt until dark, dig the majority starting-out to feel-out the trash situation. If trashy, cherry pick.

If yes, cherry pick. Take some survey flags to poke in the dirt for those signals you may want to reconsider. If there's time left, go back and see what you missed. If out of time, snatch the flags on your way out.

This would be a cherry picking site. The size of the property and amount of time I had to hunt it would dictate just to what extent I would cherry pick , but the whole time I am hunting I would keep in mind that if there was enough time I could go back later and be more thorough. But if its a one time shot that means being able to cover as much ground as possible is crucial , and that means time is usually better spent on silver.......... gold range targets which usually aren't gold , can just waste the opportunity and might just keep a person from being able to hunt the entire site.

I had this problem two weeks ago, house built in 1794. The yard looks like a golf course so digging everything neatly would have taken too long so I stuck with known coin numbers. Left with some great coins and tokens, and a few relics that landed in indian range.

I agree with Remmy. I would start with cherry-picking. Eg.: pass foil, tabs, etc...

But .... of course .... if you're simply not getting anything, then sure: lower your criteria 30 minutes later, as needed.

Well, heres how I would go about it...

I'd Set up light and give the area a very fast sweep...10 minute quick scan in full tones to know what I'm dealing with and where the primary/secondary/tertiary pay dirt drop zones are...

Then, I got an idea of the depth of the targets, their composition and the locations layout...and I can set up appropriately and get to work! This is where a really fast target retrieval method comes in very handy...a screwdriver and a serrated blade knife life a steak knife...

You make one rip through the sod and wow out a fast hole underneath it to get the deeper targets...you dont have to dig like with a conventional tool and pop out a plug...not here in Michigan, its pretty much all sand/loam and easy excavation work...

You got one shot on a time sensitive location? It would be nice to put it off until November when the ground is wet and the grass is flat and the weather is cool enough to really put the blocks to that old Mutherhubbard! PRIME overall conditions!

If you have to do it Now, like this week, the dirt/weather conditions are not optimal...but hey you gotta do it anyhow...hunt fast and hit as many targets as possible within your short window of opportunity...do not diddle around and take pics or look at the finds or think too much, just rock that dirt for Old Glory as fast as possible! Thats what I'd do...

You can call and I'll come on over and give it a quick broom on my way to the beach...! A guy will know within about 5 minutes if somebody beat you to that spot and cleaned it out back 20yrs ago...

My detecting buddy and I have hit quite a few yards the last few years. That guy’s fast...I’m getting my detector out of the truck and he’s already swinging...so it’s cherry picking right off the bat, no choice! :lol:

Yes Cheri pick the silver and take your time being tidy. Maybe with a little luck you will be welcome back or be able to hunt till midnight 👍

Depends on untold variables.....

Is there a time limit? If no, arrive before sunrise, hunt until dark, dig the majority starting-out to feel-out the trash situation. If trashy, cherry pick.

If yes, cherry pick. Take some survey flags to poke in the dirt for those signals you may want to reconsider. If there's time left, go back and see what you missed. If out of time, snatch the flags on your way out.

This would be a cherry picking site. The size of the property and amount of time I had to hunt it would dictate just to what extent I would cherry pick , but the whole time I am hunting I would keep in mind that if there was enough time I could go back later and be more thorough. But if its a one time shot that means being able to cover as much ground as possible is crucial , and that means time is usually better spent on silver.......... gold range targets which usually aren't gold , can just waste the opportunity and might just keep a person from being able to hunt the entire site.
Thank you all for the great input! I especially like the flag idea. I could use that at other sites too.

Back
Top Bottom