Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 05-01-2018, 03:47 PM

Default First Shield Nickel Find!

Today I did a little detecting and pulled out a shield nickel. (will upload photo when I get back home) I can see the details on it fairly well but itís got that dark greenish brown patina and I canít see the date on it. I havenít washed it at all yet and Iím curious if someone has some quick tips because it will end up being lightly washed at the very least I just donít want it to end up like the Indian head I found last week which was in worse condition. I normally just use water and toothbrush/ toothpick on my my coppers but these older ones are tricky I know if I take away to much of the patina then the detail will go with it.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Elite Member

Cool find. I'd love to find a Shield nickel at some point. Cant really recommend anything as far as cleaning. Sometimes less is more. I have had some success with a quick soak in boiling hydrogen peroxide on some of my old indian head pennies.

IH: 3, Buffalo/V/Shield: 12, Gold: 1

Old 05-01-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Cool find. I'd love to find a Shield nickel at some point. Cant really recommend anything as far as cleaning. Sometimes less is more. I have had some success with a quick soak in boiling hydrogen peroxide on some of my old indian head pennies.
Weíre the Indian heads dug or just circulated? I may look into that and try it. Thanks!

Old 05-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by williammhatten View post
Weíre the Indian heads dug or just circulated? I may look into that and try it. Thanks!
The Indians were dug and pretty crusted. The peroxide kind of "loosened" the crustiness. (For lack of a better phrase) I did notice that it darkened the color of them a little. I wish I would have taken before and after pictures. Please don't go throwing your shield nickel in hot peroxide just based on my experience. My experience is very limited!! Maybe search "peroxide" on this forum. I'm sure there are others that have much more experience. (You will also find some that will tell you to absolutely NEVER clean a coin) I say that if you dig it out of the ground, you own it, and you can do with it what you please.

IH: 3, Buffalo/V/Shield: 12, Gold: 1

Old 05-01-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
The Indians were dug and pretty crusted. The peroxide kind of "loosened" the crustiness. (For lack of a better phrase) I did notice that it darkened the color of them a little. I wish I would have taken before and after pictures. Please don't go throwing your shield nickel in hot peroxide just based on my experience. My experience is very limited!! Maybe search "peroxide" on this forum. I'm sure there are others that have much more experience. (You will also find some that will tell you to absolutely NEVER clean a coin) I say that if you dig it out of the ground, you own it, and you can do with it what you please.
I just lightly brushed it and saw the date has been completely worn off so I just hit it enough to get the dirt off to see what details I can get out of it. Itís in worse condition than I originally thought but oh well I live near salt water and this was about 500 ft from the beach so any coins I find usually come out either completely gone or in very bad shape. I appreciate any tips I get though.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Elite Member

Nice. Still looking for my first shield