Sound examples

RFWoodVT

Been reading alot, some more, and then some more and I keep seeing references to understanding the sounds your machine is making. Words like hollow, chatty, choppy are often used. I even used a couple of descriptive words myself such as bee-doop.

Can anyone point me to perhaps a video or audio of examples of what those types of sounds are? Or at least give better definitions of what the various sounds sound like?

Thanks!

Look for videos where someone is using the same machine you are...

I have Capt. But none of them seem to spend much time on talking about the tones unless it is a really good tone. Most vids focus on the "good" tones and gloss over the iffy ones.

I'd really like to find something where I can hear a tone that is "hollow", "chirpy", "short" and the others, and have them identified as such.

I've come to determine that discrimination is useless, You have to dig everything expect iron.

I've come to determine that discrimination is useless, You have to dig everything expect iron.

To achieve what? And what in God’s name are you using?:lol:
Seriously,for coin hunting in turf,when targets start getting past 8-9” with a stock coil,things can get a bit weird depending on soil. However,that can be adjusted for somewhat by KNOWING that the soil is causing a degradation of info. And of course trash could skew a signal but overall,PROPER use of discrimination for a particular site is key. Digging WAY deep on the beach? Then yes,it’s way too risky to pass up the deep rotten sounding targets as they could be something fantastic.
Now where’s that damn beach??

https://youtu.be/T1ZdjH-1ekE
An incredibly important thing to learn,while COIN HUNTING,is that the signal should be coming from a single point in the ground,not 2 different places as you sweep back and forth. View my other one also....https://youtu.be/iqtCrr0eEpg regarding nails and what the response itself can sound like and more importantly,ACT like.

Thanks! That is exactly the type of video/audio I'm looking to learn from!

Been reading alot, some more, and then some more and I keep seeing references to understanding the sounds your machine is making. Words like hollow, chatty, choppy are often used. I even used a couple of descriptive words myself such as bee-doop.

Can anyone point me to perhaps a video or audio of examples of what those types of sounds are? Or at least give better definitions of what the various sounds sound like?

Thanks!

you forgot flutie sounding. It took me a while to figure that one out.
I would like to have a sound encyclopedia for the Nox 800.

Thanks!

I will post some videos, standby.

First one is Xp Deus chatty.
A video I myself did.
Listen to the background d noise Deus is making.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=rCtzXdyEyf0

Here is video showing Equinox chopping signals with GB dialed in error for testing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cFl22k-bGXY&feature=youtu.be

Here’s is video where Deus is tested. And depending on the settings the signal is infact chopped as stated by op in video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuANf3J3yg

Here is video where Fisher F75 is being used.
Note the chatiness heard.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mG3PmskfWdw

The hollow sound reference harder to find a videos depicting because detector models are different sounding.

Chopped and chatty are terms more applied to behavior as applied to detectors.
Hollow sounding is more about actual sound quality.

Last edited:

Thanks!

I certainly understand your frustration. I’ve also tried using terms in my posts from time to time in an effort to convey what I'm hearing from my detector - scratchy, jumpy, choppy, etc - and inevitably there’s a couple folks who either ask me to clarify what I mean, or even flat out tell me I’m using the wrong term. Not complaining - those folks are always legitimately trying to understand and/or help. My point is, I don’t think there really is a standard for descriptive terms used to identify tones. Not just because the descriptions are only meaningful for the exact same detector/settings in the same dirt, but also because each individual’s aural acuity and perception of sound is unique. One guy’s “choppy” is another guy’s “scratchy”, in other words. Take the same piece of music, and ask 10 expert music critics to describe the tune in words, and I’ll guarantee that you’ll get exactly 10 unique descriptions that each use different adjectives - same concept with tones on a detector target.

I certainly understand your frustration. I’ve also tried using terms in my posts from time to time in an effort to convey what I'm hearing from my detector - scratchy, jumpy, choppy, etc - and inevitably there’s a couple folks who either ask me to clarify what I mean, or even flat out tell me I’m using the wrong term. Not complaining - those folks are always legitimately trying to understand and/or help. My point is, I don’t think there really is a standard for descriptive terms used to identify tones. Not just because the descriptions are only meaningful for the exact same detector/settings in the same dirt, but also because each individual’s aural acuity and perception of sound is unique. One guy’s “choppy” is another guy’s “scratchy”, in other words. Take the same piece of music, and ask 10 expert music critics to describe the tune in words, and I’ll guarantee that you’ll get exactly 10 unique descriptions that each use different adjectives - same concept with tones on a detector target.

Great post! And this is WHY we must all learn on an individual basis,we just CANNOT be told everything. I’d love to be able to but it can’t be.

Back
Top Bottom