Amsterdam - Really COOL river/canal excavation site

jimther

Elite Member
Didn't know which topic to start this thread under, so chose this one as the closest.

A guy in my club (Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association - www.masstreasure.com) sent me an email last week with a link to share with club members.

In Amsterdam, archaeologists excavated and recovered over 700,000 objects from the river Amstel between 2003 - 2012.

This link is to a photographic timeline of objects found and is called "BELOW THE SURFACE"

So many kinds of items recovered, both lost and discarded were photographed and catalogued, including: coins, bottles, pottery, tools, clay pipes, buttons, locks, keys, animal bones, toys, credit cards and ID cards, weapons (modern & ancient), jewelry, household items, etc., etc...

Along the right side of the page, next to the scroll bar, is a vertical ruler-type graphic, designating time span. It starts with the most modern objects at the top of the page and works its way down to around year 1349, or more that 650years. If you want more detail on an object, click on it's image and read more about it. Some of the extra detail includes the ability to view the object in its display of similar items.

After playing around with viewing for a while, I recommend clicking on the INDEX Icon at the top right of the page (3 horizontal lines) and read more about the project. It really adds to the experience.

So, here's the link. Hope you enjoy it too. I'm still working my way down the page, which is HUGE !

https://belowthesurface.amsterdam/en/vondsten Best viewed on a bigger screen than a smart phone.

Jim

P.S. This site reminds me of some Mudlarking on the River Thames sites I've seen.

Last edited:
Very cool, thanks for posting this. I'm going to check it out now, my ancestors came from Amsterdam to New Amsterdam, now known as Manhattan in the 1600's.

Wow, that is incredible! Every little thing is cleaned, measured, photographed, and catalogued by estimated date range. I am amazed!
I probably would have shortened it up, by cataloguing about 60 percent of it as "Dumpster #1", "Dumpster #2", etc.

Well Foragist, I think you are onto something there with your Dumpster theory, but I guess the archaeologists need to do their thing and understand the full picture and that always includes the trash along with the interesting stuff. Still, kinda neat the way they displayed it all on the same page by era represented.

Jim

P.S. This site reminds me of some Mudlarking on the River Thames sites I've seen.

Very interesting finds, thanks for posting.

I've watched the Mudlarking on the River Thames videos and found them interesting. Looks like every sailor who ever entered there must have lost their clay pipe, LOL. Serious, if you've not watched any of these yet you should. Search Mudlarking on the River Thames on You Tube.

Didn't know which topic to start this thread under, so chose this one as the closest.

A guy in my club (Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association - www.masstreasure.com) sent me an email last week with a link to share with club members.

In Amsterdam, archaeologists excavated and recovered over 700,000 objects from the river Amstel between 2003 - 2012.

This link is to a photographic timeline of objects found and is called "BELOW THE SURFACE"

So many kinds of items recovered, both lost and discarded were photographed and catalogued, including: coins, bottles, pottery, tools, clay pipes, buttons, locks, keys, animal bones, toys, credit cards and ID cards, weapons (modern & ancient), jewelry, household items, etc., etc...

Along the right side of the page, next to the scroll bar, is a vertical ruler-type graphic, designating time span. It starts with the most modern objects at the top of the page and works its way down to around year 1349, or more that 650years. If you want more detail on an object, click on it's image and read more about it. Some of the extra detail includes the ability to view the object in its display of similar items.

After playing around with viewing for a while, I recommend clicking on the INDEX Icon at the top right of the page (3 horizontal lines) and read more about the project. It really adds to the experience.

So, here's the link. Hope you enjoy it too. I'm still working my way down the page, which is HUGE !

https://belowthesurface.amsterdam/en/vondsten Best viewed on a bigger screen than a smart phone.

Jim

Because we have a ton of newer forum members here, I thought I would revive this thread from 2018, which, IMHO is so cool.
I was just playing around with some of the additional features available at that web site (under the three lines index at top left of their home page). One cool thing is for example, if you see an object featured that you want to see all of that type, i.e., a bottle, coin, marble, lock, pistol, or whatever, click on one and in the information about it, you can click the general item description and get a display of only that type of object.
Have fun... I did.

Back
Top Bottom