My first civil war relic hunt!

Fooleeze

I got an opportunity this past weekend to leave Ohio and go on my first Civil War Relic hunt. I've only been detecting for a year, and have never been in an area that could produce civil war relics.

I first came away with a few bullets, so I was happy to find something that I normally wouldn't find in Ohio. I then hit two buttons, and found the pieces for a knapsack buckle, along with a J hook as well. Then I was ecstatic to come up with an 1864 IHP (fatty). I added several more bullets, and then found the bayonet scabbard finial. Finished off the hunt with a bit of a bullet spill and added several more.

I'm so happy with the variety of items I came up with. I very well could have walked away with a pile of bullets, but adding all of the other items makes a very nice Civil War Relic buffet to start my collection.

The first pic shows all of my bullets. Lots of 3-ringers, four Williams Cleaners. The middle on the left has only one ring and a flat bottom, I need help identifying this one. The middle on the right looks like a 3-ringer, but it has a 6-point start in the base.

The second pic shows a few odds and ends. Some square nails, percussion caps, grommets. The item in the top left I need help identifying. Part of a buckle or something? Key-hole?

The third pic shows the two buttons, 1864 IHP, and the finial. I'm most interested in learning more about the small flat cuff-button on the top. It's got a nice design including the star of david, it may be older than CW. Both buttons have their shanks. The eagle I button still has a little gold in the valleys.

The fourth pic shows my knapsack pieces. Both ends of the buckle were in separate holes, about 5 feet apart from one another on either side of a tree. Hm, I wonder what's under that tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20181203_181602.jpg
    IMG_20181203_181602.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_20181203_181430.jpg
    IMG_20181203_181430.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_20181203_181351.jpg
    IMG_20181203_181351.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_20181203_181253.jpg
    IMG_20181203_181253.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
That little Garrett Ace 400 did you proud Fooleze!! Some mighty nice finds, keep it up.:D

Uh oh. . . Is that in my profile somewhere, or do you remember old conversations? Well. . . if I'm being completely open about it, after becoming completely addicted to the hobby, I bought a second detector. I still have the ace 400 and use it periodically (my son uses it too), but I'm mostly running the AT Max now.

That little Garrett Ace 400 did you proud Fooleze!! Some mighty nice finds, keep it up.:D

Very nice. Star in the base indicates it was made at the Washington Arsenal

Wow what a nice start to hunting Civil War relics! That was a very good hunt.

Back
Top Bottom