New cleaning method?

glenny

After I soaked my 45 nickel in ammonia for about 2-3 days. It still had crude on it. I then remembered an old method of cleaning electronic contacts, (gold, and silver) with just the use of an eraser. I found a Sanford magic rub solid white eraser and tried it. Well I was a little impressed with results a little hard to see in the photo but it really shined up nicely. Tell me what you think? :?:

pic 1 - after
pic 2 - before

Attachments

• pict0396_188.jpg
    pict0396_188.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 675
  • pict0394_133.jpg
    pict0394_133.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 604
Looking good, but would you want to do that to every coin you find?
I just fire 'em up in the tumbler and let it run all night :yes:

Definitely do not use an eraser on any collectible coin. Polishing of any kind greatly reduces the value, the last thing you want to do is "shine it up". Original surfaces are very important to coin collectors. The best thing is to gently wash it without rubbing to remove dirt and grime.

What I meant be "semi decently valued" is something you want to look nice and value personally, but nothing actually worth lots of $$$. For me this would be wheaties and nickels or other coins like the shown nickel that really aren't going to be sold at auction. Ones that I put in my own personal collection to look at.

OD... before I learned that, I had about 500, 1948 pennies that I had been collecting since I was a kid, and I wanted them to look good so I put them in a bowl with Brasso and slushed them around a bit, then took 'em out one-by-one and polished them to a glow.
Now, when I get old coins (coin store, Ebay, etc.), we don't even make skin contact. :D

I check coin values first before doing anything. I actually use a copper brush on my wheats. Cleans them up real nice without scratching them. Scrub too hard though and you start to see them shine :D

keep hunting over there in east texas, I know there is something there around the sabine and red rivers. check for old ferry landing at the border and any old indian sites that are open to the public. good luck.

Only coins I clean are the spenders. Anything older than 64 never get any cleaning other than mild soap and water. I have cleaned some old silver ones, but they were family hand downs, and I will never get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom