• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Another George Washington Inaugural Button

Good Luck Jack

Wow. I just found this button a few hours ago. I still can’t believe it. I do have a few questions - I’m hoping someone can help me but before I ask here’s how this happened. I live in South Jersey and I went to this huge field that I’ve hit 30-50 times over the years. I’m at the point now where when I go, I rarely get any solid signals...it’s like you get these small blips and 95% of the time it’s just iron but every now and then something interesting pops up. Anyway, I was in a section that’s very trashy - I believe it’s a trash pit from colonial times? I say this because when I dig, I hit a lot of bricks, glass, pieces of ceramic plates, iron, etc. I have the Etrac and this field has produced colonial relics, coins, buttons, etc. The numbers on my Etrac 12-37. Now every time I find a dandy button, I like pray that I see a GW or Eagle or whatever and there it was. It was only like 4 inches down. It’s a shame that it’s bent but I don’t care. It’s a friggin GW button. I don’t even know if the shank is still there. There’s a clump of dirt on the back that I’m nervous to remove. I was in this field for 4 hours and other than this button and a wheat penny, all junk. One of my best days (if you can believe it). So here’s my question - I haven’t cleaned the button. I normally use water and tooth pick it but as some of you know, sometimes with coins the dirt actually helps outline images on the coin- I’ve made the mistake before where I rinse off the dirt and the outline is completely gone and it makes it harder to see the image. Is there a professional company that will clean the button and or restore it (maybe flatten it? If that’s a stupid question - my apologies. I would love for a professional to clean it up so I can display it in my office or something. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• E4A1D437-5027-4A66-A117-C15C858E2BDC.jpg
    E4A1D437-5027-4A66-A117-C15C858E2BDC.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 4,756
I say another GW button because it appears someone else found one👍

Attachments

• A293F402-6175-48DC-BE82-26691797400F.jpg
    A293F402-6175-48DC-BE82-26691797400F.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4,320
I just found one myself. Thinking about finding a professional restorer. Trouble is I don't know of one. Mine is the eagle with the star above its head. My story is similar to yours, Big corn field with few targets. Been to the field at least 20 times with little to show. The next time i detected there I found an 1821 dime. Since finding the dime I've spent over 4 hours among the stalks with nothing to show for it

If you find a restorer, let me know. and i will do the same for you, if i locate one

Hey Jack where u from. Eastern CT here. I know 3 people who have found these buttons, but they are still very rare. We should consider ourselves luck.

Wow great finds. I'm in CT too. I'd love to find one. Maybe one day........

Interesting find. Good job. I personally wouldn’t spend a dime even trying to restore it . Love it like you found it. It might get ruined by attempting to mess with it and even then if value is what you want I don’t think it’s worth much in that condition anyway.

Back
Top Bottom