X Terra 505 coming, Any tips?

AtomicScott

Hi Everybody! Well, after using my F2 for about 10 hours, I was convinced that beep & dig was just not working out for me. I wanted to pick up an F5 to replace the Vaquero I sold (great machine, btw), but something kept telling me to look a little deeper. I decided on the X-Terra 505. The multiple frequencies and depth are pretty impressive to me. I like it because it's like having 3 detectors in 1, depending on coil choice. So I have one on the way that comes with the stock 9" plus a 6" 7.5 khz coil. If there are any 505 or 705 users out there that have any tips or any info to help with the learning curve that would really be great. Thanks so much Scott

The thing I had trouble getting used to coming from the f2 to the 705 was the swing speed. I may have swung the f2 faster than others, but it didn't seem to bother the machine. So it just felt un natural in the beginning slowing down to where I needed to be. After I got over that everything really started to click and come together. Read diggers ebooks on the minelab forum about a dozen times. There are also some dedicated xterra forums out there, just look around a little. These are great machines with what seems like endless possibilities and options. You made a nice upgrade, just be patient and learn to let and set the machine up to do its job and the light bulbs in your head will start to come on.

By the way, I'm by no means an expert on these machines but I believe a fella on here that goes by "longhair" is. So pay close attention to what he has to say.

The thing I had trouble getting used to coming from the f2 to the 705 was the swing speed.

If the F2 is running and gunning, the Xterra is sweeping and creeping. Heed Morgan's solid advice and slow it down - it will reward your inner turtle.

Thanks! Longhair said the same thing, to read Diggers book. I think I will be able to adapt as far as the swing speed, I used to swing both my Vaquero and F2 fairly slow. I use the 4" coil on the F2 alot, and it really makes me slow down to overlap my swings more carefully. I will definitely read Digger's E-book. Thanks again, HH

Welcome to the Xterra family!

Look to the book for answers first, as you'll be suprised at how much readable usable information it contains. Your first few hunts you will learn a lot. Just go slow, read a lot (like the articles that I linked to), and when you can't find an answer to a question we'll be here.

I agree, start with Digger's eBook, it's a one-stop PDF file for all the basics about the entire X-Terra lineup from the day it was released up until the current models.

I have the 705 but the 505 and the 705 both have 5 channels of noise cancel. This really helps out with EMF from other detectors, power lines, electric fences and other things.

When I first started out with my 705 I put it in 4 tone audio and after getting used to the machine I put it in 28 tone audio. The 505 has 1,2,3,4 and 19 tone audio, start with one of the lower audio settings with the # of tones then move up as you learn the machine.

The biggest things are going to be setting the discrimination pattern, noise cancel, ground balance, and pinpointing. The 505 has three patterns available with 19 segments. The 505 has 50 settings for ground balance and the ground balance is manual.

The owner's manual has clear instructions on how to operate your X-Terra. The back page of the manual is perforated so you can rip it out of the manual and bring it with you detecting so you can use it like a cheat sheet. You can bring it with you as it is or you can get it laminated to protect it from moisture.

The order of operations is easy:

1) Turn it on
2) Only one detecting mode - Coin & Treasure
3) Choose a DISC pattern
4) Adjust Noise Cancel
5) Set Ground Balance
6) Commence Detecting!

One afternoon with your X-Terra and you're going to be amazed how much performance is at your fingertips considering it's low weight and the fact that it only uses 4 AA batteries. Best of luck!

Thanks guys, I have been reading Diggers e-book and it is really great! I can't believe all the tips and info in it. Alot of the info would be helpful to any detectorist, regardless of the detector brand they are using. Thanks again, Scott

Back
Top Bottom