Somber days ahead, for us all

hawgdawg

Forum Supporter
Just some thoughts before I head out.
Friday a good friend of 16 years had a stroke. He's a Marine Corps Vietnam Veteran. I've rode motorcycles half way across the country with this man, and others like him.
I'm a member of the American Legion, out of respect for our veterans , which I am one also.
We have 1 WW11 veteran at our post that still attends our monthly meetings . He is 95. Is still sharp in mind , but his body is failing.
We have a few Korean War veterans , they are in their 80s.
We have some Vietnam Veterans, and their health is going down as well. A lot of these may be attributed to Agent Orange.
I'm a Marine veteran , of Grenada and Beruit. And feel that I wouldn't make a pimple on a knats a$$ compared to some of these men.
Point here is, my brother is dying . He's in a coma now . I'm Probably on my way to see him for the last time. We have been talking of another road trip together this year, but things may be changing. There are things about this man that I can not tell, but believe me, if he considered you a friend , you had no better . My true friends, as with most people , are really fewer than you may think. When my brother passes, I will have one less, and not many more to go . I have friends, but the ones of this caliber are few .
So cherish every minute you have with your true friends, they are few.
Thank you to all of our veterans.
Semper Fi my brother.

THANK YOU for your service to our country.

It is men like you all that make it possible for the rest of us to have the quality of life that we do. I never served, but I appreciate and admire those who do and have.

If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm a great listener when need be.

I wish your brother a painless transition if that is how the cards fall.

You're both in my thoughts.

Saying a prayer for your friend and for you. I hope a miracle happens....

I am really sorry to hear that, and you are right, real friends are usually few and not always easy to find.

My older brother was in Nam and agent orange caught up to him about a little over 15 years ago and I miss him, he was my only brother.

I'm a viet nam "era" vet but was aboard an aircraft carrier in the Med and so was spared from the risk of being exposed to agent orange myself.

Some of the best friends I had was when I was a kid, I wish I could run into some of them now and see how they are doing.

Thank you all for the kind words.
Update;
I went and spent a couple of hours with him. Talked with the nurse . I don't think things are looking to good for him. I don't know how long he will be with us . If he does make it , I don't know what shape he may be in. I believe everything is in the lords hands now. When I was in the Corps, we were always told the streets of heaven were guarded by United States Marines , my brother may be about to take on his 2nd tour of duty .
Semper Fi bro !!!

Final update;
My brother has moved on. They were able to do a 2nd MRI , and the results weren't good . Major brain damage, and continuous mini strokes or seizures . They pulled the plug , and he went pretty quick. He's better off now.
Semper Fi my brother , you will be missed.

God bless him and you....I'm so sorry you've lost your friend.

Sorry to hear you lost a good friend, may he rest in peace!

Sorry to hear another veteran facing what we all will face sooner or later. Losing such a friend is tough to bare.

My time was Vietnam. I've watched many of my fellow veteran's pass on and many were from the effect of agent orange. Morn for lost ones but rest in peace knowing they did their time well and will be rewarded. In many cases, passing is relief from the suffering they may not show to the world, but all live with inside.

I still morn when a good friend passes on but I also am happy they're finally truly free.

Thank you all for the kind words. We had his viewing on Sunday. The funeral home even let us put his bike in the room he was being viewed in. I had the honor of riding his bike to his viewing on Sunday , and to the VA cemetery today for his burial . His final resting place . It's all memories now. Everyone, try to take some time for yourselves and your family and friends, life will sneak up on you and change your life and plans in an instant.

Back
Top Bottom